Windy City Runners

Monthlies - May (Read 23 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Happy Uno de Mayo.  Only 81 miles in April due to HM recovery and a cold.  I  love the hot weather, DW hates the heat,  so our run today  on NBT started fast and ended walk/ run.  Maybe we will try it a little slower tomorrow.

Trail Dog

Good morning Jerry, and happy May! My colleagues in Zambia have the day off work (May Day) and I wish we could say the same here in the states -- looks like it will be another great day! Badger and I ran on the NBT dirt trail after work yesterday, and there are some beautiful wildflowers blooming. I need to google to figure out what they are -- foliage looks like the trout lilies we had in Georgia, except these had white/pinkish flowers not yellow.

I ran 216.8 miles in April. Not a PR, but still very good mileage for me.

Three days until Wisconsin marathon. I am ready to get this over with so I can transition over to training for the marathon in Leadville!

anneb

Happy May 1! I managed 184 miles in April- not bad with vacation in there. I ran before work this morning- it was 66 and sunny…bring on summer. Smile

Anne

Duke of the Internet

Jerry-Thanks for getting us started!  I also hate the heat but Roxie is used to running in it.

anne-Nice month!  Especially with a vacation.  Where did you go?

I managed 209 miles in April.  That's my lowest month of the year.  I tapered for Boston and recovery from the race was the reason.  I would love to meet up with the Wisconsin Marathon/half marathon runners but know everyone is on a different schedule.  We are gunning for around 4 hours to finish.  If you think you will be around, let Roxie know.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Looks like Red Bird was convicted.  See GeneralRunning.  Cry

Trail Dog

I'm crying in my beer. Poor Red Bird Big grin

I never had the time to read through the entire thread, but why in the hell was he running along the Metra line when there is a forest preserve right there?

Looks like Red Bird was convicted.  See GeneralRunning.  Cry

BuckeyeNurse

That thread has taken a bizarre turn (as if it wasn't weird enough already)...

I was driving past there on my way to Whole Foods last week and thought the same thing- why wouldn't you just run on the sidewalk to the forest preserve?  That's right at the turn-around of my 8 mile route.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

According to his log, he runs a different convoluted route everyday.  He does occasionally run on the NB.

Sharz96

I only ran 70 miles in April.  No long runs, runs missed for too cold rain, and a shoulder injury that interfered with running for most of a week.

BuckeyeNurse

Where is everyone?!  You're probably all out enjoying the beautiful weather!  

Sharz, hope your shoulder is feeling better, and your May is off to a better start than your April!

Badger, you ran just a short little race last weekend, right?  How did it go?

I'm getting back into the swing of things after the Wisconsin Marathon.  I'm thinking about the Run for the Zoo 10K in Lincoln Park in June next, and gearing up for Chicago training.  I'm leaning towards a Daniels schedule instead of yet another Pfitz plan.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Sick for last week.  Finally back on NBT for a slow 4 w/dw.

Trail Dog

Buckeye, I have always wanted to run the zoo 10k. I love zoos! Unfortunately I will be in WI but maybe next year.

Jerry, the NBT is really beautiful right now. The last two weeks I have seen so many different types of wildflower. I really wish I had taken my camera a few times. At least now I know what to look forward to for next year.

I am in Atlanta for work this week. Yesterday I found out there is a trail marathon on Saturday, so I signed up. I also have a tough 17 mile run at Fort Mountain on Sunday. Running up to now has been hit or miss since WI marathon, so this should jump start things. Smile

Duke of the Internet

Where is everyone?!  You're probably all out enjoying the beautiful weather!  

Sharz, hope your shoulder is feeling better, and your May is off to a better start than your April!

Badger, you ran just a short little race last weekend, right?  How did it go?

I'm getting back into the swing of things after the Wisconsin Marathon.  I'm thinking about the Run for the Zoo 10K in Lincoln Park in June next, and gearing up for Chicago training.  I'm leaning towards a Daniels schedule instead of yet another Pfitz plan.

Hey-How did you know about that?  Joking  Yes, I had a 50 mile trail race up in Wisconsin.  Nice trails, great race.  It took me just over 9 hours to finish it.  Kettle Moraine is next up for me, in two weeks.

I have always wanted to do the run for the zoo.  I registered one year but hurt my knee.  Let me know how it is.  I love Lincoln Park Zoo.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I've done the Run for the Zoo 10k a couple of times before- it's a very well run race, usually cheap and a nice course. I bring my little girl to do the kids race and have a day at the zoo, I am probably going to skip the race this year (haven't run much the past month) but still go and have fun at the zoo. I definitely recommend it as either a goal race or a training run.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Trail Dog

I love Lincoln Park Zoo - definitely going to try to fit that one into the schedule next year.

Well, I placed 2nd overall female at that GA trail marathon I signed up for on a whim. I did not even know I was one of the front females until people were telling me on the first out-and-back section. At that point I was in 3rd place and had passed a female on a long climb about a mile back, so started hauling ass to give myself a nice comfortable cushion. Around mile 20 I knew there was no way she could catch me so I turned it back into a training run (which was the entire purpose of me signing up -- supported hilly long run) with a good bit of walking/hiking mixed in. At some point late in the race the 2nd place female fell and could not continue, so I moved up a spot. It was a very small field this year (only 11 female finishers), but my time was still competitive in previous years. Not bad for a training run. Smile

Then Sunday I hammered another run at Fort Mountain, the last 17ish miles of the Mystery Mountain Marathon course. Needless to say my quads are now trashed. Recovery run today will be interesting...