Windy City Runners

Weeklies Feb 4th - 10th (Read 23 times)

Trail Dog

Hey everyone! This is my last week in Chicago before heading to Africa for 4 weeks on business. So, my winter is essentially over. Smile

I posted this in the last weeklies, but thought I should repost here ---

The John Dick 50k was awesome! Driving through the snow to Wisconsin was a little stressful, but it was worth it -- the trails were beautiful! I estimate 3-4 inches of fresh snow on top of another 3 or so that fell a few days ago. Temperature at the start was 8*, and I don't think it warmed up much during the day. The route wasn't decided until that morning, but we ended up with a circuit of 2 loops, then back to the start/finish and aid station -- complete both loops four times, then go out a fifth time but only for that first loop. First loop was tough because we were breaking through fresh snow, but the loops got easier as the runners trampled down a path in the snow. Badger and I ran together, which made it even more enjoyable - he is a great pacer, and this was our first time to actually race together (we usually do our own thing). This was just a training run for me, so I didn't go all out. Finished around 6:24, which I was happy with given the conditions. Felt strong the entire 31 miles, and passed a few people in the final 3 miles. The aid station was awesome, because the PB&J and bananas were completely frozen. There was a jar of pickles, and they were frozen solid. When you picked up a cup of water, you had to give it a hard squeeze to break the ice. Smile I definitely feel like a bad ass for finishing this race, by far the coldest temps I have ever run in. And the cheapest race at $10.

WrigleyGirl, you would really enjoy John Dick. It is very low key. The RD (also the Glacial Trail RD) also raced, and placed 4th (maybe 3rd?). After the volunteer checks off your final loop, you have to go into the shelter and write down your own finish time based on the stop watch attached to the clipboard. Lots of food and free beer (PBR, High Life, Red Dog, BYOB if you like something better). I'm not sure how many people started, but a bunch of people DNFd.

Went out for 6 recovery miles on the DPRT today. The bottom of my feet are a little sore, but not to bad.

Watching the Super Bowl and drinking some New Glarus beer. Weekends just don't get any better than this!

Sharz96

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, and congratulations on being one total bad ass lady!  You couldn't drag me out for more than an hour, maybe hour and a half, in those conditions. I can only hope my bad-ass-ness will grow with more years of winter running. Smile

Sharz96

4.2 miles this morning.  8F but NO WIND.  Amazing what a difference that makes.  First run in four days, and it felt so good!

But now I'm 11 miles behind that stinkin' pace bunny.   It's going to be a challenge, but I'll make it up, as long as we don't get a full-fledged blizzard.

Duke of the Internet

4.2 miles this morning.  8F but NO WIND.  Amazing what a difference that makes.  First run in four days, and it felt so good!

But now I'm 11 miles behind that stinkin' pace bunny.   It's going to be a challenge, but I'll make it up, as long as we don't get a full-fledged blizzard.

Pace bunny for the month or for the year?  What is the goal you are chasing?

Sharz96

I set pace bunny at 1,200 for the year, but I'm really looking at it in monthly segments of 100 a month. (For context, I ran 509 miles in 2012, in basically 9 months.)

Duke of the Internet

I set pace bunny at 1,200 for the year, but I'm really looking at it in monthly segments of 100 a month. (For context, I ran 509 miles in 2012, in basically 9 months.)

February is always the worst as you lose several days.  I always seem to be behind after Feb but catchup in the summer when it's nice out.  That's a great goal.

BuckeyeNurse

RoxieRuns, 50K in fresh snow sounds exhausting!  But also fun!  Sounds like you and badger both had a great time.  And really, how can you beat a $10 race?!  No matter what goes wrong, you really can't be upset at that price.  I love a good deal. And Africa?! Wow!

This week's a cutback week of Pfitz 18/55 for me, which is a good thing because I had to take today as an extra day off.  I was in a car accident yesterday morning and my neck is very very sore today- I think mostly from all the tension and stress, not necessarily from the accident itself. I decided it was probably best to rest another day and try a run tomorrow.

Hopefully this snow/ice/whatever on Thursday ends up being no big deal!  Snowy sidewalks I can work with, but icy sidewalks are no fun to run on!

Sharz96

3.85 miles easy.

Wow, BuckeyeNurse, it's good to see you are ok!  I think you were wise to take another day off and let your body recover from it.

Kalsarikännit

Roxie, John Dick sounds awesome, and you are completely right, that is exactly the kind of race that I would love!  I know the RD from racing the Badgerland 24. He does a really great job of putting on races.

It sounds like you did a great job in some really tough conditions. Congrats!  The frozen jar of pickles makes for a funny visual.

Have a great time in Africa!  How exciting.

Buckeye, I hope you are feeling better today.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Duke of the Internet

Roxie, John Dick sounds awesome, and you are completely right, that is exactly the kind of race that I would love!  I know the RD from racing the Badgerland 24. He does a really great job of putting on races.

It sounds like you did a great job in some really tough conditions. Congrats!  The frozen jar of pickles makes for a funny visual.

Have a great time in Africa!  How exciting.

Buckeye, I hope you are feeling better today.

Yeah, he is a good runner too.  He runs John Dick every year (even though he is the RD) and always places in the top 5.  He looked super strong this year.  We also did Glacial Trails in 2011 (he is the RD for that race as well) and that is an awesome race.  One of my all time favorites.

Kalsarikännit

I did the Glacial 50 miler several years ago. It is a great race. I like how people describe it as Ice Age's meaner big brother. Big grin

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Duke of the Internet

RoxieRuns, 50K in fresh snow sounds exhausting!  But also fun!  Sounds like you and badger both had a great time.  And really, how can you beat a $10 race?!  No matter what goes wrong, you really can't be upset at that price.  I love a good deal. And Africa?! Wow!

This week's a cutback week of Pfitz 18/55 for me, which is a good thing because I had to take today as an extra day off.  I was in a car accident yesterday morning and my neck is very very sore today- I think mostly from all the tension and stress, not necessarily from the accident itself. I decided it was probably best to rest another day and try a run tomorrow.

Hopefully this snow/ice/whatever on Thursday ends up being no big deal!  Snowy sidewalks I can work with, but icy sidewalks are no fun to run on!

So sorry to hear this.  I had a very close call on Tuesday as well.  A car went through a stop sign and caused a three car accident.  I was behind one of the cars that hit him.  I had to get quite creative to not hit him as well.  Hope you feel better.  :-(

Duke of the Internet

I did the Glacial 50 miler several years ago. It is a great race. I like how people describe it as Ice Age's meaner big brother. Big grin

I agree with that description.  That's a hard race.  In 2011, it was almost 80 degrees out.  The first 25 miles weren't so bad but the trip back was hard.  I only had one hand held and the 7 miles between aid station in 80 degree weather was a horrible move on my part.  Lesson learned.  Roll eyes

Sharz96

3.1 in light, freezing rain.  It just got too slick and I cut it short.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Does anyone know where I can recycle my worn running shoes?