Windy City Runners

New Years Day Races? (Read 177 times)

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Hey all,

Is anyone planning on doing a New  Year's Day run? I set a goal to do a race a month for 2013, and it looks like the best time for me to do January would be the first or the weekend of the first. Does anyone have any recommendations?/Experience with any of the races around here?

So far I see 2:

Commitment Day 5k: http://www.commitmentday.com/content/chicago

New Years Day 5k: http://www.chicagoevents.com/event.cfm?eid=88

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I've done the New Years race at Lincoln Park twice and am doing it again this year. Nice, well organized 5k, always fun and the late start always for extra sleep.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

TennisKid1192

Kevin

I was leaning towards that one too. I just hate driving into the city haha. Ahhh well. At $30, the registration fees aren't bad at all. I may end up sucking it up. I'll keep ya posted =]

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Duke of the Internet

I got this email today:

There's Still Time to Register!       New Year's Day 5K Run/Walk Tuesday, January 1, 2013 OH YEAH!  11 a.m. Start Stockton & LaSalle St. | Chicago

NYD 5K

Here's a smart resolution for the coming year: Start it off on a healthy footing at Chicago's New Year's Day 5K Run & Walk, the city's first official 5K of 2013. Now celebrating its 28th year, this iconic event is an annual fave with Windy City fitness enthusiasts!
          An estimated 1,500 runners and walkers are expected to lace up on the first day of the New Year at the run & walk that starts at the south end of Lincoln Park. The course route wends north along the lakefront bike path to Diversey Harbor before returning to Stockton & LaSalle.
          A portion of run/walk proceeds will benefit the Lake View Citizens' Council, a non-profit neighborhood organization. In addition, there will be a post-event party at O'Brien's Restaurant (1528 N. Wells St.) that includes the awarding of winner trophies and raffle prizes. 

Learn more and register now at ChicagoEvents.com!
          Pre-Registration & Packet Pick-Up Information: Stop by Universal Sole in Chicago the following days/times:

3052 N. Lincoln Ave.; Chicago (map) (773) 868-0893 Fri., Dec. 28 - 2pm to 7pm Sat., Dec. 29 - Noon to 6pm Mon., Dec. 31 - 11am to 4pm

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

That's the one I (and I'm assuming TennisKid) was referencing badger- really fun race. I was slower than normal yesterday, but the running surface at the zoo yesterday varied from crushed limestone, to ice, to goose poop, to snow and even a little bit of concrete, so I'm not beating myself up over it. Always a fun race to do, I'm looking forward to the F3 half now at the end of the month.

Duke of the Internet

That's the one I (and I'm assuming TennisKid) was referencing badger- really fun race. I was slower than normal yesterday, but the running surface at the zoo yesterday varied from crushed limestone, to ice, to goose poop, to snow and even a little bit of concrete, so I'm not beating myself up over it. Always a fun race to do, I'm looking forward to the F3 half now at the end of the month.

I know RC (from RWOL) is signed up for that race as well.  I'm still interested but will wait and see what the weather brings at the end of January.  I assume it didn't sell out yet?

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I know RC (from RWOL) is signed up for that race as well.  I'm still interested but will wait and see what the weather brings at the end of January.  I assume it didn't sell out yet?

It hasn't sold out yet, but it's close and right now their Facebook page says they're taking 20.13% off of the $69 reg fee w/the promo code HAPPYF32013. Worth every penny, imho, really cool, small, grassroots race that seems to care more about the quality of the race they put on than their profits. They cap the field in spite of the fact that they can fit more people and they killed off the 5k this year as it detracted from the overall experience of those running the half. I say go for it!

Duke of the Internet

It hasn't sold out yet, but it's close and right now their Facebook page says they're taking 20.13% off of the $69 reg fee w/the promo code HAPPYF32013. Worth every penny, imho, really cool, small, grassroots race that seems to care more about the quality of the race they put on than their profits. They cap the field in spite of the fact that they can fit more people and they killed off the 5k this year as it detracted from the overall experience of those running the half. I say go for it!

I would be coming from Evanston. I have been thinking about it.  It looks like you take the red line to wilson and it's about a mile to the start.  Is that sound right?  It didn't sound like there is much parking available?  That is my real only concern about the race.

Kalsarikännit

Either Lawrence or Wilson would work.  And it is just a half mile from the L stop to the path.  I always think it is a better idea to ditch the car. They just have a row of parking next to the lake. It is very congested getting in and out during events.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trail Dog

Totally agree about ditching the car. I ran the Navy Pier 10 miler a few months ago. The walk to the start from the El was 1 mile (ish), but people who chose to park at Navy Pier were backed up everywhere on the streets trying to get into the garage. So much so that the race was significantly delayed. I don't want to imagine what kind of nightmare it was to get out...

Anyway, I'm also considering F3 as a faster training run. Especially now with the discounted entry.

anneb

Please correct me if I'm wrong... but I think there is a parking lot off of Montrose - I don't think I've ever had a problem parking there for a race - but maybe it's because I get there a bit early? Or has that lot been closed?

Since moving in May I haven't been over there much...not at all since August. So I maybe I don't know what I'm talking about?

Anne

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I also say ditch the car, the race is a 10 am start, so you'll have plenty of time to get there via train without having to wake up at an insane hour of the morning. A few more pluses to the race are that they offer free race photos (which I thought would be great for my inner-narcissist until I saw actually saw what I look like running a half marathon with temps in the teens) and a great post-race party, which I will have to skip this year as I'll have to hurry home since I have my little girl this weekend.

I'm not affiliated with the race in any way, but I complain as much as anybody when I do a race that sucks and try to balance it out when I run one that gets it right. I can't guarantee that it will be as great this year as I thought it was last year, but if it is, I'm pretty sure that nobody will regret signing up for it, which is as close to a 100% endorsement as I can give a race.