Trail Runners

Neo Trai Runners Extreme Team - OCTOBER 2008 (Read 399 times)

Welcome to a new month, my trail runnin' friends! Kelly Girl - Where are you??

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

True. Earth to Kelly...need free training advice from the big time ultra runner and coack. Wink Registered for a 50K in Connecticut on October 26th. Immediatly got the buttterflies. Something to help me focus my training. Hip pain be damned! Screw commen sense!!! I WILL Run, and HARD at that. Reading all these race reports has pissed me off. Evil grin

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

What the hell is a coack?

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

What the hell is a coack?
          I have no idea, but it sounds nasty and illegal. Big grin

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Guys! I'm here. No one told me taking a 4 credit anatomy & physiology class was going to take up so much of my time! Then last weekend was the VT50 which I was crew for Jack-he kicked butt like usual but Leigh Schmitt still won. Jack was only a couple or so minutes behind-set a PR by breaking 7 hrs for 50m. This big time ultra girl is going no where fast now. My right IT band is still really tight and my hammies. I can barely get a mile in before I start walking. So I'm not indestructable Sad So what's up Buddo? I briefly cruised through the last posts of September. Are you signed up for the Bluff Trail 50k? That's my friend Jerry who's organizing that-real nice guy! What's your longest run so far? How many miles per week? No running hard if your hip is bothering you. Focus on losing weight after you're done racing-this winter that's your goal. But cut some junk out now. Just chill and we'll work this out-you'll do fine-the goal will be to finish. I have boot camp in the morning so I have to go-I'm already behind in anatomy again for this week. I'll pop in when I can-this weekend for sure-we're not going anywhere! Yeah! Ultrawalker chick, Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
            Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

"This big time ultra girl is going no where fast now . . . Ultrawalker chick, Kelly" Kelly, you crack me up! You TOTALLY have your hands full with Bootcamp and Anat & Phys. I used to tutor math at a University extension campus that was dominated by nursing students. That very class is the one they all feared. They would literally clear their schedules of difficult classes when they planned to take A&P because of its legendary difficulty. I had a great one hour run the day before yesterday and I think I ran 4.5 miles at least. For me, that is a pretty aggressive pace and I felt good and strong the whole time. Ironically, I thought about wearing my injinjis for the run that day and did not. I had a "feeling" that I might blister. I did, between my third and fourth toe on my left foot. Sigh, I should listen to my inner voice. Well, I am wearing the toe socks tomorrow! I am doing my long run and it is supposed to be warmish, so I plan to bring the bottle. I need to get used to carrying it anyway. I will post again when I come home with the inevitable questions. Greg, I am pulling for you! If Kelly is your coach, can I be your cheerleader? Kitrin
                Hey, Ultrawalker! Big grin Very nice to hear your'e still alive. Not so nice to hear about the IT and hammy problems, but they will get better. And good luck with your class. Dead Congrats to Jack! Are you sure he's telling the truth about his age?? Kitrin - I've found that I have to wear my blister protection pretty much all the time. I got away with not wearing the tape/pads on my 3-miler on Monday, but by the time I got home, I could tell that any longer and I would've ended up with a new on my right foot. Interval training today. 8 3-min intervals w/1.5 min recovery walk/jog. Average Pace/Interval: 8:04, 7:49, 8:25, 8:01, 8:40, 8:19, 8:44, 8:01. Total Miles/Av Pace: 3.66/9:51 (includes recovery time)

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hey, hey, hey! 90 minutes today! No blisters either, thank you very much to the injinji inventor. My knee just started to feel a little stiff in the last 5 minutes and I do not think it is a problem. I think I had gait problems from the bottle. I simply do not think I am a "bottle in hand" person. Leslie, didn't you post a few weeks back about a Go-Lite? Is that one of those bottle belts that I sometimes see other runners wear? When I ran in CA, I took a fanny pack and had some success. Even with the bouncing, it did not disturb my form as much as the bottle did by messing with my arm swing. I even had a wrist strap. Altogether, I am encouraged by my progress and ready to tackle the challenges that come with increasing my mileage. My next run will be short and slow, that is for sure. Leslie, I am so jealous about the Bizz Johnson. I traveled that way quite a bit when I lived in Auburn and it is gorgeous! Again, my jealously rages. Yes Kitrin
                    Nice job with the intervals Leslie. I haven't done em since high school cross country, but they really helped me then. Kitrin, way to go girlfriend! Keep pushing it slightly, and resting. Consistency and pushing the effort slightly is the way to get to your goals. Kelly, don't you hate it when life gets in the way of your hobbies? Well, I've been running steady for the year, but my first "cycle" I ramped the mileage up too quick and my butt/hip/back thing hurt real bad and I had to back off and start over. I also got the Fireblades instead of the minimalist shoes I was wearing. Since then I've been gradually been building back up. I'm at 32 miles a week, with last two long runs at 15 miles. The first 15 week before last was at a 10:00/mile pace on flat ground which was real easy and comfortable, hr around 150 the whole time. Last Saturday I went on the really hilly trails and did 15 miles at around a 14:30/mile pace, hiking the ups. I have a midweek longer run that I'm building up too. Yesterday it was 9 miles on the roads. I run on t,w,th,sat. W is the longer day sandwhiched between two easier/short days. so last week was 4,8,4,15. This week will end up looking like, 4,9,4,20. Next week will be 4,10,5,25. The week after will be 5,12,5, 27, then a final week of 3,5,10,2 then two days off and race day! I may modify the last week. Peak mileage will be 49 miles, two weeks before the race. It's pushing it a bit, though the increases are 16%,15%, 8%, then taper. I am just sick of not having something to train for. In reading all the race reports I jsut couldnt't help myself. I did a 50K last year and finished in 7:30 hours. I was doing it as a low hr training run. Lots of walking. I'm not worried about finishing at all. I'm worried about being in pain. I'd like to break 6 hours as a strong goal, 6:30 as a more reasonable goal I think. I would like to get some elevation info of the course as the hills are the only thing I think that will really affect my pace. I'm excited. Whatcha think of my plan?

Kitrin: Here are various versions of Bottle Packs. I have a single and a double set up. My double set is one of the Go-Lites for women. I think my bottles are 21 oz each on the double and 24 oz. on the single. I've tried running with a hand held and I don't like it. Buddo: Thanks. I need to learn to pace myself better. My times were all over the charts. Oh well, 'nother learning curve!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hi Buddo, thanks for the info. I'm not sure I care for the 5m increments each week in the long runs. Here's my idea: This week-4,9,6,18 instead of 4,9,4,20 Next week-5,10,6,22 instead of 4,10,5,25 Week after-5,10,6,25 instead of 5,12,5,27 Week after- 5,10,6,3 instead of 3,5,10,2 My thinking behind this is from training for a marathon and some plans only go up to 20m for a long run figuring the last 6m on adrenaline or something. So maxing out at 25m you're 6m from 31. I'm nervous about you hurting yourself again/more by ramping up too quick. Think about it, will it fit your work/family schedule...it's not written in stone and on the taper week the 10 was too close to race day-taper down to a race not up to it Big grin Coach Kelly
                        If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                          Well, it's too late for the six for yesterday, as I did the 4 on my lunch break. I was going for increasing the length of the long run most instead of total miles. So, maybe I'll only go for the 5 mile increment this Saturday, or maybe a little under and go with the rest of your plan from there forward. I'll run 18 on Saturday and see how I feel from there. Thank you, sincerely, for the advice. I was only kidding about the free advice though. Don't feel like you have to give me advice. After this race, I'm going to build a bigger base over the winter, drop some weight (my body composition is pretty good actually, I'm just a little muscular), and train for a marathon for the beginning of the year, maybe March, then start going for 50's and 100's. I figure if one can run a marathon in 3:30-4, they could run an ultra pretty good too.

Hey Kitrin, I missed your post above. Nice job on the 90 minutes! That's not a small feat. Keep it up! I too use a two bottle Golite waist pack. I also have a Golite backpack with a 3L bladder that I like though I've only used it once so far. Check out their products. They make great stuff.

I'm tempted to get a different hydration pack. The one I have is too bulky for events (although great if just out for a weekend looong run). With the pack I currently have, I have a tendency to put too much crap in it, which equals weight. One of my big problems with not having room to carry extra "stuff" is I don't care for the Gatorade and/or lemon-lime sports drink that almost all trail running events use. I like my raspberry GU and malto mix. It's much kinder to my tummy. If the events (like PCTR events) don't utilize drop bags, I'm screwed if I can't carry my own fluid mix. The run next weekend only utilizes 3 drop bag stations at Miles 9, 14, and 20, so again I will have the issue of not being able to use my mix. It sucks. I am going to start taking Zantac this weekend, and will carry Rolaids with me on the run, so we'll see how it goes.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Greg and Leslie, thank you for the input. I am pleasantly surprised to see that the belts are not as expensive as I thought they would be. I am sure I will do much better with water on the small of my back instead of in my hand. Kitrin