Swim Bike Run

Do I need a bike trainer? (Read 321 times)

X2. Power + trainer road + trainer + netflix= MONSTER.  It's as much a test of mental fortitude as it is a physical challenge. If I knew how to post photos I'd show my set up.

To post photos, you need to load them onto a host site. I use imageshack and its free. Once you upload to imageshack, you have the option to share your photo. There will be a http address that you copy. Next you go to RA and click to post to a thread. Once you're in the editor, you will find a button on the top that says Insert/Edit Image. Click that icon and paste the file you copied from imageshack into the http field and enter. Now you have a pic posted on RA so...........lets see the setup

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

Has anyone downloaded any videos from sufferfest.com?  Just wondering what you think of them.  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Has anyone downloaded any videos from sufferfest.com?  Just wondering what you think of them.  Thanks!!

Oh yeah. They are, hands down, the best indoor cycling videos out there. The Spinervals DVDs have great workouts, but you're generally watching other people riding stationary bikes. That's the LAST thing I want to see when I'm riding a stationary bike. The Sufferfest vids are cheaper, have great workouts, and are genuinely entertaining to watch. My favorite to date is Local Hero...

To post photos, you need to load them onto a host site. I use imageshack and its free. Once you upload to imageshack, you have the option to share your photo. There will be a http address that you copy. Next you go to RA and click to post to a thread. Once you're in the editor, you will find a button on the top that says Insert/Edit Image. Click that icon and paste the file you copied from imageshack into the http field and enter. Now you have a pic posted on RA so...........lets see the setup

Good lord that seems like a lot of work. I'm on my ipad now. Once I have a beer and my macbook I'll make an attempt.

I got a Quarq. I saved up my amazon points from my credit card so I didnt pay full price. I have no clue what im doing with it. Wheres Chaloo at, I know he uses one also. Not gonna lie, I am starting to like the trainer as much as outside. Dont have to worry about lights, cars, stop signs, etc.....

Here is a screenshot of the trainer workout I did this afternoon with Peripedal and a Fluid2 trainer:

The shaded green areas are the target power in percentage of FTP. The yellow line is generated by Peripedal using a published power curve for the Fluid2 trainer and the speed of the wheel. Since you have a Quarq powermeter, the program will pull the power data from the Ant= signal and use that to control the yellow line on the graph. All you do is start pedaling and try to keep the yellow line on target with the top of the green shaded area.

In Peripedal, there is a power tachometer in the middle between the Power and Interval fields. I keep an eye on that while I'm riding and watch Netflix with is playing below the graph. TrainerRoad will be very similar.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Ok, not too hard to post.

2 fans (1 from top and 1 from bottom), 1 towel, Apple TV, Headphones (on shelf), CPU for trainer road (no pictured), 1 water bottle per hour (not pictured), a few shots of HTFU and I'm good to go.

I try to get in 5 rides (60-90mins) in a week.  I find it much easier to add endurance then I do strength so the winter trainer rides are all about power; short but very intense.  Come the spring I try to maintain the strength I built and just add endurance to be able to hold that strength for an extended period of time.

It sucks for everybody and you just need to force yourself to do it.  I find I need to find something that keeps me going.  I have some personal goals that I won't bore you with but they keep me going back to the boiler room over and over again.