Trail Runners

Hydration for Xmas...Recommendations Pls! (Read 239 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

If I ask nicely I believe Santa will bring me a hydration setup for christmas.  I'm thinking I would like something that would hold 2-16oz ish bottles, my iPhone and essentials.  I guess the main concern for these is bouncing around, leaking, and weight distributing (am I missing anything?).

Would you get a camelback instead?  I have a cheapo one but it rubs and is not very adjustable.  

Any input is welcomed. 

The idea is to use it for self supported 20+ mile runs on a trail incase that affects your opinion.

**Ask me about streaking**

NorNev

Check over on the Trailor trash Forum....they are discussing this same thing, plus they have a link to web sites.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Got it. Thank you

Birdwell

Look at ultraspire. They have a new vest coming out designed to carry bottles instead of a bladder. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Ultraspire Kinetic. It carries two bottles and whatever else you need. I used it in a 100-miler and loved it--no chafing, hardly knew I had it on. Only trouble is it may be out of stock. Bottles are SO much more versatile and convenient than a bladder.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I like bottles too- I like one to use w/ Perpetuem, the other water- you can see exactly where you sit- not so w/ a bladder, plus harder to refill

I use a bladder on unsupported runs that don't have water, otherwise it's bottles (handhelds)

Ultimate Direction came out w/ a signature series that uses bottles held in front (three different models), they lasted all of one day Sad  They won't have anymore till late February at the earliest, they most not have made very many sadly

I'll have to look at the Kinetic

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

I've been looking for a Kinetic medium at least 6 months. I wasn't sure how sensitive the sizing was and considered buying a large, but they also disappeared before I ordered. They've had the "out of stock" on their page for months. I'd intended to try it in a couple races this past summer that have aid stations. I prefer a bladder for drinking, but the bottles are definitely faster at aid stations. And the Kinetic has lots of pockets up front where you can easily get things.

PS: I stand corrected. Someone is trying to sell a medium through Amazon for $500. yea, right.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

So if I want to do bottles, the recommendation is to look at bottle vests (if I can find them)?

FurShirtFlyer

+1 for the Ultimate Direction signature series with bottle holders on the front of their vest. The Jurek signature pack is going to be my x-mas gift this year.

Uh oh... now what?

So if I want to do bottles, the recommendation is to look at bottle vests (if I can find them)?

If most listed how many hydration thingies they have, or had, it would probably fill the page.

I have three single-bottle belts, two two-bottle belts (one from '86), a CamelBak 100 ouncer,

and a dark closet where individual bottles breed when the door is closed.

What works great for one is something the next person does not like at all.  My wife does

not like any type of backpack, but like almost any belt.  Neither of us care for the vests.

I do think the 16-ounce bottles are a mistake.  The typical bottle is 20+ ounces.  That eight

ounces (additional?) water from two 20-ounce bottles versus two 16-ouncers is quite a

bit when out running.

I probably use the two-bottle belt and one or two handhelds for longish runs just as much

as the 100-ounce CamelBak for things when no water is available along the way.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

+1 for the Ultimate Direction signature series with bottle holders on the front of their vest. The Jurek signature pack is going to be my x-mas gift this year.

hope you can find one, I tried to buy one of their "AK" packs the day after they were released, sold out in a day Shocked  they won't have anymore until the end of February Sad

^ I agree on the 20 (or 22oz) bottles over 16's- unless you're running a very short distance, I can typically (obviously weather and exertion can change things in a hurry Big grin) get over an hour w/ a single 22 oz bottle

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

I asked Ultraspire when they expected to get some Kinetics in. They said probably next week with their webpage updated by after Jan 1. They may supply their retailers before they put them on their website, but not sure.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          Birdwell

If your set on UltraSpire, you may want to call one of their preferred retailers, the St. George Running Center, in Utah. They've had things in stock, when the website said they were on back order. UltraSpire headquarters is a few miles down the road from their store. 

They are able to ship quite a few things. 

http://www.stgeorgerunningcenter.com/

ALTRjeff

I'm a UD Wasp fan, but have not seen the newer hydra packs out there.  Mostly because I have had no issues with mine for over a decade & if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality.

I recommend working an aid station at any 50+ mile ultra and see what others use & are happy with. Ask the runners themselves, if it works well.     At the time I bought mine, after working Hardrock, UD Wasp & Nathan 020 were the packs to have.