Windy City Runners

Weeklies Feb 4th - 10th (Read 23 times)

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Does anyone know where I can recycle my worn running shoes?

I can't find it, but I just saw something on Twitter a week ago or so where Fleet Feet mentioned that they would accept old running shoes for donation- if you're in Chicago, might make sense to give one of their stores a call and see if you can drop some off. I usually just save mine for a race expo, since there's always a booth accepting donations.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

Does anyone know where I can recycle my worn running shoes?

Type in your zipcode and this will give you the closest location to drop off your shoes:

http://www.soles4souls.org/about/locations.html

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Well, this week is the first week of half training for me, which involves 3x3 miles runs and a 4 mile long run.

I just ran my second of 3 miles... on the treadmill though since it is pouring out here.

Also, I kind of randomly decided to get a personal trainer to get me to/teach me to lift weights. I have poor upper body strength and I think I'd really like getting a better all-around workout.

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on beating #1.

Well, this week is the first week of half training for me, which involves 3x3 miles runs and a 4 mile long run.

I just ran my second of 3 miles... on the treadmill though since it is pouring out here.

Also, I kind of randomly decided to get a personal trainer to get me to/teach me to lift weights. I have poor upper body strength and I think I'd really like getting a better all-around workout.

Sharz96

Good luck with the HM training, tenniskid.

2.2 miles, but definitely not easy.

Spent 40 minutes shoveling the driveway, and then decided to do a quick run, just to see (and to stave off losing more miles to the stinkin' bunny!)  What a big difference in surface condition, street to street.  Some were bare, some had a bit of pack under the last half inch of snow, some were slush, and one was slush on top of water.

BuckeyeNurse

Thanks for all the well wishes.  My neck and back are now feeling relatively OK, but in a continuation of such a terrible week, in the middle of my run last night I got a sudden sharp pain in the back of my knee, towards the inside.  It still hurt today so I took YET ANOTHER rest day this week.  Hopefully it will be OK for my run tomorrow- fortunately it's a cutback week, so it's only 12 miles.  I guess I just took this "cutback" week to the extreme Roll eyes

Does anyone know conditions on any of the area paths?  I'm willing to drive to the Lakefront, North Shore, etc. if I can run outside tomorrow!  Looks like there might be a short window in the morning before it rains.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

My neighbor said the North Branch was snow-covered today.  Probably not good for your knee or neck.  Us wimps, ran inside at Glenview PD.  Feel better.

Thanks for all the well wishes.  My neck and back are now feeling relatively OK, but in a continuation of such a terrible week, in the middle of my run last night I got a sudden sharp pain in the back of my knee, towards the inside.  It still hurt today so I took YET ANOTHER rest day this week.  Hopefully it will be OK for my run tomorrow- fortunately it's a cutback week, so it's only 12 miles.  I guess I just took this "cutback" week to the extreme Roll eyes

Does anyone know conditions on any of the area paths?  I'm willing to drive to the Lakefront, North Shore, etc. if I can run outside tomorrow!  Looks like there might be a short window in the morning before it rains.

Duke of the Internet

The NBT is in the bad shape.  The guy I ran with today said the Lakefront is in good shape.  I ran at Waterfall Glenn today.  There were some spots with ice but the trail is in pretty good shape overall.  I would say less than an inch of snow.  I think the farther south you go, the better conditions you will find for the trails.

anneb

I ran 14 miles on my treadmill this morning! The nbt is in bad shape like badger said, but even my neighborhood was bad. On Thursday it rained first, everything melted and then it snowed and froze overnight. I didn't have time to drive anywhere else, so the treadmill was it! I think a lot of the ice on the streets melted today at least.

Anne

Sharz96

I'm out in Hoffman Estates this weekend and I was hoping to run this AM in the Shoe Factory Road Forest Preserve.  They have what looks to be a nice 9 mile loop.  We drove over there yesterday afternoon though, and it looks like they have a good nine inches of snow on the trails, maybe more.  And while there have been some dog walkers, it's nowhere near runnable.  I wish I'd brought my snowshoes.

So I was stuck to running the 1.2 mile horseshoe shaped street that our hotel is on.  Four times back and forth for 4.8 miles. 34 degrees and some rain.  But at least I stayed with my pace bunny for the week.

Duke of the Internet

I'm out in Hoffman Estates this weekend and I was hoping to run this AM in the Shoe Factory Road Forest Preserve.  They have what looks to be a nice 9 mile loop.  We drove over there yesterday afternoon though, and it looks like they have a good nine inches of snow on the trails, maybe more.  And while there have been some dog walkers, it's nowhere near runnable.  I wish I'd brought my snowshoes.

So I was stuck to running the 1.2 mile horseshoe shaped street that our hotel is on.  Four times back and forth for 4.8 miles. 34 degrees and some rain.  But at least I stayed with my pace bunny for the week.

That's too bad.  That is a really nice loop.  I have done it several times.

TennisKid1192

Kevin

4 miles =]

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month