Swim Bike Run

Training for Half Iron distance using Tri Newbies plan (Read 36 times)

half-fast

Hi All - I'm currently training for the Oilman (half-iron distance) in Nov.  I'm using the following training plan:

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp

Now that the training plan has moved into 4 workouts per activity per week, I'm struggling to keep up due to all my other responsibilities.

As the plan is moving into the last phase to work on speed/quality training, I'm looking to do a better job of planning out what workouts from the plan I should concentrate on.

Questions:

1.  How should I go about choosing which ones to focus on and which ones to drop?

2.  Should I focus instead on a given mileage/meters per week or possibly duration of activity?

Thanks!

I'm heading to bed now, I'm a triathlete, and it's 9:27pm Smile

But, before I do.... my weekly volume was not so high even while training for a full Ironman.

I'll look at your log and the training plan tomorrow.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I'm back Smile.

I would do 3 swim workouts per week (1 technique swim, 1 drill swim, 1 long continuous swim).  Long swim would be between 2000 & 3500 yards, other swims were about 2000 yards.  Total pool time per session was between 35 minutes and 1 hour. (1.5 - 2 hours per week)

I would do 3 run workouts per week (mostly 'easy' pace, while maintaining a proper HR) (about 3.0 - 4.5 hours per week)

I would bike 2 times per week, with the primary focus on the long bike ride on the weekend (about 4 - 6 hours per week)

I would do 1 or 2 weight training workouts per week, and I would do those on my 'off day'.  My sole focus on weight training was my pecs and my biceps and triceps.  I did not do much leg workouts other than stretching and mobility exercises.  My goal was to help my swim.

MTA: 3 + 3 + 2 = 8 workouts per week.  In reality, I believe I was doing 9 or maybe 10, but the hours per week are in line.

I believe the key is HR management, and if your efforts on the bike and run are above LT, you may have fatigue and recovery issues.  You shouldn't feel overly fatigued as you begin your next workout.

As it relates to the "miles" vs. "minutes" question, I would definitely manage your training schedule based on "minutes" (hours).  Shoot for a given training load that works for your schedule (ie. 10 hours per week), and setup your training to fit your schedule.

FWIW, I've been racing triathlons for 4+ years, and never looked at a training plan available online.  I've built my own training plans based on what I believed was necessary after understanding the changes your need to make within your body as you prepare for the event.  In other words, adjust the training plan you have as you see fit.  You should not feel fatigue, and you should begin to feel stronger every week.

Bottom line.... On other triathlon forums, I've read training stories of people logging 15+ hours per week in order to do an Ironman, and they'd finish their Ironman in 14 - 15 hours.  I averaged 10.25 hours per week in the 10 weeks prior to my PEAK (taper), with a maximum week of 13.25 hours 6 weeks before the race.  I finished and enjoyed my race with those training loads.

(I talk in past tense, because I haven't been tri training since my last race in May.  I hope to have another tri race on my calendar within a couple of months).

Cheers,
        Brian

Life Goals:

half-fast

Thanks Brian for the great detail!  It will definitely help to put together the plan for the remaining weeks.  It's also good to know that someone was able to do well with what I would consider to be more reasonable training volume Smile

What's your weakness?  Where are your strengths?  If you are going to cut volume I would highly recommend you don't cut intensity. If you are only swimming 3x/wk you will so virtually no improvement if the are all done slow. All 3 need to be at a higher intensity.  As opposed to getting too structured swim some short sets, some long sets, some with little rest (less then 10sec) and some with more rest (30-40sec). If you technique is sound you will improve. I would not suggest you swim less the 3 days a week.

Bike will be tough to get by on less then 3x/wk. Your long ride here is key. Make sure you are adding in intensity of long hard intervals (I.e. 4x20mins hard, 2mins ez). Remember, it's not how long you go, it's how you go long.

Run as much as you can. Even if that means only 20mins. 5 days is better then 4 days is better then 3 days, etc. Same deal with the bike for your long day (add intensity). Example: 9 miles with 25mins at open HM pace. Next time: 10 miles w 30 mins at open HM pace. Next time 11 miles with 2x20. Etc.

I could go on and on but you get the point. If you want to go fast you need to learn to be comfortable going fast. Good luck.

half-fast

@Kercan - I implemented the first change today.  I swam a 2000m continuous swim.  It worked out well.  I won't be setting any records, but I did find a rythm and got out of the pool fairly fresh.

@Chaloo -

Weakness/Strengths?  In order of Weakest to Strongest:  Swim, Bike, Run.  My log is open, so feel free to take a look to keep me honest Smile  Swimming Intensity - I am swimming with a Masters group 2-3x a week, which is pretty intense.  I have been able to realize significant improvements in my speed through these workouts.

Intensity in Long sets -  I haven't tried any intensity training within my long bike or long run.  I still have both coming up for the week, so I'll give that a try this weekend.

And just to clarify, my goal is to keep at 3xactivity per week; though some weeks like this one it may not happen.  I just haven't been able to put 4xactivity per week together.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Remember, it's not how long you go, it's how you go long.

I like that.  I haven't heard that before, but I like it.  Is that a Chaloo original?  It sounds like a Joe Friel / Gordo original, but I don't remember it.

I also think that the overall advice is solid.  Although I don't train my biking doing long hard intervals.  I mostly do long hard consistent rides (maintaining HR in given range).  I have found that the bike trainer is very helpful rather than open roads when doing 'shorter' rides.  It allows for the higher intensity without the itnermittent rests at the stop signs / stop lights.

Life Goals:

Brian- Stole it from my coach.

OP- If 3x/wk is all that time will allow then I would stick with the masters 3x/wk.  Having a coach on deck and swimming hard is great.  From a time standpoint I agree with Brian about using a bike trainer as there is no prep time.  Sign up for trainer road and hammer that thing for 60-90 mins 2x/wk and get outside once for your long ride.  Run would be a 40mins ez, 50mins with some fartleks and 70-90mins with some long intervals.

Different strokes for different folks but I've done both the long slow runs and the not as long hard runs and have had much more success with the intense stuff.  For a HM I get more benefit from doing 12miles with 40mins of work included then I do just running 15miles steady.

If you need to cut anything make it the swim.  Any chance to get out the door for an extra 20-25min ez run will pay off in spades.

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Yannick

Hi, looking for advice for a half IM in August in Austria. Have completed 3 sprint last year (best time for 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run was 1h24). My swimming is not great, I think around 5mn 50sec / 500m. Have trained for half marathon and a marathon before, best half when in shape is 1h37mn. Tend to get injured when I over-train. Bike, not sure, don't have much reference and my biggest problem is living in Lebanon where the streets are really not bike-friendly! so doing a lot in the gym or on home trainer. Can train max 5 times a week (working 55h+/week and studying 6h/week). I find a lot of the training plans I've seen are pretty complex and am wondering if there is a simpler way. I have Joe's bible as bed time reading too Smile. Am looking for a 6-month training plan, and planning to do an Olympic distance at the end of June and resuming proper training from March. (now skiing, doing yoga, still swimming 1-2/week, a run and a bike ride here and there).

Thanks in advance!

jdais

When you say 5x a week.  How many hours per session?  Do you just plan on finishing? I have to recommend 3 sessions for each sport, so 9 sessions minimum.  If you cram them into 5 session, you are setting yourself up for injury. Half Ironman training is a different monster compared to sprints.  Respect the distance. You need at least 5-10 hours a week to train. You might be able to do it if you do a single sport focus for each of the first 3 month to build volume, then focus on build/intensity the last few months.

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT

Yannick

Thanks for your advice. Am planning on between 8-12h/week depending on the period and intensity of training required. Hoping to do the 70.3 in 6h. I saw that many training plans do include 9 sessions per week, which looks a lot indeed. Was considering perhaps 7 sessions per week, is that too little?

thanks again!

Hi, looking for advice for a half IM in August in Austria. Have completed 3 sprint last year (best time for 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run was 1h24). My swimming is not great, I think around 5mn 50sec / 500m. Have trained for half marathon and a marathon before, best half when in shape is 1h37mn. Tend to get injured when I over-train. Bike, not sure, don't have much reference and my biggest problem is living in Lebanon where the streets are really not bike-friendly! so doing a lot in the gym or on home trainer. Can train max 5 times a week (working 55h+/week and studying 6h/week). I find a lot of the training plans I've seen are pretty complex and am wondering if there is a simpler way. I have Joe's bible as bed time reading too Smile. Am looking for a 6-month training plan, and planning to do an Olympic distance at the end of June and resuming proper training from March. (now skiing, doing yoga, still swimming 1-2/week, a run and a bike ride here and there).

Thanks in advance!

Yannick,

Regarding the "over-training" comment combined with the "5 days per week" comment.... I agree with jdais.  I would recommend more workouts with the same total hours per week.  I would build it up over time and ensure you have a solid base before you build the intensity.

I've built my own training plans and have enjoyed it.

The race is physical, but the challenge in training for the longer distances is shifting the muscles and your heart to 'go long'.  That shift and switch changes all of your workouts and the focus of your workouts.  To get there, you need to recover quickly and build a solid base.

Regarding the bike.... the trainer is your friend.  It enables hours of training with minimal coasting downtime (similar and consistent to race day).  The trainer is rigid, and you'll need a little bit of road riding, but it could easily get you through the majority of your pre-race training.

FWIW, my 1/2 marathon PR is 1:42 (I think) and my 70.3 PR is 5:43.  You should be able to get sub-6 hours if you follow "Joe's Bible" and fully embrace a training program (whether you build it yourself or buy it).

Cheers,
                          Brian

Life Goals: