Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 7th- 13th (Read 244 times)

anneb

That sounds like a good treadmill workout! Thanks for the idea Smile

Power hiking/running session on the treadmill - 6 miles alternating 1/2 mile of fast walking at 12% incline with 1/2 mile of running.

I'm almost over the cold I picked up over the weekend. Just a light cough left, hopefully it completely clears before this weekend's race.

Anne

Trail Dog

It's great training for hilly ultras! Often I will just set the incline at 10-11%, 4mph, and power hike for 4 miles.

That sounds like a good treadmill workout! Thanks for the idea Smile

TennisKid1192

Kevin

2.9 Miles today.

Shirt. Shorts. Shoes. The weather outside is amazing =]. I'm thinking about running 5 on Friday to celebrate my birthday =]

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5 on the North Branch....icy and windy.  Took the side streets and bridle paths by the Holocaust Museum back.

Sharz96

6.0 miles, half mile intervals.  Finally got the pacing better throughout and hit them all. Smile

Trail Dog

Sharz, great job on the pacing!

Jerry, sounds like the NBT is still not runnable. The Channel Path appears to be clear as of yesterday, so now I have my usual running route back.

Tenniskid, today I finally get to enjoy these warmer temperatures. My dad is in two between two business meetings, so I'm going to take him downtown today.

Today is a rest day. Yesterday 5 easy miles + 2 miles at half marathon effort. Not as fast as I would have liked with this lingering cold, but still a good shakeout for my legs before Sunday.

anneb

I ran on the NBT last weekend and from the beginning to south of Oakton (about 4m), it is clear for the most part. But, beginning with the curve south of the overpass it is hard packed snow with icy spots. That was last Saturday...I can only imagine that the top layer melts just a little and re-freezes, so it's probably more slick now. I wonder if its going to actually melt most of it tomorrow/Saturday? That would be nice...

Anne

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

As in the Morton Arboretum?  I know there are several running groups that run there on w/e's.  Parking lot is usually lined with cars that have all the various running stickers/magnets.

Yep, Morton.  We go periodically (from the North Shore) and try to get there when it opens (~7am).  Do alternating loops (figure 8).  Two of each is around 16 miles.  The parking lot in between serves as an aid station, i.e. leave water bottles in car.  Indoor plumbing available too...

7 miles last night with 3 fast.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Last November I started having some really painful knee issues I thought were related to my IT band.  I started doing stretches, foam roller, etc., but I also made an appointment with a knee doctor just in case - finally got to see him today.  My IT band has been quiet for the past few weeks.

Good news - It is my IT band, my knees are otherwise perfect (no arthritis or cartilage issues - yay!).

Bad news - For some reason it started hurting again AT the doctor's office.  I think this is maybe mental, although he did say it seemed really tight.

Good news #2 - Got in to see a physical therapist today, so hopefully I'll be all stretched out for my race on Saturday.

Bonus good news - I am apparently one inch taller than I thought I was!!!  Woo woo!  But then it occurred to me that they measured me in my shoes, so probably not.  Oh well, at least I'm not shrinking.

I ran 5 miles pretty easy Tuesday night, perfect weather.  Nothing yesterday - was planning on going for a short run tonight, but since I've been walking all over to various appointments I think I"ll just skip it and not run again until Saturday.

Sounds like everyone is really enjoying this awesome running weather!

Duke of the Internet

I ran on the NBT last weekend and from the beginning to south of Oakton (about 4m), it is clear for the most part. But, beginning with the curve south of the overpass it is hard packed snow with icy spots. That was last Saturday...I can only imagine that the top layer melts just a little and re-freezes, so it's probably more slick now. I wonder if its going to actually melt most of it tomorrow/Saturday? That would be nice...

I ran on the NBT from Willow to Glenview road today.  The bike path and the trail are both in lousy shape.  The snow melted and frozen into ice (like you describe above).  I had planned on running long out there Saturday but now that run is going to be need to be moved west.  No way that mess is cleared by Saturday.

I'm thinking poplar creek or busse woods.  I need a clear route.  Oh well.  At least it will be 50 on Saturday.  Approve

BuckeyeNurse

Shoot- I ran on the NBT from Touhy to Devon yesterday and it was totally clear, so I had just assumed it was north of there too.  I'll have to rethink a different route for my long run this weekend.  How muddy does the DPRT get after rain?  It sounds like it's supposed to be pretty rainy tonight and possibly tomorrow, but maybe it would be OK by Saturday.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.5 miles today @ 9:30.  Ran through Kraft campus at Golf and Waukegan Road (entrance on Waukegan).  Stayed on the sidewalks since the gravel path is still a little wet.     Campus is gated, but you don't need to stop.  Nice for a change since NBT is still icy.  Run through Golf (Village of)  was also interesting.  Nice homes.

Duke of the Internet

Shoot- I ran on the NBT from Touhy to Devon yesterday and it was totally clear, so I had just assumed it was north of there too.  I'll have to rethink a different route for my long run this weekend.  How muddy does the DPRT get after rain?  It sounds like it's supposed to be pretty rainy tonight and possibly tomorrow, but maybe it would be OK by Saturday.

It's raining cats and dogs here, so maybe it will clear up a bit.  I'm happy to hear the south end is clear. 

Sharz96

3 miles, easy, in 42F!

I must say, that was the coldest 42F I ever felt.  Dense fog.  I couldn't see the radio tower that is about .5 miles dead west of my house. It's usually how I keep myself oriented in the maze of suburban subdivision because I can always see it.  Not this morning--not even right next to it.  Disconcerting.

Trail Dog

Nice running everyone! Thursday was a rest day; my dad is in town between business trips, so I took him to Shedd. We had a great time.

I will run 5 or 6 easy miles today, then nothing again until 50k Sunday. Good times.

Meg, my IT band gets tight but luckily I have kept it in check with foam rolling. I find I really have to focus on the quads as well, since they overlap the IT band. Good luck with PT!

BuckeyeNurse, Badger is the DPRT "expert" and can chime in about the muddiness. But in my experience, the sections between Golf and Milwaukee are fine even when it is actually raining - that will give you ~ 7 miles. I've run that many times. The sections north of Milwaukee (orange trail up to Lake County) is fine *unless* the river is actually out of its banks -- been there done that with water up to my knees! I've heard that south of Foster (where the trail tightly hugs the river) tend to get a bit swampier even with normal rainfall amounts.

The Channel Path is now completely clear, so that is an option for long runs. From Church north, you can run on the east side of the channel to minimize traffic lights (there are bike paths through the City of Evanston parks on that side).