UK Ultra Runners

Adidas Thunder Run 24hr event (Read 482 times)

Hey guys

Just thought I would say I have entered this as a solo runner. It takes place on the 30-31 July.

Sh*tting myself a little bit but mileage / running has been consistent the past 2 months and have planned some nice long runs ahead (25m-35m) over the next few weeks as I peak starting with a 30 miler on saturday this week.

Got a great offroad loop of 6 miles close to home so that will help simulate conditions while being able to refuel and reload hydration pack at my doorstep. I'm in better shape now than I was at Grimsthorpe 70 last year so am more confident going into this barring any injuries but this is a different ball game mentally depsite the 18hours at Grimsthorpe.

Any advice and buddies to attend are welcome of course Big grin

Nice one Rich,

I am still umming and arring about doing it but the foot is still a little tender and I know that realistically doing another 24+ hour race would put strain on family life having made a promise that the house renovations move up in the priority order for the moment although I can enter some shorter and closer events.

As for your training I can see you have ramped up the mileage of late with good rises and cycle downs to recover, whilst being very aware of your need to do consistent, bulk mileage I would personally like to see you take on some long, slow runs of 20-24 miles just to get the mindset and get the mental toughening up required for a 24 hour run. Looking at your stats you have not done many runs over 3 hours of late and so it will be really good to get some "time on feet" runs in, which if I read between the lines when it comes to your parental domestic duties will be hard but will be very beneficial to the overall training.

Good idea of getting loops into the training plan but also suggest that you do some out and backs, the reason I like these is they "guarantee" a set distance and can be used as a weekly or monthly set run to condition yourself to pacing and to pull off.

Last Uncle Jerry comment, just be careful about ramping up the mileage so quickly to 30 miles without vectoring in a proper recovery period, I am the worse person to offer this last piece of advice after my recent knee injury but would suggest that you first do it as a back to back say in the form of a 20/10 and later a 20/15.

Anyway, good luck and keep listening to your body

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Rich - great stuff. I wouldn't even attempt to give you advice on preparing for a 24hr race, having only attempted (badly) one. I would, however, direct you here:

http://www.ultrunr.com/

It is one of the most useful resources I have come across. I can also heartily recommend the Road Runners Club publication "Training for Ultras". I think it is edited by Andy Milroy.

thanks guys for your advice.

To be honest I experimented with back-2-backs last year but prefer single longer runs and then reviewing the legs / body the next day to see whether I am feeling good enough to take on another semi - long run.

I know and understand why a lot of ultrarunners believe in back-2-backs however the injury risk involved if feeling very sore I cannot see the benefit of doing another 2 - 3 or 4 hours on a sunday.  So I think I will stick to runs of 4 - 7 hours and assess how I am feeling. Of course I won't be doing a lot of 6-7 hour runs but i think at least one of this length in the next 2 - 3 weeks will help with the mental prep and time on feet aspect.

I agree some out and back runs will help and I generally do these unless I am off road. I have planned at least one night run (between 10pm-5am) so that I can experience this drudgery again :-)

25-30 miles planned for tomorrow so I am looking foreward to ramping things up and having some fun. Hoping to experiment a little bit tomorrow on fuelling, I know what works for me but haven't eaten on any of my runs. I do so hate it but entirely necessary for this :-)

Cheers guys

This is also on my radar, although had thought of getting a Mixed Team of 5 together and go for a top 5 finish but that seems to be

a no goer as all my preferred runners are not available.

Jezza - We could do it as a pair and do a nice 100k or so each Smile

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

Hey chaps.

Well with 19 days to go until TR24 training has been good and bad :-) Got some good 4 hour plus runs in plus some good tempo efforts. Life has got in the way a few times but overall I am happy with my fitness and recovery from long efforts during the past 6-8 weeks.

Of course you can always do more and I am trying to squeeze one more long run into this week which may involve running into the middle of the night (good mental prep) but overall I am a good as I have had the opportunity to be so it's a case of tapering from Saturday this week.

Got a few last minute items to get but nothing to panic about.

I have a buddy running solo as well in the race plus a host of other people i know in the team races so it should make it a very different experience to other ultras. I plan on sticking to my game plan for as long as possible and not worry about the crowds.

Mainly I am looking to have fun out there Smile

Very good luck to you, I think the saying goes "Better under trained than over trained" I don't actually know what that means but I will offer the sentiment anyway.Smile

The only thing that I have learnt from the 25 + ultra runs I have done is the following:

1. Listen to everyone, follow nobody
                2. Stick to the game plan for as long as it sticks to you
                3. Remember you have 24 hours
                4. As for the training, by all means shorten the taper time but I have a feeling this is more mental thing than a physical thing....which is good but don't think of doing speed training or loads of tempo stuff just get out there and enjoy the running without a HRM or Garmin.
                5. Start writing your race day list now Shy

Enjoy the downtime

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily