UK Ultra Runners

GUCR (Read 791 times)

That's ok Jerry you can enter it in 2013 when it comes around again Smile One for the long term future.

Thing is what will happen after GUCR? I hope your running worlds dont end after May!!

Post BGR in June I think I am definitely going to focus on racing shorter races for the rest of 2011. I don't think I will get more passes after that for any ultras :-)

WWOOOOO  HHHOOOOOOO

Race number and maps have arrived.....I am getting very excited...the logistics are horrendous, I am allowed two bags of 25 kg each....what the hell can I put in them?

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

25kg each. Bloody hell, take the kitchen sink if need be.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

WTF!!!

Crates of Banana Yazoo milkshake Big grin

WTF!!!

Crates of Banana Yazoo milkshake Big grin

Ha ha , I have a pile of it on the kitchen work surface....Mrs S is not to pleased!

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

25kg?

a couple of bottle of coke and some baby food. Honestly.

and a flask of coffee.

and a cider for the finish line. It will taste brilliant

See you at the Marathon in Orpington on saturday.

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

25kg?

a couple of bottle of coke and some baby food. Honestly.

and a flask of coffee.

and a cider for the finish line. It will taste brilliant

See you at the Marathon in Orpington on saturday.

I have now read it again (the English was not very clear) the total weight is 25 kg and must not have bottles of water in it as they provide that. Hot drinks will be supplied at every CP...but the cider will be in there Wink

Great news about Saturday but I will be running with my Orpington crowd of George, Clive and David with a guest called Valerie whom I will be pacing for her to get a 4:30 time. So no race from me, just a comfortable run to get the legs ticking over nicely. I will probably run to the race and the book is open as to whether I run back or get a lift.

I am not sure what your plans are but you may find the pace a little too slow but it would be great to run together

Jerry

Jerry, George - Best of luck for this weekend, although with you both being so well trained you shouldn't need the luck

but take it with you just in case Smile.

Have a great time, this is a massive challenge (nothing like stating the obvious), but try and enjoy it, and Jerry, you

should have a little mini celebration when you pass the 100mile mark.

Can't wait to hear all about it in the race report. Again, good luck and run well.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

tin

gucr support crew logistics

all, i have an entry for this years event and will be running with support. ive not done this before so am looking to make the event as relaxed and enjoyable as possible for us all. i have running friends who have kindly offered to run sections with me and generally be around but i want  to look after them and make life as easily as possible for them too.

i would be most grateful to hear any advice from vets on the best parking locations and changeover points. any advice on drop bags.

to other runners of this years race if we can pool resources regarding leaving drop bags (food/clothes/medicals/water) at each others support cars or arrange transport bak to support crews cars to make life easier for them i would be interested in hearing from you.

cheers, i have 5 friends in for the trip

Tin(Onoda)

tin

gucr support crew logistics

all, i have an entry for this years event and will be running with support. ive not done this before so am looking to make the event as relaxed and enjoyable as possible for us all. i have running friends who have kindly offered to run sections with me and generally be around but i want  to look after them and make life as easily as possible for them too.

i would be most grateful to hear any advice from vets on the best parking locations and changeover points. any advice on drop bags.

to other runners of this years race if we can pool resources regarding leaving drop bags (food/clothes/medicals/water) at each others support cars or arrange transport bak to support crews cars to make life easier for them i would be interested in hearing from you.

cheers, i have 5 friends in for the trip

Tin(Onoda)

Hi Tin

Dick will be sending out packs to the runners with places where and where not your support crew can park. There are specific points that i.e. Navigation Bridge where you will be directed away from as it is a narrow area and there is a big support area there for food prep and seating (deck chairs under a tarpaulin)

The drop bag aspect is great as your bags will always travel with you so you can dip in and out as you feel fit. Last year I created a number of bags which I put in my luggage which comprised, carb gels, sweets, a sports drink among other things so that at change over I grabbed one and then moved on. I even had socks in plastic bags but the weather was so horrendous there was no point as they would have been wet in seconds.

If you are a member of Facebook there is a thriving GUCR community who you can ask as everyone has an opinion and expertise. it can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/139792006069707/

Jerry

angusquinton

Hi all,

It seems like a perfect place to post but sorry for the irrelevant response which doesn't have anything to do with GUCR. But it's perfect in the sense that it is linked with my questionnaire and dissertation...

Sorry if it's totally irrelevant but I was just wondering if people could do me a huge favor and please fill in a quick 2 minute questionnaire on the motivations for participation in long distance running. It is for a university thesis so it would be a huge help for the research.

I'm a student at Sheffield Hallam University and very much into ultra races. I've been working alongside RacingThePlanet, an ultra-marathon company based in Hong Kong. I have been out to there events in Iceland and the Gobi Desert and would highly recommend their 4Deserts events series.

The survey is looking for ultra runners. The current literature linked with participation and the motivations provide analytical views and studies on the concept of class/cultural/social and economic aspects related to running. 

http://kwiksurveys.com/app/rendersurvey.asp?sid=ryy0vpj2jkr65yz326463&refer=

(Sorry for spam posting! But just thought from reading the thread members would be the perfect group to target)

Confidentiality is assured. Thank you in advance!