Windy City Runners

2013 Local Races (Read 475 times)

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

Nice- my local racing season starts with the F3 Half. 

Anybody know of any one mile races in the city this year? I'm hoping to get under 6 minutes for once, but haven't seen anything since the one at Navy Pier in 2011.

The State Street Mile in Rockford is a great one.  It's usually in the middle of August.

Duke of the Internet

New race for 2013.  Just announced.  I will add it to the calendar

http://naperville26.com/index.htm

Duke of the Internet

The State Street Mile in Rockford is a great one.  It's usually in the middle of August.

I put it on the calendar.  Let me know the date when it is announced and I will update it. 

Runshortii

I know these two are north of the border, but they're supposed to be fun races. I ran the Brewers one last year and it was a blast.

September 28 - Brewers Mini Marathon (13.1) + 10K, Milwaukee WI

June 15 - Rock n Sole HM, Quarter Marathon and 5K - Milwaukee WI

Duke of the Internet

I know these two are north of the border, but they're supposed to be fun races. I ran the Brewers one last year and it was a blast.

September 28 - Brewers Mini Marathon (13.1) + 10K, Milwaukee WI

Awesome, I added both to the calendar.  We will put Wisconsin and drivable Indiana races on here as well.  I have run several races in Wisconsin.  This is the first I have heard of the Brewers one?  Do you finish in the parking lot of Miller Park?  Glad to see some lurkers posting here.  I will keep trying to draw people out.

Runshortii

Awesome, I added both to the calendar.  We will put Wisconsin and drivable Indiana races on here as well.  I have run several races in Wisconsin.  This is the first I have heard of the Brewers one?  Do you finish in the parking lot of Miller Park?  Glad to see some lurkers posting here.  I will keep trying to draw people out.

Last year was it's first year.  It was very well organized especially considering it was the first year and had about 5,000 runners I believe. It sold out early/mid August.  Free parking at Miller Park (which beats paying 5 bucks to park at soldier field just to pick up my hot chocolate packet. blah!) and it starts right outside miller park and goes around Milwaukee and ends right outside miller park. part of the last 800m you run around the warning track of the field and they show everyone on the jumbo screen which is pretty cool.

Kalsarikännit

I did this HM last year. Positive experience. They open up the Summerfest Fairgrounds after the race and there are bands and beer. The course and support were good and the price was right. No complaints. If you have been to Summerfest, you know the bridge that goes up really, really, really high above the grounds? You run up it immediately, then down and right back up it. Good times.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Duke of the Internet

I did this HM last year. Positive experience. They open up the Summerfest Fairgrounds after the race and there are bands and beer. The course and support were good and the price was right. No complaints. If you have been to Summerfest, you know the bridge that goes up really, really, really high above the grounds? You run up it immediately, then down and right back up it. Good times.

I thought I read that they ran out of water?  Maybe that was the first year.

Duke of the Internet

Last year was it's first year.  It was very well organized especially considering it was the first year and had about 5,000 runners I believe. It sold out early/mid August.  Free parking at Miller Park (which beats paying 5 bucks to park at soldier field just to pick up my hot chocolate packet. blah!) and it starts right outside miller park and goes around Milwaukee and ends right outside miller park. part of the last 800m you run around the warning track of the field and they show everyone on the jumbo screen which is pretty cool.

That sounds cool.  I did the cellcom half marathon in Green Bay and you got to run a lap around the field on the sidelines.  That was so exciting for me!!

Kalsarikännit

That was the first year. I also think they wanted to start it around mid-day in July to make it work with Summerfest. Some of the comments on various websites when they changed it to an early start were amusing. "I thought runners were tough! Suck it up!" And "88 degrees is perfect running weather!"

Duke of the Internet

That was the first year. I also think they wanted to start it around mid-day in July to make it work with Summerfest. Some of the comments on various websites when they changed it to an early start were amusing. "I thought runners were tough! Suck it up!" And "88 degrees is perfect running weather!"

I remember reading the feedback. 

I loved going ot summerfest as a kid.  Now I just feel old going there.  I'm more of a Wisconsin State Fair person.  Hmmm, creampuff.  Big grin

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I enjoyed the Summerfest half last year too, although it would've been nice if it wasn't so foggy at the start- didn't even realize I was running on the bridge it was so foggy.

I bit the bullet and signed up for the New Year's Day 5k. I've run it before, nothing special, but it's fun and I haven't raced since mid-November, so I figure better to get something short in before running the F3 Half at the end of January.

I would've run the Brewers Mini last year if it wasn't so close to the Chicago Marathon date- I may end up heading up there for it this year.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Kalsarikännit

running the F3 Half at the end of January.

I'm running that as well. Half mary, on the lakefront, at the end of January. What could go wrong?

anneb

I'm running that as well. Half mary, on the lakefront, at the end of January. What could go wrong?

I'll be at f^3 as well. 

Last year I ran the Polar Dash 1/2 which was initially cancelled due to the threat of snow and then re-scheduled for the week later, when (if I remember) it actually snowed a lot. Everyone bitched...it was fun!

Anne

Trail Dog

I'm a huge baseball fan - the Brewer's Mini sounds great!