Windy City Runners

Weeklies 12/10-12/16 -- Join in!! (Read 254 times)

Trail Dog

Thanks Mandy! I was the one wondering about Devil's Lake - still trying to figure out which 50M makes the most sense. I need to squeeze it in between a spring and fall road marathon, so Ice Age just isn't going to work unless I scrap the spring marathon. My biggest concern with Devil's Lake (other than the course) was the heat. So right now it looks like the short list is MN Voyegeur and Marquette (both which are looooong drives). Glacial Trail is also an option, though I would need to scrap the fall marathon or target a winter marathon instead (like Rocket City in Huntsville, AL).

Trail Dog

I was also at Harms Woods yesterday!  I did 16 total, from home up to just past Harms Woods (Glenview Woods, I think?) and back- only the last mile and a half ended up being in the rain, fortunately.  And the last mile put me at 2000 for the year, so even the rain couldn't ruin my good mood Smile.  0 today- my right Achilles is a little sore, but I think some ice, rest, and foam rolling will clear it up.

Amanda- welcome to the area, too!  How are you liking it here?  I'm having a tough time adjusting to the sheer volume of people and traffic.  Have you lived in a winter-y area before, or will this be a first for you?

We started near Glenview Woods and ran north to the lagoons and back. It's a nice 10 mile run (when it's not raining...). I am hoping that 8 years living in Atlanta did not destroy my cold weather experience - I lived in CT from 2000-2003, grew up in southwest Virginia (snow and cold), and even spent a few years in the UP of Michigan (Marquette) when I was quite young.

I don't mind the people so much. Probably because... I work from home and most of the day it is just me, the dog, and two cats. Smile

Sharz96

2 mile easy run this morning.  Still feeling it a little from my first 10 miler Sun, so I was careful to take it slower than usual.

I love Devil's lake, Ice Age Trail, and Voyegeurs, but I've only been to them for kayaking (DL and V) and backpacking practice (DL and IAT).  There aren't any "real" trails around me, just the wide, multi-use trails of the county forest preserves.  I'm sure we'll go back to Devil's Lake and IAT several times early summer, but again it will be with full packs, practicing for our backpacking trip to Glacier NP.  I don't know how much trail running I want to do at the same time.  Maybe just a little--it would be a great excuse to get a pair of trail running shoes. Smile

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Well, it was sunny.  It was windy.  It was 31F.  It was chilly in one direction.  Anyway, 7.2 miles @ 7:45 pace.  I have a long way to go to catch up with The Jogger.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Amanda, the middle of summer seems like a tough way to do your first 50 miler.  Glacial Trail might not be a bad bet if you were willing to give up a fall marathon.  (Why are you focusing on marathons, anyway?  Wink)

Sharz, backpacking and kayaking are two things that I want to start doing someday!  Backpacking first.  I'm very slowly starting to buy some camping equipment.

Oh, and I finally saw my doctor today after being injured since June.  I have an appt with Sports Med next week.  MRI, here I come!

Running is dumb.

Today is a rest day for me--Monday usually is.  I ran 10 miles for the first time yesterday, back in rural southern Michigan, where I grew up.  33 degrees and a storm coming in.  The wind picked up a mile into the run, and then it added some light rain/sleet in the last 2 miles.  Nothing too bad but good motivation for a strong finish to get out of the rain.

Badger, I live up in Round Lake Beach and commute to the Loop—hence the 4AM running.  I’m leaning toward the Brewers Mini-Marathon in Milwaukee Sept 28, mostly because I like the small size: 5,000. But if anyone has another recommendation for a small race in Sept or Oct, southern WI or northern Illinois I’d certainly consider it. 

Sharz96 - If you are looking for a small half in September in northern Illinois, take a look at the Crystal Lake half.  Last year they only had 311 runners.  It is typically 4 weeks before the Chicago Marathon, and on the same weekend as the Chicago Half.  It is also fairly inexpense.  I ran it in 2009 (my first race ever) and 2010.

miniSx2

The Jogger

Being a jogger is not about the milage.  It's a state of mind.

I"ve ran 6 marathons, but too be honest I don't think myself as a runner...I just run a lotSmile

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Trail Dog

7 miles at recovery pace.

Sharz - Like you, I'm surrounded by the county "trail" system. I think I will take a day trip to the Ice Age Trails in a few weeks. Congrats on your 10 mile run over the weekend! I remember my first double digit run very clearly.

RA - Yes, it was very windy in one direction! Glad I brought two pairs of gloves, my mistake on Sunday was only one pair and by the end of the run my fingers were tingling (the rain didnt' help...).

Mandy - I'm so glad to hear you have a doctor's appointment. Your injury has been lingering for way too long. Fingers and toes crossed for good news. In my quest to get faster, I have decided on the ultimate quantitative goal - a BQ. Since I have never run a road marathon (!!!), in the spring I will establish my base line then in the fall see how close I can get. I don't think it will happen until 2014, but I need to start now while I am still a spring chicken. Big grin  If I decide to run Glacial Trail, i could use Rocket City in Huntsville, AL as my second marathon of 2013 (it is in early December). Or.... I could run Chicago, then delay the 50 miler until mid-December and make a trip to Chattanooga for Lookout Mtn (actually, very appealing option to me right now...).

Mini - I've heard about you. You're no "jogger". Smile

Duke of the Internet

Sharz96 - If you are looking for a small half in September in northern Illinois, take a look at the Crystal Lake half.  Last year they only had 311 runners.  It is typically 4 weeks before the Chicago Marathon, and on the same weekend as the Chicago Half.  It is also fairly inexpense.  I ran it in 2009 (my first race ever) and 2010.

I have never heard of the crystal lake half.  I will need to look it up.  Thanks JM.   

Sharz96

2 easy  miles--adding Wed to my schedule to increase running days from 4 to 5.  Woot!

jmhubba: Thanks for meantioning Chrystal Lake.  I'll definitely look into it. 

anneb

I have been meaning to write up an intro since it seems most of you know each other...but I'm going to jump in here for now too! I run most days, but am up before work, so it's extra special to run in the daylight. Which really only happens on the weekends. So my weekdays are pretty uneventful... 14-ish for me so far this week, in the dark, on my neighborhood streets since I am too chicken to run in the woods by myself most of the time.

I was out on the NBT Sunday in that cold rain also, seems like a few of us were! Luckily, it was a short run but it was pouring by the time I finished. I like the cold but something about being wet...brrrrrr.

Anne

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I have been meaning to write up an intro since it seems most of you know each other...but I'm going to jump in here for now too! I run most days, but am up before work, so it's extra special to run in the daylight. Which really only happens on the weekends. So my weekdays are pretty uneventful... 14-ish for me so far this week, in the dark, on my neighborhood streets since I am too chicken to run in the woods by myself most of the time.

I was out on the NBT (bike path) with my headlamp this morning as I'm trying to make it a habit (again).  Never had any issues pre-dawn other than critter encounters and dog walkers blocking the path.  There's always at least one other crazy runner out.  

Typically, I run various distances on the NBT between Golf and Tower, after joining at Glenview Rd, and occasionally go south to Dempster.  I add the Skokie lagoons loop for 18 -20 milers if I'm not running log with friends on Sheridan Rd/Green Bay Trail or elsewhere (Fort Sheridan / Morton Arboretum).

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Trail Dog

Anne, funny how so many of us were on the NBT Sunday. In the rain, no less. I really need to get back into the habit of running early morning before work - that frees up my time to do other things during a lunch break, like yoga or pilates. I started working from home when I moved to Chicago (same job), and it is way too easy to sleep in then go straight to work still in my PJs. I often don't end up running until 2-3 PM!

Today was a reducing ladder speed session total 6.5 miles: 1600 @ 8:20, 1200 @ 8:13, 800 @ 8:06, 600 @ 8:00, 400 @ 7:54, and 200 @ 7:48. The 3 shorter intervals were a bit too easy, but I'm still trying to figure out how to do speed work on a treadmill. Next time I will do them a bit faster.

Duke of the Internet

It appears they are going rename part of the north branch trail:

http://fpdcc.com/ralph-frese-1926-2012/

Sharz96

5 miles, intervals.  Only my second attempt at intervals and I sooo suck at them, running outside.  In the dark.  I hit the first two, thought I hit the third with some to spare, but I didn't.  I haven't quite figured out the ins and outs of intervals on my Forerunner 210.  And I was too tired to think straight to do the math in my head.

Intervals used to be my favorite run in the gym, with the lovely 1/10 mile track with a big digital clock at the end.  It's the only thing I miss about the gym.