Trail Runners

Question to trail runners who wear road shoes on the trails (Read 459 times)

I haven’t yet found a warm-weather trail shoe that I love (although I do have a cool-weather one that just doesn’t breathe enough in warm/hot temperatures).  I’m considering trying my “Road” shoes on the trails, but wanted to see what the issues might be.  In particular – using them for long distances (12-33 miles).  What are the drawbacks to wearing road shoes on dusty & rocky trails?  Do your feet get dirty through the more open mesh? Does this dirt cause blisters? Do the bottom of your feet get injured from the rocky terrain?  Thanks!

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Trails - The one time I wore road shoes on trails, it was a rails to trails system.  And although it wasn't technical at all, there was a lot of rock, and I just didn't feel my feet were as stable as they would've been in trail shoes.

I've been wearing Mizunos and Vasquez and I really like them, especially the Vasquez.  The pair I have are at the end of their life, and I hope I can find the same style again.  Actually, the only thing I don't like about the Vasquez is the seam placement in the toe box.  I have to put a patch in there to keep it from rubbing on top of my toes wrong.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie - I love my Vasque, but only for the cooler/wet weather.  They don't have enough air circulation for the hot temps and my hot feet here in the summer.  My road shoes are Mizunos, and I LOVE them, and those are the ones I'm thinking of trying out on the trails.  I guess I could just try them, and see how they do.  But I've got some really long runs (20+) coming up, so I though it would be a good time to get a new trail shoe broken in for them, if I end up getting a new pair instead of wearing my Mizunos. but thanks for your input.
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
        t_runner

I have yet to find a pair of trail shoes I like.  I wear my road shoes all the time, this includes a trail marathon and 50K.  My feet do get more dirty, but it doesn't seem to contribute to more blisters.  I blister more on the roads than the trails in the same shoes (maybe more repetitive motions?)  I have never injured the bottom of my feet in my road shoes, so I think that's good.

The one thing I find to be not perfect is traction on more slippery muddy/snowy trails.  But I'll keep doing it until I find a pair of trail shoes I like...

T_runner - thanks for your input.  I agree with you that blisters (and chafing in certain areas) seem to be more prevalent in road running.  Anyone else with road shoes on the trails out there, even on shorter distances?
              Trails, you might also ask your question over on Kick Runners in the Extreme Running forum.  LOTS of experience over there.

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I have used the Brooks ASR's for several years now and don't seem to have any cooling issues.  They do have a tighter weave than the road shoes but no Gore-Tex.  They are ok for the road but hold up well on the rocks in AZ (on the rare occasion I get to run there...)

I had Montrail Continental Divides a few years ago and they seemed to have a pretty breathable mesh.

Good luck. 

Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Well, I've worn my Mizuno Wave Riders for all my runs for the past month, including a 22 miler on trails.  I got blisters, but I think that's from wearing the shoes longer than I usually do on the road, not from the trail. I did get a few hotspots taht didn't blister, so I think I'll be using lots of Body Glide (which I did use on the 22-miler, but maybe not enough)  in addition to my Injinji socks. My feet do get a lot dirtier but they're also feeling very "airy" , and these shoes have a little more cushion also.
                    Well, I've worn my Mizuno Wave Riders for all my runs for the past month, including a 22 miler on trails.  I got blisters, but I think that's from wearing the shoes longer than I usually do on the road, not from the trail. I did get a few hotspots taht didn't blister, so I think I'll be using lots of Body Glide (which I did use on the 22-miler, but maybe not enough)  in addition to my Injinji socks. My feet do get a lot dirtier but they're also feeling very "airy" , and these shoes have a little more cushion also.

Heh Heh.  I started doing the exact same thing!  My Wave Riders are great trail shoes unless it is really muddy or technical where I switch over.  The hot pink color has now been replaced by a lovely brown.  I think these are great shoes for fire roads too because when dry those roads seem as hard as pavement.

...---...

Being a big mizuno fan, I just bought the ascend - initial feel is great. I haven't taken them out for a proper test run yet but am hopeful. SOmeone mentioned that Salomon and Innov8 are really really good.

Any comments about these mentioned?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

SOmeone mentioned that Salomon and Innov8 are really really good.

My running buddy loves her Innov8's and just purchased her second pair.  A lovely shade of sky blue!  I just purchased my second pair of Vasque, but haven't had a chance to run in them yet.  This pair seems lighter than my last ones, have more mesh, and I didn't feel any annoying seams in the toe box.  At this point, I am doubtful that I will ever be able to rid myself of my blister problems and just try and tape up best as I can.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I'm on my second pair of Salomon XT Wings and I dearly love them.  I started with them because they were described as a hydrid trail/road shoe and I wasn't doing quite as many miles on the trails back then.  They're nice and cushy and are a stability shoe.  I still prefer to wear them over any of my other running shoes.  They're pretty sharp looking too, I think.

One thing to note, and this may be the shoes or my own stupidity, but...on a particularly hot day I wandered into a creek in a neighborhood trail system and didn't bother to take my shoes off before I took a nice soak and rinsed off my face.  After that, my shoes had a major funk that I was not able to get rid of.  Took the insoles out, filled them with newspaper.  Replaced the newspaper.  Left them outside to air out.  I tried everything.   I had to get a new pair just so I could stand to be in the same room with them.

...---...

..... I wandered into a creek in a neighborhood trail system and didn't bother to take my shoes off before I took a nice soak and rinsed off my face.  After that, my shoes had a major funk that I was not able to get rid of.  Took the insoles out, filled them with newspaper.  Replaced the newspaper.  Left them outside to air out.  I tried everything.  

I've had a similar experience involving a stream and a pair of Salomon shoes a couple years ago (not trail runners though). And yes, the funk from those shoes was of epic proportions. Like you, I tried everything: baking soda, carpet fresh powder, air dried out doors for weeks, even soaked them in a solution of laundry detergent and clorox (thinking the funk was bacteria related). Finally, I chucked them in the garbage.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Okay, so I bought the Salomon XT Wings today. One little job around the store and I knew. Can't wait to run a  trail in them.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Being a big mizuno fan, I just bought the ascend - initial feel is great. I haven't taken them out for a proper test run yet but am hopeful. SOmeone mentioned that Salomon and Innov8 are really really good.

My first trails shoes were Ascend - about 3-4 years ago.  I liked them then, but felt they didn't have much flexibility and cushion.  Have been trying to find the perfect trail shoe ever since.