Trail Runners

Neo Trai Runners Extreme Team - OCTOBER 2008 (Read 399 times)

REI makes a nice one too. Their brand.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

So Leslie, how long will your hydration pack last you? What Jack and I have done is start with the hydration pack and switch to your fuel belt/bottle holder in a drop bag with your stuff that you drink in it. Stash more bottles of your drink in the next drop bags. You may have to drink water or something else from the aid stations in between drop bags if they're far apart. This is what I did for the 100. My hydration pack for the first 20 or so. Once that was empty, switched to my fuel belt. Jack was able to keep switching bottles for me at aid stations. When Jack became pacer, I still used my fuel belt for a little while longer but then switched back to my hydration pack for the last 26m. Hope this helps. Kelly
      If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
        My hydration pack holds 64 oz of fluid, but that's a lot of weight, and unless it's warm, I generally don't drink hardly anything the first hour. It will last me for quite awhile. With the upcoming race, I think I'm going to carry 2 premade powder packets with me and stash four, along with some Clif bars, in my drop bag. I'm hoping to finish the run in 5-5 1/2 hrs. If that's the case, I should be fine with those amount of packets. Where I'll end up having problems is events where no drop bags are utilized, like PCTR events. That's why I think I need to start getting used to the lemon-lime stuff. I talked w/my buddy, Karen, today, and she said that they have a tendency to water down the mix so that it's not real strong. If that's the case, I'm hoping I would end up being fine with it. With events that utilize drop bags, I definitely like your idea of wearing the pack for awhile then switching out, with extra bottles stashed in the bag. I'll have to remember that. How're you feeling? How's your IT band? Are you getting massages or anything? I'm trying to develop shin splints, so I've been icing, taking Ibu today, utilizing my foam roller on my calves, and will probably not run for a few days. I have enough conditioning behind me (fingers crossed) that not running hardly any the next week shouldn't be a problem, especially since it's taper time anyway. My run today felt really good. One of my best long runs in quite awhile. I kept the pace nice and slow and even, at a level I felt I could maintain for a long time, trying to mimic what I think I can do in the run next weekend. It's "trail marathon" (rails to trails), but it's virtually flat. For the first time in awhile, I felt "in the zone" about halfway through the run. Haven't felt that for awhile. It was nice.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

What the hell is a coack?
          Buddo - COACK is an acronym for "Component Oriented Accelerator Controlled Kernel". I have no idea what that means. Confused
          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
            You guys are cracking me up! Big grin

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

COACK is an acronym for "Component Oriented Accelerator Controlled Kernel". Sounds like a bag of Jiffy Pop. Leslie, I'm doing better. I did get a massage the following Thursday after the race which got a few kinks out. I can turn my head without it crunching! I rode a spin bike last Thursday and that helped a lot when I ran on Friday. Saturday was a bit tighter so today I rode my mtn bike for a couple hours on dirt roads and then ran tonight and it wasn't as tight. I've got a foam roller but I get bored on that in a heart beat plus it hurts. "I'm trying to develop shin splints" why? Big grin Bummer about the shin splints-been there, done that too! Take it easy and I'll chat tomorrow, Kelly
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                Howdy y'all. Leslie-good luck with your trail marathon! I'm sorry I haven't been more attentive, just talking about me as usual. I'll be rooting for you. Is it this Saturday? Sunday? Here's to getting in the zone for the duration! (insert mental image of raised glasses of ale clinking together in celebration). Ran 21 miles yesterday morning, 3-7 am. First 5 on flat, gravel/dirt road next to creek, then crossed creek and ran back to car on trails, then back down same road to 5 miles, then climbed right onto trails back towards car 4.5 miles, dropped to road to refill water bottles at water fountain, then back to car on road. I kind of got stuck out on the trail and overshot the planned 18-20. I just tried to cruise it in at the end, holding a steady pace, keeping hr down <150. a nice, even, steady pace. 21 miles in 4:07. i'm very pleased with that, though it was relatively flat. i walked all the ups. i pushed the calories hard, trying for 250-300 per hour. after mile 10, my hr started to creep up into the 155+ range and i couldn't seem to control it. i downed some cold water, maybe 12-16 oz, and it dropped to 145 or so and i was able to pick up the pace. guess i was dehydrated. it was 50 degrees out, real nice. saw first human at 5:30 or so. no hip pain, though my back seems to be casuing me problems in my right hip/butt complex. need to get to the chiropractor. my problematic left hip/butt/back thingie didn't bother me running, but is tender today. i can live with that till after the race. miles 5-10 were all zone on the trails, imagined i was running western states. trails were in real good condition. miles 15-19 i was kinda stumbling around. my feet hurt and i was tired. so, that's a 22% increase in my mileage from last week. 31.3 up to 38.2. dumb i know. i added an extra 24 hours of rest before the run, choosing to run on sunday instead of saturday as i installed a fence with brother in law for 12 hours saturday. tough workout, digging holes all day with post hole digger. rest today, then back into this weeks program with 1 more longer run on saturday of 22, next saturday or 25, then taper for the 50k. oh, weird thing. i woke up this morning and felt some crusty stuff on my nose. thought i might of scratched myself in my sleep. while in the shower, my wife asked me what happened to me. she saw a blood stain on my pillow the size of a silver dollar. i guess i had a nose bleed in my sleep. looks like i was just laying there and it ran out onto my pillow, so i wasn't thrashing about or anything. weird. maybe i had an anurism. nothing to be concerned about right? two hard days of effort wouldn't have done that to me i don't think? just kind of weird. see yooz guys. a="" nice,="" even,="" steady="" pace.="" 21="" miles="" in="" 4:07.="" i'm="" very="" pleased="" with="" that,="" though="" it="" was="" relatively="" flat.="" i="" walked="" all="" the="" ups.="" i="" pushed="" the="" calories="" hard,="" trying="" for="" 250-300="" per="" hour.="" after="" mile="" 10,="" my="" hr="" started="" to="" creep="" up="" into="" the="" 155+="" range="" and="" i="" couldn't="" seem="" to="" control="" it.="" i="" downed="" some="" cold="" water,="" maybe="" 12-16="" oz,="" and="" it="" dropped="" to="" 145="" or="" so="" and="" i="" was="" able="" to="" pick="" up="" the="" pace.="" guess="" i="" was="" dehydrated.="" it="" was="" 50="" degrees="" out,="" real="" nice.="" saw="" first="" human="" at="" 5:30="" or="" so.="" no="" hip="" pain,="" though="" my="" back="" seems="" to="" be="" casuing="" me="" problems="" in="" my="" right="" hip/butt="" complex.="" need="" to="" get="" to="" the="" chiropractor.="" my="" problematic="" left="" hip/butt/back="" thingie="" didn't="" bother="" me="" running,="" but="" is="" tender="" today.="" i="" can="" live="" with="" that="" till="" after="" the="" race.="" miles="" 5-10="" were="" all="" zone="" on="" the="" trails,="" imagined="" i="" was="" running="" western="" states.="" trails="" were="" in="" real="" good="" condition.="" miles="" 15-19="" i="" was="" kinda="" stumbling="" around.="" my="" feet="" hurt="" and="" i="" was="" tired.="" so,="" that's="" a="" 22%="" increase="" in="" my="" mileage="" from="" last="" week.="" 31.3="" up="" to="" 38.2.="" dumb="" i="" know.="" i="" added="" an="" extra="" 24="" hours="" of="" rest="" before="" the="" run,="" choosing="" to="" run="" on="" sunday="" instead="" of="" saturday="" as="" i="" installed="" a="" fence="" with="" brother="" in="" law="" for="" 12="" hours="" saturday.="" tough="" workout,="" digging="" holes="" all="" day="" with="" post="" hole="" digger.="" rest="" today,="" then="" back="" into="" this="" weeks="" program="" with="" 1="" more="" longer="" run="" on="" saturday="" of="" 22,="" next="" saturday="" or="" 25,="" then="" taper="" for="" the="" 50k.="" oh,="" weird="" thing.="" i="" woke="" up="" this="" morning="" and="" felt="" some="" crusty="" stuff="" on="" my="" nose.="" thought="" i="" might="" of="" scratched="" myself="" in="" my="" sleep.="" while="" in="" the="" shower,="" my="" wife="" asked="" me="" what="" happened="" to="" me.="" she="" saw="" a="" blood="" stain="" on="" my="" pillow="" the="" size="" of="" a="" silver="" dollar.="" i="" guess="" i="" had="" a="" nose="" bleed="" in="" my="" sleep.="" looks="" like="" i="" was="" just="" laying="" there="" and="" it="" ran="" out="" onto="" my="" pillow,="" so="" i="" wasn't="" thrashing="" about="" or="" anything.="" weird.="" maybe="" i="" had="" an="" anurism.="" nothing="" to="" be="" concerned="" about="" right?="" two="" hard="" days="" of="" effort="" wouldn't="" have="" done="" that="" to="" me="" i="" don't="" think?="" just="" kind="" of="" weird.="" see="" yooz="" guys.=""></150. a nice, even, steady pace. 21 miles in 4:07. i'm very pleased with that, though it was relatively flat. i walked all the ups. i pushed the calories hard, trying for 250-300 per hour. after mile 10, my hr started to creep up into the 155+ range and i couldn't seem to control it. i downed some cold water, maybe 12-16 oz, and it dropped to 145 or so and i was able to pick up the pace. guess i was dehydrated. it was 50 degrees out, real nice. saw first human at 5:30 or so. no hip pain, though my back seems to be casuing me problems in my right hip/butt complex. need to get to the chiropractor. my problematic left hip/butt/back thingie didn't bother me running, but is tender today. i can live with that till after the race. miles 5-10 were all zone on the trails, imagined i was running western states. trails were in real good condition. miles 15-19 i was kinda stumbling around. my feet hurt and i was tired. so, that's a 22% increase in my mileage from last week. 31.3 up to 38.2. dumb i know. i added an extra 24 hours of rest before the run, choosing to run on sunday instead of saturday as i installed a fence with brother in law for 12 hours saturday. tough workout, digging holes all day with post hole digger. rest today, then back into this weeks program with 1 more longer run on saturday of 22, next saturday or 25, then taper for the 50k. oh, weird thing. i woke up this morning and felt some crusty stuff on my nose. thought i might of scratched myself in my sleep. while in the shower, my wife asked me what happened to me. she saw a blood stain on my pillow the size of a silver dollar. i guess i had a nose bleed in my sleep. looks like i was just laying there and it ran out onto my pillow, so i wasn't thrashing about or anything. weird. maybe i had an anurism. nothing to be concerned about right? two hard days of effort wouldn't have done that to me i don't think? just kind of weird. see yooz guys. >

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

AH! Double post!! Sorry. Clowning around Howdy y'all. Leslie-good luck with your trail marathon! I'm sorry I haven't been more attentive, just talking about me as usual. I'll be rooting for you. Is it this Saturday? Sunday? Here's to getting in the zone for the duration! (insert mental image of raised glasses of ale clinking together in celebration). Ran 21 miles yesterday morning, 3-7 am. First 5 on flat, gravel/dirt road next to creek, then crossed creek and ran back to car on trails, then back down same road to 5 miles, then climbed right onto trails back towards car 4.5 miles, dropped to road to refill water bottles at water fountain, then back to car on road. I kind of got stuck out on the trail and overshot the planned 18-20. I just tried to cruise it in at the end, holding a steady pace, keeping hr down <150. a nice, even, steady pace. 21 miles in 4:07. i'm very pleased with that, though it was relatively flat. i walked all the ups. i pushed the calories hard, trying for 250-300 per hour. after mile 10, my hr started to creep up into the 155+ range and i couldn't seem to control it. i downed some cold water, maybe 12-16 oz, and it dropped to 145 or so and i was able to pick up the pace. guess i was dehydrated. it was 50 degrees out, real nice. saw first human at 5:30 or so. no hip pain, though my back seems to be casuing me problems in my right hip/butt complex. need to get to the chiropractor. my problematic left hip/butt/back thingie didn't bother me running, but is tender today. i can live with that till after the race. miles 5-10 were all zone on the trails, imagined i was running western states. trails were in real good condition. miles 15-19 i was kinda stumbling around. my feet hurt and i was tired. so, that's a 22% increase in my mileage from last week. 31.3 up to 38.2. dumb i know. i added an extra 24 hours of rest before the run, choosing to run on sunday instead of saturday as i installed a fence with brother in law for 12 hours saturday. tough workout, digging holes all day with post hole digger. rest today, then back into this weeks program with a longer run on saturday of 22, then following saturday of 25, then taper for the 50k. oh, weird thing. i woke up this morning and felt some crusty stuff on my nose. thought i might of scratched myself in my sleep. while in the shower, my wife asked me what happened to me. she saw a blood stain on my pillow the size of a silver dollar. i guess i had a nose bleed in my sleep. looks like i was just laying there and it ran out onto my pillow, so i wasn't thrashing about or anything. weird. maybe i had an anurism. nothing to be concerned about right? two hard days of effort wouldn't have done that to me i don't think? just kind of weird. see yooz guys. a="" nice,="" even,="" steady="" pace.="" 21="" miles="" in="" 4:07.="" i'm="" very="" pleased="" with="" that,="" though="" it="" was="" relatively="" flat.="" i="" walked="" all="" the="" ups.="" i="" pushed="" the="" calories="" hard,="" trying="" for="" 250-300="" per="" hour.="" after="" mile="" 10,="" my="" hr="" started="" to="" creep="" up="" into="" the="" 155+="" range="" and="" i="" couldn't="" seem="" to="" control="" it.="" i="" downed="" some="" cold="" water,="" maybe="" 12-16="" oz,="" and="" it="" dropped="" to="" 145="" or="" so="" and="" i="" was="" able="" to="" pick="" up="" the="" pace.="" guess="" i="" was="" dehydrated.="" it="" was="" 50="" degrees="" out,="" real="" nice.="" saw="" first="" human="" at="" 5:30="" or="" so.="" no="" hip="" pain,="" though="" my="" back="" seems="" to="" be="" casuing="" me="" problems="" in="" my="" right="" hip/butt="" complex.="" need="" to="" get="" to="" the="" chiropractor.="" my="" problematic="" left="" hip/butt/back="" thingie="" didn't="" bother="" me="" running,="" but="" is="" tender="" today.="" i="" can="" live="" with="" that="" till="" after="" the="" race.="" miles="" 5-10="" were="" all="" zone="" on="" the="" trails,="" imagined="" i="" was="" running="" western="" states.="" trails="" were="" in="" real="" good="" condition.="" miles="" 15-19="" i="" was="" kinda="" stumbling="" around.="" my="" feet="" hurt="" and="" i="" was="" tired.="" so,="" that's="" a="" 22%="" increase="" in="" my="" mileage="" from="" last="" week.="" 31.3="" up="" to="" 38.2.="" dumb="" i="" know.="" i="" added="" an="" extra="" 24="" hours="" of="" rest="" before="" the="" run,="" choosing="" to="" run="" on="" sunday="" instead="" of="" saturday="" as="" i="" installed="" a="" fence="" with="" brother="" in="" law="" for="" 12="" hours="" saturday.="" tough="" workout,="" digging="" holes="" all="" day="" with="" post="" hole="" digger.="" rest="" today,="" then="" back="" into="" this="" weeks="" program="" with="" a="" longer="" run="" on="" saturday="" of="" 22,="" then="" following="" saturday="" of="" 25,="" then="" taper="" for="" the="" 50k.="" oh,="" weird="" thing.="" i="" woke="" up="" this="" morning="" and="" felt="" some="" crusty="" stuff="" on="" my="" nose.="" thought="" i="" might="" of="" scratched="" myself="" in="" my="" sleep.="" while="" in="" the="" shower,="" my="" wife="" asked="" me="" what="" happened="" to="" me.="" she="" saw="" a="" blood="" stain="" on="" my="" pillow="" the="" size="" of="" a="" silver="" dollar.="" i="" guess="" i="" had="" a="" nose="" bleed="" in="" my="" sleep.="" looks="" like="" i="" was="" just="" laying="" there="" and="" it="" ran="" out="" onto="" my="" pillow,="" so="" i="" wasn't="" thrashing="" about="" or="" anything.="" weird.="" maybe="" i="" had="" an="" anurism.="" nothing="" to="" be="" concerned="" about="" right?="" two="" hard="" days="" of="" effort="" wouldn't="" have="" done="" that="" to="" me="" i="" don't="" think?="" just="" kind="" of="" weird.="" see="" yooz="" guys.=""></150. a nice, even, steady pace. 21 miles in 4:07. i'm very pleased with that, though it was relatively flat. i walked all the ups. i pushed the calories hard, trying for 250-300 per hour. after mile 10, my hr started to creep up into the 155+ range and i couldn't seem to control it. i downed some cold water, maybe 12-16 oz, and it dropped to 145 or so and i was able to pick up the pace. guess i was dehydrated. it was 50 degrees out, real nice. saw first human at 5:30 or so. no hip pain, though my back seems to be casuing me problems in my right hip/butt complex. need to get to the chiropractor. my problematic left hip/butt/back thingie didn't bother me running, but is tender today. i can live with that till after the race. miles 5-10 were all zone on the trails, imagined i was running western states. trails were in real good condition. miles 15-19 i was kinda stumbling around. my feet hurt and i was tired. so, that's a 22% increase in my mileage from last week. 31.3 up to 38.2. dumb i know. i added an extra 24 hours of rest before the run, choosing to run on sunday instead of saturday as i installed a fence with brother in law for 12 hours saturday. tough workout, digging holes all day with post hole digger. rest today, then back into this weeks program with a longer run on saturday of 22, then following saturday of 25, then taper for the 50k. oh, weird thing. i woke up this morning and felt some crusty stuff on my nose. thought i might of scratched myself in my sleep. while in the shower, my wife asked me what happened to me. she saw a blood stain on my pillow the size of a silver dollar. i guess i had a nose bleed in my sleep. looks like i was just laying there and it ran out onto my pillow, so i wasn't thrashing about or anything. weird. maybe i had an anurism. nothing to be concerned about right? two hard days of effort wouldn't have done that to me i don't think? just kind of weird. see yooz guys. >

Buddo - That is a crazy increase in mileage. Glad the hip was happy . . . although the back got cranky. It's age, my friend. Live with it. Wink Oh - and could it have been PO'd from diggin' post holes the day before?? Don't know what to tell you about the nose bleed. Confused Maybe write it down, your activity preceding it, and keep track in case it happens again. My trail marathon is this coming Sunday, the Bizz Johnson. My goal is to finish in 5-5 1/2 hours (did I say that already?). If I finished faster than that, you'd probably hear me screaming all the way to the East Coast! Big grin Kelly - Re the shin splints: I wouldn't want to go into a run totally healthy. Big grin The last time I did (SOB), I got swept. Every other run, I've gone in with some issue and finished. They're getting better, but I definitely have a spot on the outside of the right shin that's just not a happy camper. Will continue with ice/heat/ibu throughout the week. Also, a guy over on the ultra thread could use your ultra knowledge. He's going to attempt his first 50k on Thanksgiving, and although he's run marathons (1?), I don't think he's done a trail running event before. I tried to help out, but with only two 50ks under my belt - and one of those a DNF Evil grin - didn't think I was the best person to give advice, although I gave him some. Glad to hear you're body is starting to feel better. Have you been doing that boot camp? You're just telling them what to do, right? You're not actually participating, are you?? Smile

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Just have to watch the back I guess. Legs feel little tired, that's all, which is good news. As per the shin splits, I guess that means you've been pushing it, and that's good. Keep on track, ice and Vit-I and you'll be good. I almost quit running last year after a 15 miler in April, I remeber it well, where my shins killed the whole way. I wanted to cry. I took two weeks off and started over again building back up, no more shin splits. It's an overuse injury. Go slow, let your body adapt, you'll be cool My guess is the taper will take care of the niggles and you'll be good to go on Sunday. Good luck! Nervous yet? I've discovered I really like the excitement that a race interjects into training. It gives focus and weight to what we're doing.

I start getting nervous a couple of weeks before an event. And now with my shins and IT band barking at me - Ugh! But I am going to take it really easy this week, so things should be fine (knock on wood). Re the shin splints - part of my problem is I have been negligent in my strength exercises re those. Undecided I have only myself to blame. One time, a number of years ago, I had excruciating shin splints. It was awful. We have a big kinetic sculpture race here every Memorial Day Weekend. My husband's work sponsored a sculpture (a huge flower), and there was a group of us (the Peons) who wore tons of makeup, big hair, fancy (but CHEAP) dresses, bought Keds tennis shoes and put sparkly glue all over them, had flower wands, etc. We spent probably 3 or more hours prancing/dancing around the damn sculpture on the pavement. The next day - OMG!! Shocked I could barely walk! Welcome to the World of Shin Splints!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Leslie Good luck in the marathon this weekend. I hope I hear you screaming here in Massachusetts! Big grin My trail marathon is on Nov 8th. I'll try to scream back. Dan
                          Only the lead dog has a different view. My Blog http://breakhearttrailrunning.blogspot.com/
                          Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Hello everyone. I am still running, but am struggling a little mentally. I am absolutely loaded with homework this week, my husband is pushing his third month away from home with work (and hating the job), and I am just plain depressed. I ran four miles on Monday and really wanted to quit after three. I told myself that it was a good exercise in running when I do not want to. I would rather have physical problems than mental difficulties when trying to run. Sigh. Kitrin
                              Hello everyone. I would rather have physical problems than mental difficulties when trying to run. Sigh. Kitrin
                              Careful what you wish for there girlfriend. Sorry to hear you're depressed. I've been there. Okay, enough empathy, now to the advice. What are you thinking that's leading you to feel this way? What do you want and believe? Answer that when you feel the feeling, and you'll know where change needs to happen. Our thoughts, desires/fears, and our biology to some extent, give rise to our feelings. If you want to feel better, take a two prong approach. 1) do the aforementioned heart probing. 2) Go run. Get some oxygen in your system. Run slow, run easy, run on a trail if you can, get out of your head and into the experience, quieting your thoughts, and stay in the moment. Then take a warm shower, and feel good about what you just did. There's my unsolicited professional advice, for what it's worth. Also, not for nothing, it takes strength of will to do something that is unpleasant (like running can be) when you don't want to do it. Grab yourself by the scruff of your shirt and make yourself go run. 3 miles, at least. Do it. Today. Now, if you can. Also, get inspired. What draws you to running? Read something along those lines. Now, more empathy. Sorry to hear you're depressed. Been there. It's not fun. Remeber, it won't always be like this. A little ultra gem that is true to life: "It never/always gets worse."

Kirin - Hang in there. And listen to Buddo/Greg. He knows of which he speaks. For very personal reasons, I went through a major depression about a year ago. Part of what brought me back to sanity was exercise, running. I looked forward to those times 'cause it allowed me to just "let go." Sometimes I ranted and raved in my head over what was going on, and that helped as well. The part that brought me back to sanity was talking to a therapist. Don't know if you're at this point, but it definitely helped. In the meantime, post often here. We will support you and help to pull you through this. It may sound trite, but it's very true: That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Smile

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance