Trail Runners

Dirty Trail Runners Monthly- July 2011 (Read 261 times)

New Month, Peeps ~

I was going to walk when I got home last night, but I was just exhausted after a 2.5 hr meeting with The Hub and his attorney (all part of the upheaval that is our lives right now).  The Hub went to an AA meeting after, and I went home and had to force myself to eat something.  Slept fairly hard last night, until about 3:30 when Wilson decided he wanted out.  I yelled, "Shut up!" forgetting The Hub was home and scared the crap out of him.  He thought I was dreaming. Big grin

Got up about 4:30 and did the Strong Body DVD (35 min), followed by 40 min of stationary biking.  Both kicked me a$$.  The DVD is working muscles that have been snoozing the last 3 months.  Lordy!  Will try and walk tonight, but am definitely power walking in the a.m.

Look at this: Ultrarunner Podcast.  They're using one of my photos on their home page! Big grinCoolBig grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hey, you know what? We're grown ups here. We can say Ass. Shit too. We can even say Uranus. 

Got a question for you and anybody else who cares to chime in. I'm in the middle of training for  trail marathon in Sept. with the bigger goal of my first real marathon 10 weeks later in November in the Philly Marathon. I have the opportunity to run my first 100 miler this Saturday. I'm in and I'm ready to go. It's flat and low key. I would love to do it. My long runs haven't been very long (longest has been 13 miles so far) but I'm in better shape than I've been in 5 years. I could do the distance, I know. Scared of what it might do to me but more concerned that it might disrupt my main goal of the Philly marathon in November. Then again, the marathon is 4 months away. Do I pass on the 100, or go for it and recuperate, then get back into the marathon training? My momentum is going well in my training. I'm afraid if I break it up it might screw me up for Philly, but I would really like to get a 100 under my belt. Yeah? Nay?  

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Which photo is yours? The main one of the mountain range? 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm in the middle of training for  trail marathon in Sept. with the bigger goal of my first real marathon 10 weeks later in November in the Philly Marathon. I have the opportunity to run my first 100 miler this Saturday. 

This makes no sense to me. First, what do you mean by "real marathon"? Are you implying that a trail marathon isn't a real marathon? IMHO the typical trail marathon is much harder than a road marathon. And, an unplanned, impromptu 100-miler this weekend? 

Are you serious?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Okay, first off, relax, it's just a conversation dude.

Yeah, I'm serious. I've been running ultras for 5 years. Not worried about the distance, just what it would do to my body and if it would impede my marathon training. I've been on the waiting list for this ultra for 4 months. I just made it into the race and off the waiting list last week, thus forcing the decision. In the meantime, with the overall goal of dropping weight and improving my fitness for ultras. It's not unplanned and impromptu, though it might have sounded that way in my first post.  I decided to train for a marathon for the first time ever believing it would transfer over to ultra running. Figure if I can run a 4 hour marathon without walking I'll be in better shape and faster for a 50 or more where I can walk if I want.  

I say real marathon because the times for a trail marathon don't compare to road marathons. I have a goal of a 3:30 marathon in the Philly marathon. Whatever my time is, I can talk to anybody who has run a road marathon and we can talk about our times and compare our experiences with a common terrain denominator.  For a trail marathon, that is not the case. I would have to always qualify myself. " Yeah, I ran a marathon last week. Huh? Oh, I ran it in 5:00. No, actually that's a good time. See, trail marathons are harder than road marathons due to the blah, blah, blah..." Not the same thing. 

No offense intended, at all. In all truth, any marathon is hard. Running is hard. It all depends on how hard you push against yourself and the terrain. 

Greg - I don't think the training you've completed to date equates to being able to run a 100 miler right now, but then again, I've never attempted to run a 100-miler.  If you are certain you can tackle the distance, then your biggest question is what's more important?  If you somehow hurt yourself during the 100-miler, will you be screwed for the two marathons which have been your main goals?  September isn't that far away.  I think it's risky.

And yes, the mountain range pic is mine, not the black toenail. Wink

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm quite relaxed, thanks. Just wondered what you meant. Good luck with that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

have the opportunity to run my first 100 miler this Saturday. I'm in and I'm ready to go. It's flat and low key. I would love to do it. My long runs haven't been very long (longest has been 13 miles so far) but I'm in better shape than I've been in 5 years. I could do the distance, I know.

So did you do the 100 mile run?  How did it go?

Hey Perfessr - You asked in the May thread how my foot was doing.  It's getting there, but I'm still not running.  In order to not do too much too soon, I'm making myself not run until I have gone a solid week without any pain.  So far, that hasn't happened, and the top of my foot can still get tender at times.  I'm still doing the stationary bike, will get back to pool running (haven't been there in almost 2 weeks), and am power walking.  Did a little over 9 miles in the Forest today.  It felt good on the ole bod, but the foot is barking a bit.

Glad your ailments seem to be healed.  Any runs in the near future?

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance