Trail Runners

Trail shoes (Read 663 times)

I know this topic is out there in the main forum, but I thought i'd start a new thread here. I wear Vasque Blur - and love it. What brand to you wear? Is it a specific "trail" shoe?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I wear Vasque Blur - and love it.
      I know Vasque only by reputation, but I'm intrigued. What about them do you like? How do trail-specific brands like Vasque compare to trial shoes made by "regular" running shoe manufacturerers? Cheer, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I know Vasque only by reputation, but I'm intrigued. What about them do you like? How do trail-specific brands like Vasque compare to trial shoes made by "regular" running shoe manufacturerers? Cheer, Jeff
        Man, I wish I could go out and try on some proper trail shoes. A couple of weeks back I ordered a pair of 'puma alpine trail racer' online and I am quite happy with them. Low profile, good traction, average weight, firm cushioning. It was a bit of a gamble, but I am generally happy with the fit of my pumas - failing that there is a return option, or I could wear them as street shoes. I have seen some of the bulkier Montrail shoes, and they are not as clunky as, say, adidas trail running shoes. It seems that small-manufacturer trail shoes fall somewhere between a pure XC racing shoe and loaded-with-features shoes.. check for example Walsh or Inov-8. Now if only I could find a retailer that stocks them, damn it!

You'll ruin your knees!

While trail running is on the rise, retailers still lag way behind on stocking a variety. I have found a great way to try different things. REI (get the membership, it's worth it!) will allow you to order anything they carry (not limited to what's in stores) online directly to the store nearest you without charging freight! That provides the option to order a few different styles/sizes and keep the ones you like. Keep in mind they charge you when the items ship from the warehouse to the store, but you can try them on in the store when they come in and return the ones you don't want. Additionally, they have the most liberal return policy of any retailer out there (I try not to abuse this...). I may take something and try it (not abusing it by running with shoes on nasty trails) and if I am not satisfied, they take it back no questions asked! As for the shoes I run in... Rough, technical trails - Montrail Hardrocks (I'm on my 5th pair and have 2 additional new pairs already on the shelf) Everyday gentle trails - Montrail Leona Divide - these have been discontinued Sloppy, cold conditions - Montrail Hurricane - these are waterproof and hot, so I don't get to wear them much in Texas...BUT, they will also keep sand from seeping into the toebox, may have to re-try them on some local trails...same last/tread as the Leona Divide I have not tried Vasque or Merrill shoes for running. I am interested in some of the Inov-8 shoes, but have not tried them on yet...they are pretty minimalist and I tend to like the beefier stuff, cause I'm always kicking a root or rock or tripping over something...thank God for toe-bumpers! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You know, I've only been tail running for a year, so my 2 cents isn't based on a whole lot of experience. BUT, do run a lot of pretty rocky, steep, root ridden trails, with water crossings, etc. I have a pair of Mizuno Ascend and the Vasque for the trails. From what I understand, both are considered a "hybrid". I don't wear the Vasque on the road. The Mizunos seem much stiffer and harder on the feet than the Vasque, yet I love the Mizuno Wave Rider for a road shoe. The Blurs drain well after water crossings, I like how light weight they are, and they have a pretty good bottom tread and toe guard, yet are flexible. I tend to need a lot of toe room and front toe reinforcement, since I have been know to wear a hole in the mesh toe within 10 miles on a road shoe. I don't know if the Vasque Blur tongue is sewn to the side of the shoe (i'm too lazy right now to go upstairs to check).
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
              Anyone have any Salomons? I've heard a lot of good things about them.
                I wear Brooks Cascadia and like them alot - big toebox, some stability, low profile, and they keep the dirt out. I don't run serious trails since I live in NW Ohio flatlands, but do run rolling trails in the local metroparks. So I can't testify for the shoes beyond that.
                The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
                  I wear Brooks Cascadia and like them alot -.
                  Those are the shoes I had my eye on for this summer - Brooks is the only shoe I have found that "fits" my foot - I love the "mogo" midsole and I understand that Cascadia will be getting this upgrade in July(?).

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

Wasatch Speedgoat

I now wear the Brooks Adrenaline ASR's. I wore the Montrail Vitesse for many years and loved them, but threats of them being discontinued led me to look elsewhere. I have worn Vasque, the Amp, I think....and the only issue I had with them is my forefoot got sore on the Hardrock course after only about 12 hours....so I'm thinking not enough protection for those type of trails. I have also worn Inov-8's and have to say that they may have been "the" most comfortable pair of running shoes I've ever had on my feet. But again not enough protection underfoot for me. I'm a heavy runner (155 lbs) and sortof crash into the ground on downhills. A great place to buy Inov-8's is www.zombierunner.com . I have also heard good things about the Asics 2120 trail shoes. I wear the road version on the roads and might give those a try, but not this year...I'll be sticking with my Brooks which are working great. I also agree with someone on here that mentioned trial shoes by "hiking" shoe companies VS Running shoe companies. I'd stick with the running shoe companies...we are running not hiking! Steve

Life is short, play hard!

I have also heard good things about the Asics 2120 trail shoes. I wear the road version on the roads and might give those a try, but not this year...I'll be sticking with my Brooks which are working great.
                      My latest (now with over 300 miles, though) are the trail Asics 2120. I like that they are lightweight and they breathe well. I still have a problem with my big toe rubbing a hole in the upper mesh, though, especially now with them getting wet on the runs. I'de like to try another Ascis that may have more durable (rubber coating) over more of that toe. Any other recomendations for wet weather running?
                        I bit on the minimalist mindset. I trained in Hi-Tec Sorroco sandals from May forward. Ran the VT50 in them. My feet hurt badly afterwards. I weighed 173 or so then. They have no heel buildup which was my primary concern. I have ordered some NB racing flats but have yet to run in them. I avoid anything with a built up heel.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

I rotate between a lot of shoes, but I run mostly roads. When I run trails, I usually use my Inov8 Roclite 315s, although I will sometimes use my North Face Arnuva 50s (especially if I have to run the roads to get to the trails.) When I ran my first 50k trail race a few months ago, I used the North Face shoes, since I had just gotten the inov8s a few days earlier.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I have been running on Montrail Odessey for the last year; they seem to be a decent "cross over" shoe; meaning they are ok on both the road and the trail. I hardly ever run on the road but I prefer a light shoe which is why I like these.

Goals: 20:00 5K, 3:30 Marathon, Finish Marathon, 4:00 Marathon, Finish IronMan, 45:00 10K

Steve, I wear the Asics 2120 trail and love them. I also wear the 2120 road shoes so it's great having the same style to go back and forth between. I really can't even tell the difference between the two when I'm running...not sure if that's good or bad!
                              www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com

OilCreek100.org

Trail shoes I wear and what I view them as good for: Brooks ASR's - good all-around shoe, could use a more aggressive tread for the super-steep hills Vasque Velocity - good cushioning for the technical trails - you don't feel the rocks and roots as much; aggressive tread Salomon XA Pro 3D - good all-around shoe for non-technical trails - not enough cushioning for long technical runs (can feel every rock and root) New Balance 872 - nice and cool due to the mesh upper, aggressive tread, good all-around shoe; not as much cushioning for the long technical trails (can feel the rocks and roots like the Salomon's) I have been thinking of getting the Vasque Blur, does anyone know if it is as cushiony as the Velocity? I run a lot of miles on technical trails and I need the extra cushioning or else my feet feel like they have been through a meat tenderizer after 25 miles or so (with the Salomon's, New Balance, even the Brooks ASR's).