Swim Bike Run

2012 Race results Burnt Toast (Read 129 times)

7/14/12 Graniteman Triathlon - Clearwater

Field Placement: 117 / 316 (37%)
    Age group: 40 – 44
    Group Placement: 10 / 30 (33%)
    Gender Placement: 89 / 193 (46%)

Swim = 850 yds...Time = 12:40 (1:29 / 100 yd pace)
    T1 = 2:41
    Bike = 15.3 mi...Time = 42:39 (21.5mi / hr)
    T2 = 1:40
    Run = 2.85 mi...Time = 28:53 (10:08 pace)

Total = 1:28:32

Swim placement = 45th OA, 31st male, 3rd AG
    Bike placement = 56th OA, 46th male, 8th AG
    Run placement = 237 OA, 158th male, 23rd AG

The run was a trot through HELL and back. Temp was in the 80's with 95% humidity and a Heat Index nearing 100. The first and last mile was a trail run through woods and the middle was on a hilly paved road with NO AIR moving at all. I walked about 8 times total.

8/04/12 Graniteman Triathlon - Big Lake

Overall Placement: 65 / 296 (22%)
    Gender Placement: 43 / 171 (25%)
    Age Group: 40 - 44 Placement: 8 / 33 (24%)

Swim = 780 yds...Time = 11:35 (1:29 / 100 yd pace)
    T1 = 1:18
    Bike = 15.0 mi...Time = 39:12 (23.0 mi / hr)
    T2 = 1:20
    Run = 3.1 mi...Time = 25:06 (8:06 pace)

Total = 1:18:28

Swim placement = 42nd OA, 18th male, 5th AG
    Bike placement = 48th OA, 34th male, 7th AG
    Run placement = 150th OA, 104th male, 14th AG

Much better race for me as my run is getting closer to what I should be able to do. After looking at my bike splits, I slowed down about 1.5 mph around mile 8 after I nearly sideswipping a slower biker that swerved to the left while trying to get a drink and couldn't stay to the right. I ended up hitting the edge of driving lane rumble strips going about 25 mph. My water bottle that I have mounted between my aerobars was jarred loose and fell to the ground. As luck would have it, I ran the bottle over which sent me violently towards the shoulder and subsequently into the ditch. I kept it upright somehow and the biker never passed me. As I'm accelerating away from my near crash, I look down at my from wheel (Mavic Ksyrium SL SCC) and can see it wobbling about 1/4 inch. Good thing I forgot to close my front brakes after I put the wheel on before the race.

I might try and get one more in this fall, but I'm not sure about that yet.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Well done on not having a bad crash!

Two top tens in AG and a good improvement on run, finishing the season well.

I didn't realise you were a gun swimmer - 1:29 / 100 yd pace is pretty fast!

Well done on not having a bad crash!

Two top tens in AG and a good improvement on run, finishing the season well.

I didn't realise you were a gun swimmer - 1:29 / 100 yd pace is pretty fast!

I can barely do a 50 yd sprint under that pace in the pool, but put on a sleeveless wetsuit and its actual pretty easy.......never would have guessed that it would help that much. I guess it says that I really have trouble getting my hips up and swim uphill without the suit. I also do my swim training with loose board shorts on and not the typical jammers so I get the benefits of the extra resistance. My thoughts were that when I put on my tri shorts or wetsuit, I'd have less resistance and therefor faster at the same effort as when I'm training.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Last Triathlon of the 2012 season

8/26/12 Lakes Country Triathlon - Baxter MN

Overall Placement: 54 / 218 (25%)
          Gender Placement: 42 / 120 (35%)
          Age Group: 40 - 44 Placement: 5 / 23 (22%)

Swim = 880 yds...Time = 13:09 (1:30 / 100 yd pace)
          T1 = 1:50
          Bike = 17.3 mi...Time = 46:17 (22.4 mi / hr)
          T2 = 1:21
          Run = 3.9 mi...Time = 30:48 (7:54 pace)

Total = 1:33:23

Swim placement = 49th OA, 35th male, 4th AG
          Bike placement = 30th OA, 29th male, 3rd AG
          Run placement = 94th OA, 70th male, 10th AG

There are some improvements from the first two races, but the biggest is in the run. I know it should and can be much better, but it is at least going in the right direction. I swam this race easier (effort related) then the previous two and had to stop and tread water twice as my Garmin loosened up and nearly fell off in the water.

I have installed a velcro strapped watch band for it as I've read that people were losing the watch in the water and the run when the original watch band pins let loose. The lake was pretty weedy and some of the weeds got stuck in the velcro and wouldn't allow it to fasten very good, that's why I had to stop the second time. I had to try and pull the weed strands out of the velcro so it would attach more securely.

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life