Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 14-20th (Read 150 times)

Sharz96

4.5 this morning.

Duke of the Internet

Don't worry, ya'll, I survived the weekend =P. I'm also back at school and ran 3.05 today on a treadmill in my apt. Blah, cold. Blah, wind. Blah, excuses =]

I have run in the gym twice this week.  I don't blame you a bit.  They are saying 42 Friday and Saturday.  So that will be great.  I'm planning on a nice long run Saturday. 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Slow 5.7 on NBT to Glenview Road.  Really nice out there today.  Mostly dog walkers.

Trail Dog

I wimped out and used the treadmill today for 5 easy miles. It was just easier to throw on shorts during a quick work break, then to get all bundled up for a run outdoors.

Has anybody run the Fox Valley marathon? Looks like a good course, but it is expensive (not as expensive as Chicago...) and I worry about the warmer temps at the end of September.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

They always quote perfect conditions for Fox Valley.  Maps has done it (or at least the HM).  Probably both.

My only experience is that the CARA Ready to Run 20 miler is around the same time and the weather is typically a lot better for that than for the Chicago marathon.

SRD for me.  Hitting the North Branch bike path for 10 tomorrow.  Hopefully the wind will be at my back on the return leg.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

BuckeyeNurse

I've been wimping it out on the treadmill at the gym this week instead of running in the dark after work.  Looking forward to Saturday's temps though- I think I'll move my long run so I can do it then!

I also have been fighting/ignoring ankle pain that seemed like posterior tibial tendonitis for a couple months, and just  today (apparently I'm a slow learner) had the bright idea to try my old shoes (Asics DS Trainers) with a touch of stability instead of the neutral ones (Nike Pegasus) I've been wearing- bingo!  8 miles with 4 at half marathon pace and not a trace of pain.  So this weekend might include some shoe shopping for some new stability shoes- I'm thinking the Saucony Guide 5 or Mirage 2.

Trail Dog

Buckeye - I also run in a mild stability shoe. I loved the Brooks Ravenna, but I hated some of the more recent updates so in November switched to the Saucony Guide 6. I believe the major difference is the 6 has an 8mm offset and the 5 has the more traditional 12mm offset. I've put 300 miles on this pair and will definitely replace with the same shoe.

Also FWIW, when I was trying on the Guide I asked my friend (a LRS manager) about the Pegasus because I had heard so many great things. He told me it would be a terrible shoe for me, that the Pegasus offers even less support than the Launch (the first shoe he watched me run in, to establish a baseline).

Asics - seems the weather is always ideal until the weekend of Chicago. 2012 was perfect, unfortunately I decided the night before the race to DNS because of a wonky hamstring and calf (just behind the knee). I will probably run Fox Valley, unless something better comes up. The trick is I need something before Chicago, because I need to fill my fall with some harder trail running in prep for Lookout Mtn 50 miler. The Marquette Marathon looks great, but it is an all day drive (I ran a trail marathon in the UP last July for my birthday).

Sharz96

4 miles. Sort of the rest of the tempo run I didn't finish yesterday.

Duke of the Internet

They always quote perfect conditions for Fox Valley.  Maps has done it (or at least the HM).  Probably both.

My only experience is that the CARA Ready to Run 20 miler is around the same time and the weather is typically a lot better for that than for the Chicago marathon.

SRD for me.  Hitting the North Branch bike path for 10 tomorrow.  Hopefully the wind will be at my back on the return leg.

I will most likely be out there tomorrow.  I would like to run the beach run but haven't had time to do any research.  I could use some hills but I can pick those up on Sunday.

Duke of the Internet

I've been wimping it out on the treadmill at the gym this week instead of running in the dark after work.  Looking forward to Saturday's temps though- I think I'll move my long run so I can do it then!

I also have been fighting/ignoring ankle pain that seemed like posterior tibial tendonitis for a couple months, and just  today (apparently I'm a slow learner) had the bright idea to try my old shoes (Asics DS Trainers) with a touch of stability instead of the neutral ones (Nike Pegasus) I've been wearing- bingo!  8 miles with 4 at half marathon pace and not a trace of pain.  So this weekend might include some shoe shopping for some new stability shoes- I'm thinking the Saucony Guide 5 or Mirage 2.

I tell you what, unlike a lot of forums on RWOL and RA, you aren't going to find any treadmill bashing here.  I know Roxie, RA and myself use them.  Yes, I prefer to run outside but the lack of sunlight just makes it too hard to get quality runs in during the week consistently.  I don't like the TM as much as the next person but I accept it as a tool to help me train till the weather improves.  I also will use the indoor track.  I do my weekend runs exclusively outside, no matter what the weather is.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Over the winter, they key is to simply get in the workouts.  Inside or outside.   A mile on the TM is still a mile.

Anyway, 10 mile on the NB path.  Holy cow was that tough with the wind... nice that it was a headwind coming back.  At once point it seemed like I was running but not moving forward.  My legs are toast the 15 hilly miles with a fartlek is going to be brutal tomorrow.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Trail Dog

I prefer the treadmill for tempo and progression runs. I've also found it very useful for hill workouts - I certainly had no problems finding hills and mountains in Georgia...

Rest day today. For the most part everything feels back to normal. My left quad has been the slowest to recover, but feeling loads better today. Weekend plans are 10 easy trail miles Saturday, then 15 hard trail miles Sunday. I'm not digging the forecast for Sunday...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Yes, the wind was howling on the N Branch today.  Sure didn't feel like 44.  Thought we were moving along pretty good, but only 10:00mpm.

Duke of the Internet

Yes, the wind was howling on the N Branch today.  Sure didn't feel like 44.  Thought we were moving along pretty good, but only 10:00mpm.

I plan to do 20 miles on the NBT tomorrow.  Once I read your comments and RA's comments, I looked at the hour forecast for tomorrow,.  20MPH winds tomorrow from the south.  That is going to definitely change my plans for clothes and where I will start the run.  Oh my!!

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

The trick is I need something before Chicago, because I need to fill my fall with some harder trail running in prep for Lookout Mtn 50 miler. The Marquette Marathon looks great, but it is an all day drive (I ran a trail marathon in the UP last July for my birthday).

There are some great trails in Marquette, you could always stay an extra day or two to take advantage of them...  I'd recommend the 50k up there a few weeks before the marathon, but it's already full.