Swim Bike Run

Swim instructions (Read 176 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I have utilized some swim instruction for a couple of weeks (two 1 hour group sessions).  Just after those two sessions, I have dropped my 100 meter avg swim time:

100 meter avg before swim instructions - 2:33

100 meter avg after one swim instruction - 2:28

Today’s 100 meter avg (did 800 meters total) after two swim instructions - 2:24

That’s over 2 minute decrease in one mile time!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Very impressive!

(I'm guessing you may have paid for the instructions, and may not want to share the secrets, but....)

Was there any 1 thing that you were doing wrong that the instructor helped you correct?

Or

Was there many little things that you tweaked and adjusted?

The reason I ask.... I've been swimming for a while without any instruction other than an older man at the pool (70+ years old) who can swim faster than me.  He was a master's swim coach, and is apparently fairly well known within the swimming community from years ago.  However, I have a hard time taking instruction from him because I don't see what I'm supposed to do or what I'm doing wrong.  There are so many little things that I can do different to improve my stroke, but by doing them, I lose my rhythm and stream.  I have no visual of a before (wrong) and after (proper).  So, we end out pacing off of each other for each swim session and I get humbled by a swimming man older than my dad.  He hasn't given me instruction for a few months now.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Thats a great improvement, congrats and keep at it

I was struggling in the pool for well over a year. I had the endurance to go faster but not the technique. I got a coach. We worked together for about 5 months last year and only 3 this year. I have now learned how to design my own workouts and choose times for each interval set in the pool. The biggest tip/advice I have gotten in therms of form is the shoulder rotation. You can reach all you want, but if you are not rotating your shoulders than the reach will be short. I would highly suggest a coach (even if its for a very short term), it is def worth it. 

IMKY13 finish!!

Very impressive!

(I'm guessing you may have paid for the instructions, and may not want to share the secrets, but....)

Was there any 1 thing that you were doing wrong that the instructor helped you correct?

Or

Was there many little things that you tweaked and adjusted?

The reason I ask.... I've been swimming for a while without any instruction other than an older man at the pool (70+ years old) who can swim faster than me.  He was a master's swim coach, and is apparently fairly well known within the swimming community from years ago.  However, I have a hard time taking instruction from him because I don't see what I'm supposed to do or what I'm doing wrong.  There are so many little things that I can do different to improve my stroke, but by doing them, I lose my rhythm and stream.  I have no visual of a before (wrong) and after (proper).  So, we end out pacing off of each other for each swim session and I get humbled by a swimming man older than my dad.  He hasn't given me instruction for a few months now.

I paid for the instructions, but I don’t mind sharing.  However, I was trying to describe in words what I’ve learned, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s easier to show, rather than tell, but I’ll do my best…

1)      Keeping my hand & fingers cupped as they enter the water

2)      I was a “petter” as the instructor called it.  When I’d put my arm out to start my stroke, I’d “pet” the water and wouldn’t put it in immediately.  I needed to “attack” the water

3)      Keep pushing hand through the water (with shoulders), all the way until my hand is all the way back…for maximum propulsion.

I hope that this makes sense…but again, it’s difficult to put it into words (especially for me).  Good luck!!

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

IMKY13 finish!!

Thats a great improvement, congrats and keep at it

I was struggling in the pool for well over a year. I had the endurance to go faster but not the technique. I got a coach. We worked together for about 5 months last year and only 3 this year. I have now learned how to design my own workouts and choose times for each interval set in the pool. The biggest tip/advice I have gotten in therms of form is the shoulder rotation. You can reach all you want, but if you are not rotating your shoulders than the reach will be short. I would highly suggest a coach (even if its for a very short term), it is def worth it. 

I am glad I got a coach.  I only bought 5 one hour lessons for $75.00 for all 5 of them...but so far, I am quite pleased with the results.

I started to use him, as it is for open water swim practices...and that's where I needed most help and increase my comfort level in open water.

Not only has he helped me with my technique, but he also went over sighting and I felt much better using the sighting technigue he showed us...lift head straight up and eyes & nose out of water, sight on object straight ahead and then continue head to side and breath as normal.

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

I paid for the instructions, but I don’t mind sharing.  However, I was trying to describe in words what I’ve learned, and I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s easier to show, rather than tell, but I’ll do my best…

1)      Keeping my hand & fingers cupped as they enter the water

2)      I was a “petter” as the instructor called it.  When I’d put my arm out to start my stroke, I’d “pet” the water and wouldn’t put it in immediately.  I needed to “attack” the water

3)      Keep pushing hand through the water (with shoulders), all the way until my hand is all the way back…for maximum propulsion.

I hope that this makes sense…but again, it’s difficult to put it into words (especially for me).  Good luck!!

I signed up with swimsmooth.com to get weekly updates and training tips.

They have a great animated video on their home page showing technique.  I try to mimic what I see, and rotate the body, stable head, focus on arm cadence, and propulsion through the water, etc..  I feel like I do OK with how I swim, but I'm certain I could be faster and more efficient.

(by the way, the "instruction" I mentioned in my previous post was "at the pool instruction".  I've listened to many people talk about swimming, and I've been to many websites, but I've never had success having anybody try to show me a different way to swim at the pool.  I've had my wife video me swimming a couple lengths in the pool from different angles to see how I compare to the videos).

Word of caution.... I've heard from some coaches (that haven't seen me swim) that too much propulsion training (or focus) before you're able to swim a continuous 20 min, 1000 yard swim (2:00 / 100yd) can cause damage to your shoulders.  Apparently, there's too much to gain from other technique items before you should do much propulsion.  I believe that the fingers, head, chest, balance, rotation, and cadence elements should precede the propulsion.

When I started swimming, for the first year, a friend of mine who was a decent swimmer talked to me, and told me to have my hand go through the water at about the same speed that my body was flowing through the water, while still finishing my stroke at my thigh.  If I try to have my arms accelerate my speed through the water (propulsion), I'm fighting the water IF other technique elements aren't proper.  When he saw my times later on in the year, he introduced the concept of proplusion.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I just started getting "aqua personal training" from the local YMCA. I only started swim training four months ago, so still really focusing on improving endurance. The instructor has been great and her feedback made a huge difference right away. It turns out I was kicking my feet too much (unnecessarily raising heart rate), wasn't rotating my shoulders so didn't have any glide through the water, and wasn't following through with the pull and finishing with my hand down by my thigh. After two weeks I've improved from being able to do 200m freestyle to a full 400m. Still a long way to go, but I've got so much more confidence going into the sprint triathlons now!

PRs: 5k - 18:34 (2010 Littleton Road Race) 10k - 41:40 (2010 Livestrong Philly) HM - 1:29:48 (2010 Hartford Half Marathon) M - 3:10:31 (2011 Big Sur International Marathon)