Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly - February 2010 (Read 500 times)

Welcome to a new month!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Happy

Good job with the 18 miler Sunday, Leslie - you are an inspiration to me; thank you so much for sharing your ordeal with us. I love to hear about it - whine or no whine. What's wrong with whining? I love it! Go Leslie!!!!

____

I am on a shelf for a day or two resting my feet. I have evidently over-done things a little lately; my ankles are giving me some trouble, limping around - this time it is my right ankle; same place as previously on the left ankle/foot. I thought I would make next week a cut-back but I need it now. 

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

under a rock

I got stuck having to run on a treadmill today because school was cancelled due to freezing rain that never happened. Tomorrow I will actually get to run outside but friday may be back to the treadmill, ugh. Sunday is still looking good for a trail run though. I miss the trails.

Sweet, a new month!  That means I have to turn in my Jan logs to the company wellness group.  They give us a $10/mo discount on our health insurance premiums if we walk more than 4 miles, 8 times per month. I finished with 227.1 miles, so I think I made it...barely. 

Happy Groundhog Day everyone!  Hope you didn't pack up your winter clothing Smile

Chris - They should give $10/mile/month.  You deserve it!

Flower - Look up ankle strengthening exercises on the Internet and start doing them, along with calf exercises.  They'll be a big help.

Runs - Yep, there's some nasty weather going on across the country.  Shoot!  You'd think it was winter or somethin'!  And has that dern groundhog seen his shadow for like the last, oh, I don't know, 20 years????

Later -

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

Flower - Look up ankle strengthening exercises on the Internet and start doing them, along with calf exercises.  They'll be a big help.

Will do - I need to get over this. Right now I can't think of anything better to do than try to rest them - of course I am on my feet all day so not really possible, but I will live w/o run/walk for a few days. When I get out of limping mode I may need to start some strengthening exercises. 

_

My day has gotten off to a horrible start - arguing with hubby; nothing worse in my books! I thought I was going to sleep a little longer while he took the kids to school and things just got worse every minute. I better not get into details as I am still very upset; all I know is It just works better when I get up and do everything - he is not a morning person. It was my mistake to ask for a morning to sleep in - when will I learn. We've been married for almost 19 years now so this too shall pass. I just need to bite the bullet and get up in the morning and do stuff - in that way I know it works. Hope you guys are having a great Wednesday.

5K, 4/28/07 24:16 PR 10K, 5/5/07 49:23 PR 1/2 M, 12/08/07 1:49:34 PR Marathon, 12/09/06 3:57:37 BQ 50K, 10/04/2009 7:27:00 PB 40M, 4/17/2010 11:20:00 PB

Happy

Hi - Resting my feet and ankles 

chillin' while wearing my bangles

_

Running trails anybody?

Definitely this weekend.   Planning to head to the trails for a 20 miler on Saturday.  Unfortunately, during the week it's a little too far to drive.  I've had a bit of a cold this week, so I'm really hoping to be back to 100% (or close) by then.
                    Hi - Resting my feet and ankles 

chillin' while wearing my bangles

_

Running trails anybody?

Hope your ankles get better soon, Flower.  I've been doing my short runs on trails this week - so much nicer, even if I have to drive a few miles to get to them.  And I'm also back wearing my VFFs for my short runs, too, although I'm stayiong off the steep slippery trails, and amazed, again, how my PF goes away almost immediately.

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

24 (trails) and 18 (road).  Right now my sciatic is a royal PITA.  Hoping it stops hurting so bad.

Flower - Are you taking ibu and icing your ankles?  The only thing I can think is they are weak.  You most definitely should do the ankle exercises and get those baby stronger.

Have fun this weekend, Trails.  Maybe one of these days we can meet up and have a weekend of running together.  You ever get up here in the North Country?  A beautiful place to run is the Trinity Alps.  There's a nice 18-mile round trip spot outside of Weaverville.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

24 (trails) and 18 (road).  Right now my sciatic is a royal PITA.  Hoping it stops hurting so bad.

Flower - Are you taking ibu and icing your ankles?  The only thing I can think is they are weak.  You most definitely should do the ankle exercises and get those baby stronger.

Have fun this weekend, Trails.  Maybe one of these days we can meet up and have a weekend of running together.  You ever get up here in the North Country?  A beautiful place to run is the Trinity Alps.  There's a nice 18-mile round trip spot outside of Weaverville.

Leslie -  Hope your long runs go well this weekend.  I've heard about the Trinity Alps and want experience them someday. I've been river rafting near Weaverville, a long time ago, and we returned from the camping at Redwoods National Park that way about 5 years ago.  We don't get up that way often, so I would need to plan a trip just to go run/hike up there.  Did you feel the latest earthquake?

Last week I saw a tv show about Table Mountain near Oroville.  I've been wanting to run there, too, so this is one we're putting on our "ToDo" list for this spring.

So many trails ().....so little time ()

Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Never heard of Table Mountain.  Will have to look into that.  Oroville is about 4 hrs from us.  If you were at  Weaverville, you were about 30-40 min from the trail head I'm talking about into the Trinity Alps, Canyon Creek.

Yep, felt the earthquake.  It was near the shaker we had a couple of weeks ago, but still freaked me out a bit.  And it shook for a long time.  It was very subtle, but it rocked for probably a good 30 seconds.  That kind of rocking where you're thinking, "Is it really still moving, or is it me?"

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Happy

Hope your ankles get better soon, Flower.  I've been doing my short runs on trails this week - so much nicer, even if I have to drive a few miles to get to them.  And I'm also back wearing my VFFs for my short runs, too, although I'm stayiong off the steep slippery trails, and amazed, again, how my PF goes away almost immediately.

PF goes away when you are off the steep slippery trails? Or PF goes away when you wear the VFFs?

-

I am a little troubled by some sensations in my feet that remind me of my bout of PF last year; that plus the ankle pain which I think is more of a tendon or ligament problem is the reason I am resting now. PF is the worst injury I've had - it was very stubborn and took almost a year to get rid of; a few days of no training in order to prevent it from returning seems better to me if I have a choice. I experimented with running in minimalist shoes and barefoot when the PF trouble started last year. I think it was caused by running in minimalist and barefoot but I could be wrong. I did some intense hill running in racing flats back then and it made me go completely over the edge - achilles tendons were shot after that and I still can't run very well going uphill now - a year later; I immediately feel the achilles soreness if I try to push it while running uphill. Just curious about your experiences with the VFFs and the PF. Mind sharing a little of your hard earned experience?

_

I am completely in love with the VFFs when I see them in the store; I am glad they are expensive - that keeps me away from buying a pair. I wouldn't know which VFFs to choose; besides, I have been doing very well with the shoes I have for the last 1/2 year and I don't want to fix something that isn't broke. 

_

I am glad you've found something that works for your PF. 

Happy

Have you told your coach about your sciatic pain? 

-

Leslie, thank you for your concern; not taking ibu or icing - it's so cold anyway this time of year..... pain isn't the kind of pain that hurts all the time, intermittent pain and a mild one, so no need for pain killer; but can't run when ankle joint doesn't flex right, so I am grounded. Strange thing is it comes and goes - sometimes it locks up and sometimes it is smooth sailing as it's supposed to be. Feeling better now that I have had 3 days off. Stay tuned for updates......... 

PF goes away when you are off the steep slippery trails? Or PF goes away when you wear the VFFs?

-

I've had PF for about 8 years, off and on in it's intensity.  I spent tons of money on orthotics, wore shoes all the time, even in the house, as directed by the doctor. 

When I first heard about the VFFs a couple years ago, they intrigued me, and I was interested in them, but worried about the feel and fit.  I have been a forefoot-mid-foot striker for about 6 years, so I wasn't worried about the transition. When my local running store finally started carrying them this summer, I was finally able to try them on, and i got them as a birthday gift from my family.

Within 2 months of wearing them on my shorter runs of up to 5 miles, I felt an incredible difference in my PF. To be fair, though, I made other chnages, too - I started going barefoot/sockfooted around the house.  Wanting to get even more minimalist with my daily/work shoes, I changed from supported athletic shoes to Bikenstocks (luckily the birkenstcoks are okay at my work most of the time).

I'm no expert on VFF running, but I can only tell people how well they've worked for me.  The biggest problem right now is how slippery they are on some of the trails I run.  I have to decide where I'll run before I know if I can wear the VFFs or not. Last month I was on a trail that was dangerously slick - litterly feet slipping out from under me, and I even slid sideways about 2 feet on the trail when I stopped running.  I put them away until this week.  I've been told tthere's another style with better "grip" on the bottom, but I can't justify spening on another pair just yet.  Maybe by next winter.

I've been long-winded, here, but maybe some of this will be interesting to you all. Oh - I also have only worn the VFFs on trails - never on roads.