Trail Runners

Neo-Trail Runners Extreme Team-February 2009 (Read 374 times)

Howdy folks! Greetings from Philly. Well, it's another month. Our little community is growing with the additions of Chris and old guy and a few others. Keep popping in guys. We like hearing from people from around the country. This weekend I was at "The Shore" as they call it here, New Jersey. I went to Harvey Cedars, a barrier island. There is an old victorian hotel built in the 1800's that was turned into a Christian conference center. It is very beuautiful. I was speaking to a group of about 30 men from a church in New Jersey for their annual men's retreat. I was speaking on how to live in relationships with each other in an effective manner, how to counsel one another. It was great, though I had an undercurrent of anxiety the whole time. It energizes my speaking and makes me a better speaker normally but has the tendency to wring me out emotionally. I was able to get up and go running each day, Sunday with a couple of the guys from the group. Ran down the beach the first day but the sand was too soft, so returned to the hotel on the road. It was about 20 degrees out. The island is very narrow, maybe 1000 meters. Between the island and the mainland is a waterway, or bay. Last year one of the men and I jumped in on Saturday morning. We had planned on doing it this year too. Saturday, we ran out of time. I wasn't too excited about it as the water had a crust of ice on it, and this is saltwater. Sunday, the wind kicked up and pushed all the ice chunks up against the beach so there was no available spot to go in. Darn. It was piled up against the beach. No thank you. VERY cold. I didn't have a chance to run a long run yesterday. Going to try and get some runs in this week. Dealing with people, teaching people how to love one another well, has diminished the importance of running once more in my heart. I don't really care I missed my long run this weekend (gasp!!). True. My identity as a Christian and helper was what I lived out of all weekend, and it's inspired me once more to be on fire about writing and serving, keeping priorities in place. I also was able to play some music and listen to some good music with the guys, piano, mandolin, guitar. It inspired me and lifted my emotions and led me to want to devote some time to music. So, who know what will happen over the next few weeks. We'll see. Gonna probably run some tomorrow, try to make it to the gym tonight. Psuedo-hugs. What'd you guys do? Leslie, pulling for you girlfriend. You too Kitrin.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

I'm here. I ran 4.5 tough miles on Saturday (the trail was CRAZY BUSY!), but nothing on Sunday. I BARELY fit in church, lunch, prep for the Superbowl Party and came home, exhausted, late after the game. GREAT GAME! Probably the best I have ever seen with so much drama. I wish I had behaved a little better with regard to what I ate, but . . . I will run it out this week. I am not sure how WELL I will run on the junk fuel that I consumed yesterday. DH and I are coming to terms with the situation. We lived a spoiled life in the past as far as spending time together, so we will simply buck up now. We both believe that this separation will not last for six months, maybe four. By that time, our exchange student will be returning to her home country and I can go spend as much time with him as I want. That will be a relief. Leslie, I really admire your dedication to running (literally) through all your tests and physical trials. Sometimes this stuff takes longer than we like, but I am confident that you will be better than ever in the end. Keep up the good work and attitude! I agree with Greg. It is great to see our small circle expanding. Welcome all! Kitrin
        Hey Gang - Greg - Thanks for starting us out this month. Sounds like a great retreat you had. Do you play an instrument? Sing? Kitrin - Good job on getting through the tuff run. And I'm glad you and your DH are coming to terms with your situation. Things like that can make ya or break ya, and it sounds like it's bringing you two closer. Shoulda did my Saturday run on the trails. Road running irritated my ankle even further, but oh well. My upcoming break will give it a nice chance to recup. Plan to run the Clam Beach Run this coming Saturday. Should be fun. We haven't had hardly any rain, so I don't think the creek will be an issue. It's a hoot to watch people take off their shoes to run through. Obviously not hardened trail runners such as us. Wink No specific finishing time in mind, but this was my very first race as a full fledged runner in 2006, and I missed it last year as I was sick, sick, sick with the flu. I ended up not minding as the weather was horrible and the creek was up to people's armpits and freezing cold. Gotta go ~

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I play at playing the guitar. I play fingerstyle and would love to get better. I just don't devote the time to it. I guess I can sing. People tell me I'm allright. The guitar lifts my spirits when I play.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.

Ultrachick

Quick Hi! to everyone. The usual kid stuff going on-sports, grades and misuse of a cell phone. anatomy has begun and I'm always feeling like I'm behind-already have some papers that need to be written. And looking for work! I may have struck gold-I interviewed for a trainer position at a club today where I would be walking into an established clientele list to take over. I'd be crazy to pass this up. I haven't been officially offered the job yet but the owner didn't have any reasons not to hire me. He's interviewing other trainers as well so we'll see. I'll let you know what happens-keep running! Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              Good luck on the job. Keep moving in the middle of your studies and busyness. Did you guys get some great snow from this storm? I haven't been skiing in a few years and miss it. My family has a timeshare in Park City Utah but I haven't been able to get out there for a few years. Ran 5.8 this morning. Pace of 10:54 average heart rate of 133. Three days of no running helped pick the pace up. Fastest pace so far in the low hr training. I've dropped a minute and a half in my average pace over the last 6 weeks or so. Hoping big improvements for the spring and summer. I'm gonna try and keep running, just keep running, and let all else pan out. Gonna use my free time, maybe the hour I have in the evening, to write, then I'll fill it with guitar, but I gotta keep the running going. It is something simple and easy and keeps me from eating and drinking too much and I don't have to obsess about it.

Good to see everyone is still getting out through what is looking like a challenging winter for some. I've heard the midwest is just a mess this year. It was 65 here today, so we took advantage and did a 25 mile night run tonight. We set it up as a 10 mile loop and a 15 mile loop so there were three options for distance. It was miserable... I know better but still go out too fast... trying to hang w/ the folks just doing 10 miles.
                  Yeah, you guys have a deep talent pool out there. Sounds like fun though.

Kitrin

Me, the Barbie version

We set it up as a 10 mile loop and a 15 mile loop so there were three options for distance.
                    Oh the jealousy! I would love to have such options! I am WAY off course this week. My MIL had a car crisis and I spent a couple days crawling over lemon lots looking for a used car in the $3k-$4k range. Brutal. So much junk out there. We finally found a decent Honda Civic with 108,000 miles. While we were negotiating the deal DH called and told me he is COMING HOME. I do not know what changed, but I am happy, in spite of the fact that the job in Oklahoma did not work out (we found out earlier in the week). I really need to run. It will be slow and easy when I do because of all the time off, but I hope this is the last family crisis for a while. I am desperate for a routine. Any routine. Something I can count on. Kelly, my hopes and prayers are with you! This sounds like a great opportunity. Greg, sounds like you are finding a good balance. Thank you for sharing with us. It reminds me that I am not the only one who struggles with those challenges. Chris, come on. I know you really live in CA or TX or something. 65 in Feb? Doesn't sound like CO to me. Leslie, I think I am counting the days to your trip to Australia as much as you are. Am I allowed to live vicariously through you? I will report again after I get the legs moving. Kitrin
                      Chris, come on. I know you really live in CA or TX or something. 65 in Feb? Doesn't sound like CO to me.
                      shhhhhh.... it's our little secret. Only the mountains are the great white north... the front range is pretty nice in the winter. But we don't want a bunch more Texans and Californians moving here Tongue
                        Can't do much worse than my tag line from Dr. Van Aaken "Run daily, run slowly, drink moderately, and don't eat like a pig." It's amazing how far that will take you. It helps me not to stay up too late and to not drink too much knowing I'll pay for it come the next morning. My aerobic ability is improving (average pace of ~10:55/mile at hr of 132). I'm losing weight and I love getting outside everyday. Good stuff. If you miss a day, no big whoop. Shoot for an hour a day, 1 long run on the weekend, maybe a longish run during the week, maybe a short tempo run during the week, and you have a good base for many distances of racing too. Pick up his book the Van Aaken Method for a $1 from Amazon. Great program. Gets about 95% of the progress equation right I think, maybe all of it.

But we don't want a bunch more Texans and Californians moving here Tongue
                          Hey! Evil grin I resemble that remark! Wink I'm a prune picker (Californian) by birth, but my mom was a Texan and my dad's an Okie. Not much to report here. Two short runs yesterday and today, tomorrow a rest day, and Saturday's the Clam Beach Run. We're getting some rain, but we've been so deprived, I'm hoping most of it sinks right into the ground so that the creek crossing Saturday isn't too bad. The upside of the creek crossing - the young Coast Guard dudes are there to help anyone on distress. In my best Southern Belle drawl: "Hep me, hep me! I do believe I am being overcome by the coldness of this hee-a water!"

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey! Evil grin I resemble that remark! Wink I'm a prune picker (Californian) by birth, but my mom was a Texan and my dad's an Okie.
                            We'd, of course, make an exception for you... as long as you know how to drive in the snow. Big grin
                              We'd, of course, make an exception for you... as long as you know how to drive in the snow. Big grin
                              Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (laughing so hard milk is squirting out nose). I can barely walk in snow, let alone drive in it.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

4.3 miles on the dreadmill. Wife is out of town so I took the kids to the romper room at the Y which has 2 treadmills, some steppers, elipticals, and tons of kids play stuff like a moon bounce, ball pit, and cushions to jump around on. On a high note, yesterday average pace of 10:30/mile avr hr of 133. Hit a 9:00 mile at mile 5. Wife comes home tonight, so I'm going to get up early to try and get on the trails.