Swim Bike Run

End of Season Tri's and Next Season Training Prep (Read 18 times)

Anyone have any more tri's coming up?  The racing season this year is quickly coming to an end.

I was hoping to get one more in this year but it's not going to happen.  Thought about doing Nationals in Milwaukee as it's so close to home but chose family obligations first.  Besides, having only done the Sprint distance, the 1500m swim for the Olympic distance frightened me.  I'm a runner, not a swimmer.

At least got in one Du and two sprint tri's this year.  First real year of getting into tri's.  Finished off my last race hungry for the next.  And that is where I'm going to finish off this racing year.  I'm going to have to wait until next year.  As far as getting through the winter months, what do you multisport athletes focus on?  Winter spin classes?  Swim more?  I usually ramp up the running mileage.

carlos49er

I've got 3 more races this year, 2 Olympics and my first 70.3.  If you're not confident about swimming I recommend Total Immersion. I was a runner before I started doing Tris and could only do about 200 yards before bonking.  That technique turned it around for me. Within a few months of consistent training, I was able to swim over a mile.  That program is not for speed but once you get confident in the water you can alter you're training and join a Masters club or something like it.  Swimming is like running, consistent training is the key.

Running Rev'd

I'm considering doing some training in "blocks". Like have a couple weeks where I really focus on swimming, next couple weeks on biking, next couple weeks on cycling. One of the best training tools I've used during the winter is a TrainerRoad subscription that my brother bought me for Christmas. Using the cadence/speed sensor on my bike through the ANT+ on my computer, it generates "VirtualPower" and comes with all kinds of workouts from VO2Max to tempo, etc. It's an incredibly efficient way to get good, quality time in on the bike when you can't ride outdoors.

I actually credit the biking and swimming supplement during the winter for my early spring half marathon PR this year.

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

Anyone have any more tri's coming up?  

My year has been troubled.  I left triathlon for a few weeks in the early part of the year to do some trail riding and trail running with a buddy, and I ended out getting injured.  No tri's for me this year. Sad

As far as getting through the winter months, what do you multisport athletes focus on?  Winter spin classes?  Swim more?  I usually ramp up the running mileage.

If you have any desire for going long (70.3 or 140.6), the best training investment would be an indoor trainer.  The bike is king for triathlon.  Building your bike volume (while maintaining your run) is best during the offseason.

If swimming is 'scary', then doing a couple of swims every week at the pool would be beneficial.  Soon, you'll feel like a fish.  Once you get the feel for the water, you only need to maintain that feeling (maybe 1x/week) until you begin your training program.

As it relates to SPIN classes.... the classes themselves are fun and enjoyable, but it's possible that they're not great for you as it relates to triathlon training.  Those classes require a lot of change in your heartrate and your effort ('relax', 'uphill hard!', 'level 8', etc.) while in triathlon, you're looking for a very consistent 'hard' effort on the bike.  In the winter before I had the indoor trainer, I would use the SPIN bikes without being in an actual class.  That worked well as I was able to maintain a consistent effort for 60 minutes straight (or however long I was going to workout).

With all that being said, if you're looking to do sprint triathlons or Olympic distance triathlons only, feel free to focus on running in the winter and pick up biking and swimming in the spring.  It might not be optimal for being the fastest racer, but it'll save you hours in the gym / garage training for the shorter distance races.

Cheers,
          Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I actually credit the biking and swimming supplement during the winter for my early spring half marathon PR this year.

Ssshhhh!  Don't tell people outside of this user group Smile.  They won't believe you.

I believe you and have experienced the same.

To add to it, it's darn fun to learn how to swim and bike to supplement the healthy running.  "They" hardly realize how much athletic balance there is in multi-sport training.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

jdais

No more tris for me this year.  After an Ironman, I don't have the motivation to folow a structured plan just yet.  Next 6 months will be bike focus, then run focus, then swim focus.  The goal is to maintain form/intensity in all sports, just at a lower volume till spring.  No 140.6 next year.  (2) 70.3s and a sprint/oly or 2.

Swim , Bike, and Run A LOT