Swim Bike Run

Help Me Buy A Wetsuit (Read 363 times)

xhristopher

I know very little about wetsuits but need to get one soon. I've held off because I know so little...

I'll be doing open water swimming and triathlons in New England with it. 

I'm on the fence between getting either a medium or a large since I tend to be in between those sizes. Is it a big problem if a wet suit is a half size too big or should I cram myself into a medium?

I'd like to hear what you folks would go out and buy for yourself. I'm thinking sleeveless and would like to cap my budget at $250.

Elly.

I believe manufacturers say ti get the smaller one.  They will be hard to pull, but water won't get in so easily. They are easy to take off after the swim.  Besides, it will help keep you slim....knowing you will have to keep the weight off to get into the wetsuit.  

Since I am from the South, I just had a short john. But when I did a Tri in Wisconsin, the cold water took my breath away. 

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/

xhristopher

I believe manufacturers say ti get the smaller one.  They will be hard to pull, but water won't get in so easily. They are easy to take off after the swim.  

I was leaning towards medium so this makes good sense. If it doesn't fit I can send back for an exchange.

Besides, it will help keep you slim....knowing you will have to keep the weight off to get into the wetsuit.  

As long as this doesn't involve giving up beer. I don't want to sacrifice one hobby for another.

I have a zoot one and an xterra one, the xterra one was cheap (maybe $90) and the zoot one was more ($200). You can feel the difference in the quality, not to mention the xterra one has a lot of gashes on it from just putting it on and taking it off. I would also go with sleeveless versus sleeeves as my arms get tired in the wetsuit with sleeves. Check out online sites and some places will let you send it back if it doesn't fit. 

I was leaning towards medium so this makes good sense. If it doesn't fit I can send back for an exchange.

As long as this doesn't involve giving up beer. I don't want to sacrifice one hobby for another.

If you get one too tight, you may have a dificult time breathing.

You'll have to decided sleeved or sleeveless. I went sleeveless beause of my broad shoulders and being fairly new to swimming. I didn't want to overwork myself when trying to swim with the resistance of the shouldering.

Xterra wetsuit sizing options:

If you're on the border between 2 sizes, size down for a more snug race fit.  If you're new to wetsuits, we recommend you size up for a slighty more spacious fit. 

If you have broader shoulders or a broader chest, we suggest you add 10 pounds to your weight to accomodate, and this adjustment will likely place you in the next size up.

If you have a longer torso, add 2 inches to your height.  For a shorter torso, subtract 2 inches.  The "Long" in "Medium-Long" refers specifically to the length of the torso, not to the legs.

For women who do not fall under the women's sizing chart, please use the men's sizing chart for fullsuits only.  Due to the cut of the arm hole, women do not fit in men's sleeveless suits.

For further tips to achieve the best fit, please see our Sizing and Fitting section.

MTA: I just bought an Xterra Vector Pro sleeveless and its pretty nice, far from what I'd call cheap and a price of 400 new may have something to do with it. I bought it used.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

It looks like Zoot sells in between sizes. I'm thinking a medium/large "Z Force 2" might be ok. I've found it at Amazon for $232 and is returnable. Is there a reason I should get something else?

http://www.zootsports.com/spring2010/product/m-z-force-2-wetzoot-s12

xhristopher

Just looked at xterra wetsuits and don't see sleeveless. I understand you never should pay retail for xterra. I'll keep looking but I like the medium/large size option from zoot.

I see a lot of Quintana Roo wetsuits in my area. They have some in between sizing as does the 2xu wetsuit.

Xterra Vortex Pro and the Vortex sleeveless.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

xhristopher

I see a lot of Quintana Roo wetsuits in my area. They have some in between sizing as does the 2xu wetsuit.

Xterra Vortex Pro and the Vortex sleeveless.

So the QR Ultra John is $200 and it looks like I'm a "Short Large" in their sizing. Better than the Z Force 2??? Perhaps if I found it for a bit less than 200...

Found the 2XU ST3 for 279. That's a little over budget but if it were much better I'd consider.

After digging around on the net I found a discount code (R-USTRI) that gets the Vortex for $120 and the Vortex Pro for $160. Medium Large for me there...

So, 

2XU ST3 for 279

Zoot Z Force 2 for 232.

QR Ultra John for $200

Xterra Vortex Pro for $160

Xterra Vortex $120

All seem to have sizes that match me.

Ideally I'd get something to serve me well for several years. Bash, you say the quality between Xterra and Zoot is noticeable. An extra 70 isn't a lot in the long term grand scheme of things...

Any other thoughts???

My xterra is cheap, probably bc i paid less than a $100 for it. But if you get one of their more expensive ones im assuming the quality is a lot better.
                      xhristopher

I got the Zoot suit. Should be a riot trying it out sometime next week!
                        jdais

Use a plastic bag on your foot to make it easier to put on

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT