Swim Bike Run

Swimming lessons (Read 19 times)

Village people

I decided to do a few lessons at my pool. My friend who has the private studio is booked pretty solid and I really want to make sure that I have good form. I guess that is pretty important.

I had my first lesson the other day and my upper body stuff looks good but I rarely kick. I knew that. So that is my new focus. I am glad that my upper body stuff is sound because the kicking is rough and tiring! It isn't like I don't do anything. I walk, spin, do leg stuff with weights but my legs are sore today. I think I am going to have a few rough weeks but hopefully I will get it down.

I am am really enjoying myself. The water is peaceful and all the little old ladies at the pool think I am doing great. Smile

I decided to do a few lessons at my pool. My friend who has the private studio is booked pretty solid and I really want to make sure that I have good form. I guess that is pretty important.

I had my first lesson the other day and my upper body stuff looks good but I rarely kick. I knew that. So that is my new focus. I am glad that my upper body stuff is sound because the kicking is rough and tiring! It isn't like I don't do anything. I walk, spin, do leg stuff with weights but my legs are sore today. I think I am going to have a few rough weeks but hopefully I will get it down.

I am am really enjoying myself. The water is peaceful and all the little old ladies at the pool think I am doing great. Smile

If you figure out the kick, let us know the secret!  My kick is horrible and a lot of that I know is related to ankle flexibility.  Kicking might be tiring as you're trying to take too big of kicks.  Power should come from the hips and the feet should flutter the water.  I was told that the kick distance should be no more than the distance between your hands if you extend your arms out in front of you, which is basically your shoulder width.

Village people

If you figure out the kick, let us know the secret!  My kick is horrible and a lot of that I know is related to ankle flexibility.  Kicking might be tiring as you're trying to take too big of kicks.  Power should come from the hips and the feet should flutter the water.  I was told that the kick distance should be no more than the distance between your hands if you extend your arms out in front of you, which is basically your shoulder width.

I wouldn't count in that. When I was with the instructor, I noticed a huge difference when I added a little bend to my knees. It took me awhile to have more than one speed swimming. I think it will be the same with kicking. I am focusing on easy kicks but doing tow speeds with drills. Thanks for the advice, I will keep that in mind.

I use a two-beat kick. If I kick more then that, I get winded really quickly. There is a lot of muscle in your lower body that is working hard and is demanding oxygen. It also makes me feel that I have more balance and control in the water.

should-you-be-using-two-beat-kick

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Village people

Thanks, BT. the first week or so fluttering was quite tiresome but it is better now. The intructor said it looks good but I am not sure what I am doing. She would like it to be faster but in the end we agreed that no one will be critiquing my form. I have a smooth methodical stroke and I am guessing that my kick matches that when I am tired. Lots to think about.

What helped me when I started swimming, which was from scratch, was watching a video of the technique called Total Immersion. It absolutely change my feelings about swimming.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Village people

Thanks, I will check it out.

What helped me when I started swimming, which was from scratch, was watching a video of the technique called Total Immersion. It absolutely change my feelings about swimming.

Started from scratch myself, too.

Yes.  Total Immersion was step 1 for me.

After I got balance, I found swimsmooth.com.

What I've found is that a lot of the traditional coaching is great, but it's not an "open water" or "endurance" style they're training.

The coaching will make you faster, but won't necessarily make you conserve your energy for the long day ahead.  That may be a generalization, but I've struggled with the concept of masters swim training based on the workouts they provide.

DJ, As you described your swimming in your OP, you mention "peaceful".  Keep doing that.  My goal is to have "peaceful" swims.  Part of peaceful requires minimal kicking.

--

One of my favorite swim workouts, though, is as follows:

25 kick board

25 free

25 pull buoy

25 kick board

25 free

25 pull buoy

20 second rest, then repeat (+/-10 times)

Non-Stop and straight through (1 or 2 seconds to switch gears at end of every length).

It's a combination of strong kick for a short distance and good balance (form) and leg recovery.

Do that combination and maintain form with every free / pull buoy length.

The kick will be painful while the free and pull will require balance and technique.

You'll likely have stronger kick in the free / pull than you normally would.

Cheers!

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Village people

That looks like a great workout. Thanks.

Village people

I just watched a little bit. I see what you meant by the two beat kick. I am curious about how it changed your feelings?

carlos49er

Same for me, started with Total Immersion, went from swimming 400 to 2000 meters in a relatively short time. Eventually helped me get thru IM Arizona. Good luck!

Village people

Same for me, started with Total Immersion, went from swimming 400 to 2000 meters in a relatively short time. Eventually helped me get thru IM Arizona. Good luck!

Is the kick the key?

carlos49er

For long swims, the kick was key for me. In the beginning I would kick too hard or too fast and that consumes energy and oxygen.

I've never been a "water" person and generally do not like being in the water. I can take in nearly a full breath and literally sit on the bottom of the pool, I'm a sinker. My body is muscular and obviously my bones are dense or I'd be more buoyant.

Swimming with a conventional 4 or 6 beat kick was very tiring for me. Two laps and I was done. After figuring out that I didn't need to kick so much, swimming became much easier. I had energy to swim longer sets which started making it, dare I say, fun to go to the pool. At least I was no longer dreading the swim session for the day. I didn't have the feeling like I was not going to make the wall because I was gasping for air.

If I remember correctly in the Total Immersion teachings, it was said that the kick contributes to less then 10% of the propulsion in elite swimmers. I'm very very far from elite so the fraction of that percentage that I'm gaining didn't seem like it was worth all the effort and energy it was requiring of me. If I took it easy and used the two beat kick to rotate and balance my body in the water, I was able to swim longer and more efficiently, thus feeling more at ease with much less fear of drowning.

I just watched a little bit. I see what you meant by the two beat kick. I am curious about how it changed your feelings?

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

I agree with BT and Carlos but I'll add my thoughts anyways Smile.

Total immersion and SwimSmooth tells you that your goal is to swim within your head and your shoulders.

In essence, you break a hole in the water with your hand, your head, and your shoulders.  The smaller hole you create, the less you fight the water.

For long distance swimming, the kick is purely to keep your hips, legs and feet to fit within your head and shoulders.  Your feet go through the exact same location your hand was 1 second earlier.

A little kick goes a long way.

Without the kick, your hips and legs drop and your head raises up and you're propelling yourself uphill and out of the water and not forward through the water.

With a strong and aggressive kick, you're faster.  But you're using way too much energy.

---

When talking to inexperienced swimmers, I have them think of a paddle boat on the "Mississippi" river.  (If you want, think of a paddle boat in a pond or tiny lake).  The speed of the boat is determined by the speed of the paddles.  But, that's only when it's at cruising speed.  When you start paddling, you can waste energy by having the paddles push through the water faster than the boat is flowing through the water.  Most novice / intermediate swimmers swim like the first 30 seconds of paddle boating.  The goal is to cruise the Mississippi.  Have the paddles (arms) propel yourself consistently through the water.  Don't fight it.  Don't propel faster than your swimming.  Maintain your pace with every stroke.

As said earlier, the kick keeps your feet up, which causes less drag, which reduces the speed lost within every arm stroke so you maintain an even pace all "20 seconds" of each length of the pool.  You don't fight for each pool length if you're not accelerating each stroke.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life