Trail Runners

Run at the Rock 2007 Race Report. (Read 126 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, all. Last year, I had a tough time at the Run at the Rock in Burlington, NC. To see last year's race report, go to: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/144f56a1781f472f9bdec12dbd183892#focus This year's: The alarm clock went off waaay too early (at 6:30) this morning, but race-day is no day to hit the snooze. Got up, dressed, and had breakfast. Breakfast of champions: Food Lion frozen pizza - 2 minutes in the microwave to hot, gooey, drip-on-your-shirt pizza goodness. Big grin Got out the door with plenty of time to spare and drove the hour from Raleigh to Burlington in a surprisingly awake state given the fact I didn't get to sleep unitl after 2:45 this morning... It was frosty in Burlington, and I could see the ice crystals on the grass where we were parking. We've not really had winter yet in Raleigh, so that was a bit of a change. Bundled up in sweats over shorts, long shirts over t-shirts, coat, and hat, I shivered my way over to the line to collect bib and packet. Last year they were handing out good-sized tote-bags instead of t-shirts. This year it was a long-sleeved technical tee. I changed in the car into my race tee because I'd only brought a short-sleeved tee with me and didn't fancy being cold. D'oh! Mental note: long sleeved tee and shorts works perfectly at 35 degrees... There are two races at the Run at the Rock, a 7 mile and a 14 mile. The 14 mile runners do two laps of the trail, the 7 milers just one. The 14 mile group leaves fifteen minutes before the 7 mile group, so they had a bit of a head start. A shot from a cannon starts us. Yes, a cannon - this is actually a historic park... something pre-Revolutionary war. As we take off, I deliberately hang back even more than usual. I've been having knee and foot issues off and on since MAY and never really was able to train well for this race. I'm racing 7 miles of trails, and the last time I ran 7 miles was back on 10/29/07 -... once... scanning back through my log I was able to run 6 miles in July...again, once... and that's the longest since that fateful HM in May. Can you see why I was nervous about a 7 mile race? Quite undertrained! So, last week, I realized that I'd do better if I just approached this as a long-run rather than a race. I was going to be attempting a long run that was significantly longer than usual. That's all. No big deal, right? Just take it easy and I'll get through it. Just go out there and enjoy the day and the woods and the fresh air and someone offering refreshments along my route. Big grin Well, it was a good plan. First mile: 14 minutes. (Had some easy terrain.) Second mile: 16 minutes. Third mile: 15 minutes. This is where I really started struggling last year. Fourth mile: 13 minutes. Hey, I'm feeling pretty good here... Fifth mile: 13 minutes. Aw, shoot. I can finish this up no problem! Sixth mile: about 11 1/2 minutes. 7th mile: I sprain my ankle!!! I have to stop. I can't put weight on it. I hop over to a tree and hang on. I wait. Test. Ouch. Wait. Test. Ouch. Okay, gotta finish anyway. It hurts to stand on it. Walking slowly - limp, limp, limp. It eases up a bit. Walking moderately. Limp, limp, limp. Easing up. Jogging with a limp. The further I go, the less it hurts. Back to running through it feels weak. In less than a half mile I am back to race pace and determined to finish strong. I finish up: 1:36! Wow, what a time! Last year I finished in 1:42 and was just glad to be alive! Last year the mud was terrible, I was exhausted and had to cut my planned 14 mile run down to the 7 mile run. This year there was no mud, I felt great the whole race except for the sprain, and I still had more left to give at the end. I could have gone several more miles at that pace! In spite of not being running-trained for the distance, I had a much better race this year than last. Perhaps it was my cross-training: martial arts and strength training. Perhaps it was the 10+ pounds lighter I am this year. Perhaps it's just another year's worth of running and being on trails. But really, I think the biggest difference was that I wasn't having to fight the mud. No mud, I have learned, is a GOOD THING! Big grin Trail races are LOTS of fun. When you don't have to worry about losing your shoes in the quagmire. I iced the ankle at the end, took some advil, and it's doing pretty well. I didn't hear a "pop" when it went, and the swelling is minimal (so far). It's only slightly uncomfortable right now. I think I'll ice it again, take some ibuprofin before bed, and if I'm not working I'll just wear an ankle support/wrap to tkd class tomorrow (it's a "forms" class so I won't be jumping, lol!). I'm not expecting more problems. Big grin If you like to run on trails, the Run at the Rock is an awesome race. The course is very challenging. The scenery is mostly woods. And they serve hot soup at the end. Big grin I'd run 7 miles in the cold for hot soup. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

You'll ruin your knees!

Awesome job! Way to stick with it and work through that ankle problem. Hopefully, it's OK and won't be an ongoing issue. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Wingz - really liked your report. I think it is awesome the way you still went out and ran, feeling so underprepared. I wish we lived closer, since we run at the same pace, it seems, and have similar goals - to enjoy the trail and the run!
        Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
          Thanks for sharing! Hope your ankle is feeling better.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance