Trail Runners

Trail Runners Extreme Team - August 2009 (Read 377 times)

No running for me for the last 8-9 days. Trying to give the ankle a rest. 

Trey,  how bad was the recluse bite on your dad? Those can be VERY nasty. 

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Hey Gang - It's been a long, long day.  Okay, a long, long week.  I've moved so much furniture and so many boxes of office supplies, law books, etc., it's ridiculous.  I've just been exhausted by the end of the day.

And because I've been so tired lately, my coach has changed my workout schedule a bit.  I now have 2 rest days a week - Mon and Fri - with with the option of doing ab/core work those days, and Wed can be 3 miles running or 30 minutes biking.  I had already decided to limit Fridays to core and upper body, so I'll probably continue that and keep Mondays as true rest days.  Today, I decided to bike for 30 min, but had a hard time keeping my HR between 140 and 150, and also did an hour of whole body strength/core training.  Also, did a lot of lifting and hauling  with my boss today.  We got a lot of furniture moved, and should be able to get the rest of it moved tomorrow.  Then we have to start the sorting over at the other office.

Also, the office my boss is moving to - it has a really  nice desk set up for a secretary that is not being used.  So the desk I've been using the last 11.5 years was moved over to the office where I will be working M-W.   It'll work for now, but they are already talking about getting me a bigger desk, which would be nice.  This is is pretty small with not a lot of work surface.

The whole thing is overwhelming right now.  I will be happy when I can start getting settled into both spots.  I went over to my boss' new office because we forgot to lock the slider into this office - and I promptly set off the alarm.  And it's LOUD.  Luckily, even though I couldn't remember the alarm code, I remembered the Magic Word for when the security company called.  So while this loud horn is going off, I'm talking to the security company trying to figure out how to get the thing to stop.  I was shaking to bad it was ridiculous.  Took two phones calls and some serious discussion about who I was before they finally gave me the right alarm code (I was off by one digit) so I could reset it and get out of the office.  Geesh!  Stupid, stupid me.

Well, I hope you all had a great day.  We're on the downhill slide to the weekend, and boy am I ready!

Nite -

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

Trey,  how bad was the recluse bite on your dad? Those can be VERY nasty. 

Greg - By the time he was treated, the bite made him physically sick and he had a 'wound' the size of a silver dollar (from what I can remember). In the months following, he had some recurring issues but don't think he's had any lingering effects. I was quite young so it scared the hell out of me. I wouldn't go into the house's crawl space for a LONG time after that (likely where he was bitten). 

Thanks for asking.

Leslie - I'm ready for the weekend too!

I'll run today after work (couldn't get up this morning) - it'll be a road/trail hybrid route. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

Leslie, I think that moving offices is better cross training than my yard work.  Hang in there.  I am sure the new office (an desk!) will be worth it.  

Greg, I hope your recovery is quick.

I slacked yesterday and did not run.  This morning, the weather was warm, but cloudy and drizzly so I ran a little over three miles.  It was difficult to tell if I was sweating or merely accumulating water from the air, but I sure did not feel as sticky and gritty as I usually do after running in the warm weather.  

I wonder what Chris and Kelly are up to.  They have not checked in for a while. 

Kitrin

Hi all!  Sorry, still here among the living.  Busy week at work.

Paced my friend Kari at Leadville last weekend.  She had the worst run of her life and still managed to finish in 26:18, good enough for 9th female and 2nd in her age group.  (And also 4 minutes faster than I ran Leadville last year... a point she is being sure to rub in as much as possible!!)   She was sick and puking for 60 miles... she ate less than 500 calories in the last 16 hours!  Pretty amazing amount of determination was required to grit that one out... it was an honor to be a part of.

Trying to finish up a big project here at work, so I'll just link to my photos:

Part 1:

Leadville Photos - Vol I

Part 2:

Leadville Photos - Vol II

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

She was sick and puking for 60 miles... she ate less than 500 calories in the last 16 hours! 

My oh my!  I cannot even imagine.  Great photos, though.  How much weight did she lose during the ordeal?

Best of luck with your big project.  I look forward to seeing you back more often when it is through.

Kitrin

...---...

Chris - awesome awesome awesome photos!

One day, I'm gonna do that. One day. 

Congrats to Kari and the others. Very impressive given her stomach issues. Inspiring!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, that one and Hardrock are on my list too.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Chris - Congratulations to your friend.  Wow!  What grit!  I am looking forward to checking out your pics.  My friend's sister, who we crewed for last year at Headlands 100, is running Hundred in the Hood on Sept 26.  I guess they're already eliminating aid stations for some unknown reason, so she's figuring she'll have to be pretty much self-sufficient for this race.  Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

Today was a rest day - a much needed rest day.  Tomorrow it'll be 22 miles.

Have a great weekend -

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Hey Guys!  Wow!  This is a chatty bunch which is nice to see!  Looks like (almost) everyone is movin' and groovin'.  So am I.  3 weeks and counting 'til my 100 miler.  Last week I peaked at 91 miles but it was actually my 3rd 90 mile week of the year.  Congrats to Trey for his first 50 mile week-soon that will be a weekly minimum.  I can relate to the taper comment-I hate this time too.  I'll still get close to 80 miles this week so not much of a taper yet.  Next week is in the 60s-what will I do with myself?!  Keep your distance it could be ugly and will only get worse with the following week in the 40s.  Race week will be 117-eek!

Greg-Jack charges $100/month for coaching.  He's been coaching BikerNate over on Kickrunners and Nate is having a good year if you want a reference. 

So beyond running-life is crazy.  The boys started football already-this is the 4th year for my oldest in 8th grade and the 1st year for my youngest in 7th grade.  Yup, they're on the same team and may play together-should be interesting.  Work is OK-I'm hoping it will pick up with fall and the change in seasons.  Almost forgot to tell you-I'm going to coach a middle school xc team this fall.  Starts next week actually.  Should be fun and a good learning experience.

Take care everyone and Greg, get better!  Kitrin, keep going girlfriend-you'll be in the double digits soon (once the weather cools down).  Trey, good luck with your race.  Leslie, the feet will toughen up-hang in there.  Chris, wish I had checked in sooner to keep track of you at Leadville.  Check this out from Kevin Sullivan who was Andy Jones-Wilkins pacer  http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DD7SaS8irSJQ&h=dd7ff6d927593bea7ed4471633f5b0e5 

Nice way to end my post, huh?

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Hi Kelly!  Really good to hear from you.  Please post a reminder the closer you get to your 100 so we can keep track of you.  I wondered who made that video re Andy.  A friend posted it on his blog.

Hey, is Jack gonna pace you again this year?

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

hahaha!  Nice video!  That was my friend Kari too!  I've never seen so much puke on a course... it was amazing.
                            Okay - I did it.  . . . . . . I signed up for AR50.  Ack!!  I felt like I was gonna get heart palpitations as my hand hovered over the final button, but with a big shwoosh of outward breath, I did it.  And it cost me $125, so I have to run it!  Emailed my coach and told him we needed to talk soon so I could start getting my head wrapped around this.  I know, it's still 7 months away, but then again, it's only 7 months away!  This is craziness, I tell ya.  Craziness.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm one week behind Trey on the taper, let me know what meds are working for you! 

This group is really getting me itchy to do trail runs again, maybe the Buncombe Trail 34 miler next May for starters, the same RD who does the race Trey is running. 

Also, maybe Elkhorn 50 for my Montana race. ANyone done that?

Hey Ultrachick, that avatar of yours looks kind of familiar:

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

...---...

I'm one week behind Trey on the taper, let me know what meds are working for you! 

This group is really getting me itchy to do trail runs again, maybe the Buncombe Trail 34 miler next May for starters, the same RD who does the race Trey is running. 

Meds - Beer has been working for me ;-)

Buncombe in May. Hmm... That would be about right for me too. And close. I'm gonna pencil it in. 

MTA - trying to control a little rash, probably poison oak, on my right elbow. I'm uessing I picked that up in the trail when I was stripping for the spider hunt last weekend. Luckily, I don't have it anywhere else. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12