Swim Bike Run

Ironman Florida (Read 22 times)

IMKY13 finish!!

I am planning on going down to PCB to watch a couple friends do Ironman Florida (will be their first IM….my first will be IMKY13).  I know that race usually sells out quickly…but does it open up to racers, volunteers and anyone else that is down there first, before going on-line?  I am thinking about doing this one next year (2014).  Thanks!!

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

I believe volunteers get a shot to register on site the day after the race, before the public, but not completely sure

I am planning on going down to PCB to watch a couple friends do Ironman Florida (will be their first IM….my first will be IMKY13).  I know that race usually sells out quickly…but does it open up to racers, volunteers and anyone else that is down there first, before going on-line?  I am thinking about doing this one next year (2014).  Thanks!!

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Yes, I'm pretty sure that racers and volunteers can register the day after the race and 1 day before the general public.

But, If you're attending the race with the desire to do the race in 2014, you'll want to sign up to volunteer.  I wouldn't assume that "anyone else that is down there" can register before it goes online.

I had signed up to volunteer for the 2012 race in Florida, but about 1 month before the race, I had a conflict for that weekend, and notified my volunteer lead to let them know that I couldn't volunteer.  It wasn't a big deal to cancel.  What was a big deal was trying to find good slots to volunteer while still being able to watch the race.  I was able to take one of the last slots for bike check in as well as 1 slot for bike return on race day.  Check out the volunteer site and pick your slots.

FWIW, bike check in is great for a pre-1st time Ironman position, as you'll be able to get a good feel for the transition areas for the race.

Cheers,
        Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

IMKY13 finish!!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that racers and volunteers can register the day after the race and 1 day before the general public.

But, If you're attending the race with the desire to do the race in 2014, you'll want to sign up to volunteer. 

Great Idea!!  However, I just checked and there are only medical & massage slots open (of which I am not).  Oh well, after doing Ironman Louisville, I may not decide I want to do another one anyway…we shall see.

I am not going just to sign up...I've got a couple friends doing it & I am there to support them.  I figured, since I'm down there, I might as well try to register early if at all possible.  Oh well....so general public registration would be that Monday, November 4 then?

Fitness/weight goals for 2014

1) STAY INJURY FREE!!!

2) Get to 189 lbs by the end of July 2014...and stay there (as of 4-25-14 was at 203 lbs)

3) Complete Ironman Chattanooga in under 14 hours

4) Break 4 hours in a stand alone marathon (Goal race=Rocket City 12/13/14)

5) 4,500 total overall miles for the year:

Swim: 100 miles

Bike: 3,000 miles

Run: 1,400 miles

Great Idea!!  However, I just checked and there are only medical & massage slots open (of which I am not).  Oh well, after doing Ironman Louisville, I may not decide I want to do another one anyway…we shall see.

I am not going just to sign up...I've got a couple friends doing it & I am there to support them.  I figured, since I'm down there, I might as well try to register early if at all possible.  Oh well....so general public registration would be that Monday, November 4 then?

Yes, IM Florida gets a lot of volunteers for that race because it's so hard to register for.

Last year, it sold out in 1 minute when it went to the public, so it may not be very easy to register on Monday.

Keep checking back there (or email them to find a slot or be put on the waiting list for something).

MTA: for those that REALLY want to race Ironman Florida in 2014, they can arrive on Wednesday before the race and get 1 of those 29 slots that aren't medical or massage.  That's the last of the positions available.

Job Date Location Time Slot Available
            <input type="checkbox" name="job_id" value="54217612" /> Wednesday, October 30, 2013 Registration Tent 09:30 AM - 04:30 PM 29

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Blondie

Yes, you can do it both ways, but the best is to volunteer. I volunteered last November and am racing this year (13).

There are 2 lines for sign-ups. The first for volunteers (and if you volunteer in Registration, you will get first dibs on Sunday sign-up) and there were several hundred in line as early as 6am, and another line for "non volunteers" that go after "volunteer" sign ups. They both get to sign up before the noon on-line time frame.

Racers can sign up Friday BEFORE the race.

I was catcher last year, and that was fun.

KerCan - AWESOME bike split at IMTX !!!!!