UK Ultra Runners

My first BIG challenge for 2011 (Read 855 times)

I like to do the odd long run! in aid of The Shooting Star Children's Hospice, and this year is no different. Having supported Shooting Star since 2009 when I ran from London to Brighton this will be the 3rd year I will be supporting them and each year the scale/distance of the challenge I have set myself has increased (2009 – 56miles, 2010 – 87miles), but this year I think I have actually set myself something so tough that I am quite nervous about the whole thing. Please read below for full details of what I am going to attempt.

What am I doing (attempting)?

The 2011 Virgin London Marathon, which is a big challenge in its own right, but I am going to attempt to run it 4 times in 24hrs

To put this into perspective this is 104.8miles, or the same distance as driving from Central London to Leicester!!!!

When am I doing it?
    The 2011 Virgin London Marathon starts at 9.45am on Sunday 17th April, I will start my run on Saturday 16th around 4pm from the

finish line on The Mall, and run to the start line in Greenwich Park. I will then run back to the Mall before again running back to Greenwich Park, hopefully in time to line up with everyone else for the official start of the 2011 Virgin London Marathon and marathon number 4 in 24hrs (sounds fairly straightforward!). I have just started a Blog (http://mr-immune.blogspot.com/) so you can stay updated (if you wish) with my training and events leading up to the big day and beyond.  

Why am I doing this (that's a very good question...)? 

Apart from the fact that this will be a HUGE personal challenge, and I believe one that has never been  attempted before along the London Marathon route (I think most people have more sense!!), it is to raise funds for The Shooting Star Children’s Hospice (http://www.shootingstar.org.uk/) in Hampton, Middlesex. This is a charity which is local to me and it will be the 3rd time I have done an event to raise funds for them. The Hospice does a fantastic job of caring for children and young people who have life limiting conditions and their families, offering care, support and advice. All of which is provided free of charge to the families, 365 days a year. But, this fantastic place needs £3.5million pounds a year (£9,500 a day) to maintain these care services, and with no long term statutory funding, the majority of this comes from voluntary donations. I have set an ambitious fundraising target of £2,200, which, if reached, would cover:

• The General Pharmacy needs for a year
    • A full time Care Assistant for one month
    • 10 x Activity or Therapy Sessions (such as the Spa Pool or Music)

What can you do to help?

I am hoping that you may be able to sponsor me a pound or two (feel free to sponsor me more, pound a mile!!) if you can, then that

would be fantastic, as every penny will make a difference. Without your support this is just another run but with your support and generosity

in sponsoring me it is something that can make a difference. 

I have set up this donation page (http://www.justgiving.com/DavidHegarty) so that any amount you can spare can be easily donated, all donations will be greatly appreciated and will be going to what I think is a fantastic and worthwhile cause.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, i am just popping out for a run, i may be gone some time.....

David 

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

This is an absolutely brilliant challenge David, brilliant. George mentioned it this morning whilst we were out training and it did raise an eyebrow.

When you mentioned you wanted some "help" for April I had no idea why but now I do what do you need from me, company? Food and drinks support? Give me a shout.

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

This is an absolutely brilliant challenge David, brilliant. George mentioned it this morning whilst we were out training and it did raise an eyebrow.

When you mentioned you wanted some "help" for April I had no idea why but now I do what do you need from me, company? Food and drinks support? Give me a shout.

Hi Jerry

Yes, sorry i didn't go into more detail at the time, i sort of had to get the details out there as time was ticking on and

i have a fairfew fundraising ideas to try and put into place (might also need someone to bounce ideas off/steal ideas from!!!).

I am indeed looking for some kindhearted Ultrarunners to assist me on this one and you are obviously on the list and i am

hopeful Bobban will still be able to assist as he is keen to do so if leg i up to it, so your offer of support is hugely appreciated.

So, would you and George be interested in running a leg each with me (or is George doing London?) or if it clashes wih other

things you already have planned drinks support would be great, and of course what would you like in return for your help?

Still laid low with germs presently, so no running at all this weekend, might be a blessing in disguise. How is your training

going for Thames Trot, and do you have any plans for after GUCR, nice short 100miler later in the year Big grin

PB's

George indeed was jammy enough to get a place in the VLM via the club lottery, he has this knack of winning, I say it is the luck of the IrishWink

I have a back to back planned the weekend of the VLM so more than happy to "use" your event as a training run and would be more than happy to run a stint with you, even I could manage a 6 hour marathon !!!!!!

Training on my side is absolutely awesome, we have made an agreement that back-to-backs are the way forward with a 31 mile followed by a 37 mile weekend.

Back to you, really happy to help, the important thing is you run with minimal equipment, I am happy to run with some of yours.

Keep in touch

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Just call me Mr Crew.

By the way chaps, I am walking! Well, I say walking. Immune, do you remember the chap that we ran past on South Downs Marathon as we were charging through the last 8-10 miles? The guy with the serious malalignment and v thin right leg? If you can imagine that about 10 times slower, that is me now.....but at least I can do a little bit without crutches now. Have my trusty aircast 60 brace on right now and am forging ahead with recovery.

Immune asked me to Crew for him a couple of weeks ago and I was tentative about helping, but now that I can get in the car and have a little drive, I am chomping at the bit to help out. I think that with my musculoskeletal acute physiotherapy appointments on a reglaur basis, I might even be up and running by April! Fingers, toes, shoelaces crossed please...... but support I will. I sugget that in march we meet up. Immune, you can run here and back and we can plan strategy.

wooo hooo!

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

Immune, you can run here and back and we can plan strategy.

wooo hooo!

Sounds good, until you tell me you have moved to Scarborough!!!!!

Great news that you are walking, no matter how slowly. Meet up to plan strategy is a great idea, also had the kind

offer of help with promoting this thing by a colleague who works for our in house agency, so this may help towards

the fundraising side of things so i can concentrate on running. Out of interest have anyone seen the small Endurancelife

ad in this months runnersworld, it has a little seperate poster with SW100 - Southwest Coastal Path 100miler, now can't see

anything on there website but based on the Classic Qtr i did on that path that would be a fooking awesome challenge, and one

i would be signing up for.

Have just bought some new trail shoes to try out, a multiterrain shoe, Northface Alkaline, which if fit and feel is good will prob

be what i wear for Thames Path 50. Bobban, what are the Singletrack's you have by Northface like, worth a look as an Ultra

distance trail/mixed terrain shoe?

PB's

David,

I would be interested in supporting/ running a leg with you if you need it of course as I know the boys here are already well on track to do so.

Awesome challenge I have to say. Of course a donation would be in order, that goes without saying.

David,

I would be interested in supporting/ running a leg with you if you need it of course as I know the boys here are already well on track to do so.

Awesome challenge I have to say. Of course a donation would be in order, that goes without saying.

Hi Rich, that would be great as Jerry is going to run a leg with me, and if you are happy to do a mara as well then that is fantastic.

I need to start sorting out details, but can i say yes and confirm at a later date once i get Bobban to start his role as Head of Logistics,

support,runners,checkpoints,nutrition,hydration,change over points, clothes, i think thats everything Big grin

Any donation would be very much appreciated.

PB's

Totally up for doing a full marathon.

Will confirm with domestic secretary but shouldn't be an issue this one. Although showering after might be :-)

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

North Face Single track are quite good. I have only used them short distance as I prefer my inov8 roclite 312 GTX in the real mud and grime. They are good though. I did a fell run in the Lakes and also used them to hike up Scafell Pike in the rain. V grippy on rocks and loose scree but not enough to cut through the mud of the countryside. They are quite a wide fitting though, and I think that might cause issues on a longer run.

I haven't moved to Scarborough. But if I had, so what?

Fancy the BGR in 2012 Immune?

Fancy the BGR in 2012 Immune?

Yep, got a lot of hills in South London to train on Rob Big grin

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Oi, do you want thesae crutches wrapped around your 'ead!

Well, there is Crystal Palace Hill right outside my house and Anerley Hill, which is 1.3 miles long and the highest in south London....OK, that doesn't really sway it does it!

OK, so there are some mad races coming up late summer, Osmotherley Phoenix etc but there are also some shorter fell runs and (I am dreaming obviously) I have been looking at 4 fell races in 5 days around summer bank holiday if you are not running the Ridgeway and these can be run from one to the other as they are about 10 miles apart! Great training....or have I gone slightly mad

Compared to us you are totally sane Rob.

I just love fell runs but I don't want to push things too far with Mrs S at the moment, let us have that conversation soon.

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Compared to us you are totally sane Rob.

I just love fell runs but I don't want to push things too far with Mrs S at the moment, let us have that conversation soon.

You always say that about the delectable Mrs S, but you still do the events anyway!

David

I decided against entering the VLM even though I had a place guaranteed as it was a little close to my Crawley 12 hours and would have raced it and not been sensible. I am back on track though to help with any night running if you need it

Jerry