Windy City Runners

Weeklies Feb 11-17 (Read 19 times)

Duke of the Internet

Anyone have updates on local trails?  I ran on the Des Plaines River trail last night.  It is a NIGHTMARE.  The trail is completely under either ice or water.  I never worked so hard for 10 miles in my life.  Avoid it.  How about the NBT?  Any improvements?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

NBT looks  icy at Beckwith.  Is DPRT all gravel?

Anyone have updates on local trails?  I ran on the Des Plaines River trail last night.  It is a NIGHTMARE.  The trail is completely under either ice or water.  I never worked so hard for 10 miles in my life.  Avoid it.  How about the NBT?  Any improvements?

BuckeyeNurse

I drove past the DPRT at Touhy- north of Touhy looked OK and south of Touhy looked awful.  There was a guy walking his dog just standing there staring at it.  I was hoping the NBT would be better after yesterday's temps- no?  At least my neighborhood is OK now- it took my almost 10 minutes to walk half a block to the mailbox on Saturday because of all the ice.

Duke of the Internet

NBT looks  icy at Beckwith.  Is DPRT all gravel?

The DPRT is not paved.  It is crushed gravel or dirt single track.  It's a really nice trail when it's clear.

Duke of the Internet

I drove past the DPRT at Touhy- north of Touhy looked OK and south of Touhy looked awful.  There was a guy walking his dog just standing there staring at it.  I was hoping the NBT would be better after yesterday's temps- no?  At least my neighborhood is OK now- it took my almost 10 minutes to walk half a block to the mailbox on Saturday because of all the ice.

I ran from Catherine Chevalier woods south to a little past Belmont and back yesterday.  Trust me, the trails were horrible the entire way.  I hope it's better today but I doubt it.

Trail Dog

Greetings from Rwanda! Internet speeds are very slow here, so I have not been able to check in very often. Kigali is very hilly and 5000+ feet above sea level, so I am getting some good training even though the runs are shorter than I would like because of work commitments.

Sounds like the snow that got dumped on Chicago last week is still sticking around? I ran at Harms Woods last Friday (the day after the snow) and it was very difficult. I have to imagine it is impossible right now with the freeze/thaw cycle.

Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Drove on Harms near Glenview Road and NBT looks awful.

Sharz96

Enjoy your new running scenery, Roxie!

It is bad here.  Enough snow  has melted that snow isn't the problem anymore: it's the ice patches underneath.  If I run in what would be the outside tire track, it's fine, but then when a car is coming and you head for the closer to the side, it's so slick.  I went sliding pretty good half a dozen times today. Made for a very slow run.

anneb

The south end of the north branch trail is clear (0 to just about 3.5 miles). Just south of oakton, it turns to ice. But there is a good opportunity for loops if you park at Bunker Hill and go from there. It's better than the treadmill!

Anne

BuckeyeNurse

Wow, Roxie- that sounds amazing!  Hope you're having a wonderful time.

Thanks for the update, Anne!  I was hoping to run that section today, so now I don't need to go scout it out first!  My apartment to the Touhy/NBT intersection, south to Devon, and back is a perfect 8 mile route.  I'm surprised there's still ice left anywhere after the warmer temps this week!

Sharz96

On the streets, it melts, lies in low spots and cracks, then freezes again overnight.  I suppose that's happening on trails, too, with the ground frozen and so not absorbing the melt very much?  I've had to be so careful if I hug the edges, because it's all ice there.  It was 13F when I woke up this morning, and only about 20 by the time I went to run at 10AM.

Kalsarikännit

Roxie, that is amazing!  What a great post. Please keep up informed (when you can) of what you are doing, running and otherwise.  Keep up the good work with the hills and elevation!

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Duke of the Internet

The south end of the north branch trail is clear (0 to just about 3.5 miles). Just south of oakton, it turns to ice. But there is a good opportunity for loops if you park at Bunker Hill and go from there. It's better than the treadmill!

Thanks for this post.  I may go down there tomorrow.  I was wondering how the south end of the trail would be,

Sharz96

I had a FANTASTIC long run this afternoon!  10.2 miles, and shaved 11 minutes off my prior best time for 10 miles.  26F and sunny, no wind, and I just headed out of the house and ran north through the subdivisions until I got to what becomes a rural road heading west, and ran on the shoulder of the road.  It goes past one of the forest preserves I like to run in, and I'd thought about heading into it if the trail looked decent, but it didn't.  Fine for walking, but too patcy/icy for running when there were nice clear shoulders to run on.  Even if I don't like how much traffic there is, even for rural roads.

Oh, and this was a new weekly total, too, at 28 miles.

I ran a half marathon this morning in Portage, MI.  The temp was 2 degrees at start and there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground - the whole route was PRISTINE, I couldn't believe it.  The sidewalks and roads around where I live have been a mess, so it was a nice change not to have to worry about my footing.  I am very much looking forward to the spring and longer days.  Running in Rwanda sounds amazing!