Windy City Runners

Monthlies - April (Read 20 times)

Duke of the Internet

They play with the date of the Shamrock Shuffle every year- there was a St. Paddy's Day race on St. Patrick's Day weekend, but no Shamrock.

Having done the full in both Cleveland and Wisconsin previously, I would opt to do Cleveland again before doing Wisconsin again, but you really can't go wrong with either. Cleveland has more of a 'big city' feel and much more do to leading up to and after the race, Kenosha has small town charm and a slightly flatter course (they're both very, very flat courses though). That said, probably have a better chance of getting some great weather by going with the earlier, northern-ier race, so maybe I'd do Kenosha again after all. One more chance to smuggle some Spotted Cow back home would probably be the deciding factor.

Ohhhhh, spotted cow.  I love that beer.  I drank at a bar in Wisconsin that had it on tap last summer or the summer before (can't remember).  That was ugly (in a good way).

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Roxie- the only time I noticed the wind (it was a cold, rainy, windy day when I ran it two years ago) was at the finish line party. Didn't affect me at all during the race. I don't remember any pace groups, but that may have changed.

Badger- Spotted Cow may be my favorite beer. I remember when I was in Madison last year, the bartender threw a lemon in it and said that's what they do during the summer. I wanted to cry.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

116 for March.  Nice getting back on NBT. Heading to Knoxville for first HM on Sunday.

Kalsarikännit

Ohhhhh, spotted cow.  I love that beer.  I drank at a bar in Wisconsin that had it on tap last summer or the summer before (can't remember).  That was ugly (in a good way).

Y'all are nuts. NG makes some really great beers. Spotted Cow is not one of them.

Enigma, on the other hand...

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Y'all are nuts. NG makes some really great beers. Spotted Cow is not one of them.

Enigma, on the other hand...

I haven't tried Enigma yet :sniffle:

Still, on a summer day, few things are better than sitting back with a couple of Cows in the sun. I haven't had a bad beer from those guys (I didn't like Serendipity but it was not bad by any stretch)- I try to get across the border at least once a quarter to try their seasonals.

Trail Dog

I've only tried a few of the NG beers - Totally Naked, Two Women, Moon Man, Fat Squirrel, IIPA, Laughing Fox, and of course Spotted Cow.  think the Cow has been my favorite just because it is so easy to drink. I will need to try it with lemon.

Jerry, good luck this weekend! Are you and your wife running together?

Asics, seriously I don't know how you can run so many loops on a small indoor track. Maybe you have a future in 24 hour events?

WG, sorry you had such a rough time at your 100k. I've had my share of nagging injury issues over the years, but knock-on-wood have not dealt with any stomach issues. It sounds like you made the very best of the trip, though -- I haven't been to the Berkshires in years. Have you done any hiking/running in the White Mountains of New Hampshire? I was there many many years ago before I was a runner, and would really like to go back sometime.

TennisKid, congrats on your first 10k though it sucks there were problems with the course. It is great to see you around here again - I think this may be the first time you stopped by since your 21st birthday bash. Big grin

Duke of the Internet

116 for March.  Nice getting back on NBT. Heading to Knoxville for first HM on Sunday.

Awesome!!!  Best of luck.  I hope it goes well.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Asics, seriously I don't know how you can run so many loops on a small indoor track. Maybe you have a future in 24 hour events? 

For whatever reason, I don't have an issue running endless laps on the 200m track.  I just switch off.  Maybe an indoor marathon is in my future but the thought of running for 24 hrs, even in loops, is not exactly appealing.

Also, I often run loops around my neighborhood making it a game to run all possible streets with minimal overlap for the duration of my workout.  So, I'm planning my route in my head rather than thinking about running.  The same is true of the path around the park center.  As a result I do get pretty maps from my Garmin Smile

My wife thinks I'm crazy.  Perhaps that is the secret?

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

anneb

I ran the Icebreaker 1/2 this year at the Pettit Ice Center in Milwaukee - that was enough loops for me! It was ~48 laps for the half marathon. There is also a full on the next day and there are people who do both events! Crazy...

Anne

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Badger- Spotted Cow may be my favorite beer. I remember when I was in Madison last year, the bartender threw a lemon in it and said that's what they do during the summer. I wanted to cry.

I tired to tell you we don't normally do that around here!  Your bartender was a moron.  I have never, ever seen that and I've drank a lot of Spotted Cow.

Running is dumb.

Trail Dog

I've only had spotted cow on tap at a handful of different location (some of those times to excess with certain people who shall remain unnamed... Evil). But never have I heard of the lemon. It just sounds so bizarre, which is why I want to try it once just to see WTF this guy was thinking.

I tired to tell you we don't normally do that around here!  Your bartender was a moron.  I have never, ever seen that and I've drank a lot of Spotted Cow.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

No argument from me there!

Has anyone here ever run the Start Early 10k? I'm not going to be able to run the Shamrock Shuffle this weekend (the second 8k I've DNS'd in the past 2 months!) and I needed to pick up another race this month so I just signed up it; wondering if anybody has experience with it as I've been running for a bit now and haven't heard of it before.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ran our first HR in Knoxville today. Stadium race and very hilly for us midwesterners.  Got through first half without any walking, but the hills took a toll on our legs and we had to do a little walking on the longer hills.  Nice neighborhoods and greenway and perfect weather today.  Ended at 2:24 for both of us.   Oakton bridge will no longer be a challenge!  Back to NBT this week when feet feel better.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Needed to tack on a few extra miles to the normal 7 that I run back home after dropping my little girl off with her mom in Morton Grove; I improv'd a bit and ended up catching the North Shore Channel Trail at Lincoln to bring me back to the city. Was only on it for the mile and a half that it runs south of Lincoln, but for over one mile, there was dude running with me almost stride-for-stride, he overtook me towards the end of the trail, but gave me a big smile and wave on way back as if pacing at 9 1/2 minutes a mile somehow helped him some. Was weird but kind of cool, I guess. Anyway, I now have an 11 mile route back home from the 'burbs if I ever need one, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Congrats on the hilly half, Jerry!

Kalsarikännit

Has anyone here ever run the Start Early 10k? I'm not going to be able to run the Shamrock Shuffle this weekend (the second 8k I've DNS'd in the past 2 months!) and I needed to pick up another race this month so I just signed up it; wondering if anybody has experience with it as I've been running for a bit now and haven't heard of it before.

It's an old one. I've run it a few times over the years. No complaints. Actually, I kind of love it for the goody bag. The race is sponsored by the Wrigley company. You will never, ever need to buy gum again for the rest of your life.

MTA:  I see that Wrigley's name is not in the race info anymore and it is now another Chicago SEM event. All their races are always the same to me.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart