UK Ultra Runners

14-Peak Challenge in Wales, UK (Read 453 times)

Thanks to jerry i was redirected to post this here as well:

For some time now I have the plan in the back of my head to have another go on this one:
    http://www.walk-snowdonia.co.uk/snowdonia/threes.php
    (It is a 52K (30 miles) course over the Welsh 3000', taking in a 3600m height gain.) 

If anyone would be up for that -- I would probably head down there on one of the following weekends and appreciate some company in running that.

am 'free' around 20/21 or 27/28 and the weekends towards September, although it might be wiser to do it not too late in the year as for light. It should be doable in 10 hours, but last time I was struggling a bit with navigation and couldn't complete it within 16...

I am heading down from Durham, so potentially could give a lift on the way, although I would take the train if I am on my own. 

Jeez, that is a great course, somewhat scary in fact, good luck Smile

Probably a little too far to travel to for me as I live in SE Lonndon but I am sure there will be some interest here

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

It is quite a challenge (hence the title Wink ). But this seems to be the perfect forum to post these sort of crazy ideas.

I think myself of being capable to complete a 60 km run (in training, not racing!) without feeling totally wasted afterwards. The route, I would say, taking into account the height gain would be an equivalent of ~80 km. There is some map-reading, filling-up water-bottles/ camel-baks and taking in stunning views involved, so it shouldn't be too stressful.

You said you would be heading to Wales some time soon as well, Jerry? From your training data it looks as if this should be doable for you, I think?

Might be a good (and fun!) way of preparing for a fast Marathon or a short Ultra race.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I would be up for this - but I'm afraid I can't make the weekends in question. 20/21 I am in racing in Colorado. 27 - 29 I am recovering (taking kids on their first camping trip) and 3/4 Sep might be testing the strength of my marriage!

So the 10/11 would potentially work, Purdey? Not sure whether this business with 'testing the strength' of your marriage means, but I wish you good luck with that. Hope there are no conflicts between a trip to Wales and a just about strong enough marriage...

Purdey

Self anointed title

"Testing the strength" referred to the fact that I will be away for a week in Colorado, then taking the kids camping over the bank holiday weekend, and to set off for Wales the following weekend might stretch Mrs Purdey's patience somewhat! 10/11 Sep might work - but will have to check domestically.

Actually, just realised that we are taking the children to DisneyLand Paris 3 - 5 Sep, so that is definitely out!

Ah, I see. I would be happier with an earlier date, but 10/11 is just about fine. The recovery would impede slightly with the training for Amsterdam Marathon (Oct 11), but at least the high milage will be a gain. Might be that a friend of mine is even joining us, although I got the impression I scared him away for some reason.

I hope, I am not too much behind the speed you are usually running?

Alright, looks like it is going to happen this Sunday. I am heading down Saturday afternoon and get up bright and early at 5 AM on Sunday morning starting from the Pen-y-pas YHA. If anyone likes to spontaneously hook up with me, you are very welcome.

How did it go this weekend, we had great weather down south, what was it like where you were?

Jerry
                    A runners blog-updated daily

Here is the proof:
                      http://connect.garmin.com/activity/112949925

Still have to write something in my blog, though it's been ages ago already.

It took me 11:45 from the first peak to the last, including getting slightly lost two or three times Wink. I don't have an entry for the database yet although I set a claim. It was getting slightly unpleasant towards the end as the sight was down to ~50m, a slight hypothermia setting in and the only way to keep warm was running on an already stressed achilles tendon towards NNW, which at this point I had to believe was the way to the last 3000' (didn't want to use the map as I wrapped my fingers under all the four layers of shirts I had with me)...
                      But if anyone has similar stupid ideas in the future, I'd be most certainly up for it!!

Now for Amsterdam Marathon next week. Anyone going there, too?