Trail Runners

3 weeks away from my 1/2 marathon trail run and still can't commit to a trail shoe (Read 125 times)

Shiksa

I have street running shoes that I love so much after trying out three other pairs with poor results. I know I can run the distance in them. I even got a new pair this week. I'm nervous about not having a trail shoe, but I'm really worried about getting a pair that doesn't work. Three weeks leaves me no time for trial and error. My question is, is it really risky to run without trail shoes? I don't believe this trail will be too technical. I don't have problems with rolling ankles or other nagging little issues. Ack! I'm having committment issues. Big grin

Stacy
    I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

t_runner

I have yet to find a trail shoe that is as reliable (as far as comfort and lack of pain/injury) as my road Sauconies. So every trail race I've done has been in them (5K up to 50K). If I was you, I'd risk running a trail in road shoes way before I'd risk running a half marathon in new untried shoes. Have you trained on any trails similar to the race? Maybe if you try your road shoes out on a similar trail, you'll feel a lot more comfortable.
      sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

I ran trails in road shoes for years. Until they made a trail version of my road shoe. For me the big difference was how they wear (or not). Trail shoes have a more rugged sole. I think that helps them wear better. I have never found the trail sole to provide better footing. The uppers are more rugged as well and they are not usually white so they show less dirt. SG
        If you're bored ask why you're boring
        Shiksa

Thank you both so much. I think I'll just stick with my road shoe until I have more time to try on several shoes or I do more trail running.

Stacy
          I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

You'll ruin your knees!

Yep, stick with the road shoe and don't worry about it for your upcoming race! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)