Windy City Runners

Monthlies-February (Read 19 times)

Duke of the Internet

Since the weeklies aren't getting that many posts, I will switch to a monthly format.  I will start a new monthlies on March 1st or for that matter anyone can.  Smile

Meg-Congrats on your race.  That's awesome the course was in such good shape.

Sharz-Congrats on the big PR.  You are making it look easy!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good idea Badger.  Back on NBT today.  Just a few ice patches.  5 easy miles.

Since the weeklies aren't getting that many posts, I will switch to a monthly format.  I will start a new monthlies on March 1st or for that matter anyone can.  Smile

Meg-Congrats on your race.  That's awesome the course was in such good shape.

Sharz-Congrats on the big PR.  You are making it look easy!!

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Good call Badger.

I avoided the NB path today thinking it'd be nasty.  Ran to and around the Glenview Park Center.  A few big puddles.  Got in my 9 easy miles.  It was a lot easier when the windy was at my back.  Got back just before the rain.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Duke of the Internet

Good idea Badger.  Back on NBT today.  Just a few ice patches.  5 easy miles.

I'm hoping the rain clears it up.  It was in lousy shape yesterday.  I heard we are getting more snow Thursday night.  This is starting to get annoying.  We can't win.  Come on Spring!!

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Looking forward to spring myself. Just getting home from TX after running the Austin Half Marathon in 1:45 yesterday (off my PR/goal by 2 minutes, but enjoyed it nonetheless), took today off after flying in from San Antonio. Hopefully will get some yoga in tomorrow night before a few recovery miles on Wednesday- the Austin Marathon was great and comes highly recommended for anyone planning their 2014 race schedule in advance!

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Sharz96

1.2 miles.  Too icy.

It was raining when I got home last night.  I don't know how long it rained, but this morning it was ice.  Very windy.  Seemed like wind had dried off some of the pavement before the rest froze, because it was stretches here and there of dry pavement, and stretches of sheer ice.  This wasn't running, it was ice shuffling.  Called it quits.

Duke of the Internet

Looking forward to spring myself. Just getting home from TX after running the Austin Half Marathon in 1:45 yesterday (off my PR/goal by 2 minutes, but enjoyed it nonetheless), took today off after flying in from San Antonio. Hopefully will get some yoga in tomorrow night before a few recovery miles on Wednesday- the Austin Marathon was great and comes highly recommended for anyone planning their 2014 race schedule in advance!

Yeah, I got a buddy who has a place in Austin.  This one is one my list.  Was it hilly?  Crowded?

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Yeah, I got a buddy who has a place in Austin.  This one is one my list.  Was it hilly?  Crowded?

Toughest hills I've ever run, moreso than Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Jackson, St. Louis, etc. but still a great course. It was crowded for the first few miles, but I got there a bit late and had to start in the 4 hour marathon corral, so it's likely that had something to do with it. Can't recommend it enough though, the race, the city, the food/beer- great time.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Duke of the Internet

Toughest hills I've ever run, moreso than Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Jackson, St. Louis, etc. but still a great course. It was crowded for the first few miles, but I got there a bit late and had to start in the 4 hour marathon corral, so it's likely that had something to do with it. Can't recommend it enough though, the race, the city, the food/beer- great time.

Wow, that's really good to know.  I never would have thought it was hillier than Atlanta.  This will need to be a fun race.  Big grin

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Well, Austin is in the Texas Hill Country... aside from the trail around the lake downtown, you are either running up or down a big ass hill.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Sharz96

I've been out of commission for the past two days.  Joint pain in the big joint of my big toe, right foot.  Walking is painful enough to shorten a normal step by about 25%, can't even come close to running. Not sure what to think of it.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Supposedly, the Covenant Knoxville FM/HM course is hilly.  Great choice for first HM !!!!

Duke of the Internet

I assume the north branch trail is bad shape from the snow?  Anyone know?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

snow at Beckwith.

I assume the north branch trail is bad shape from the snow?  Anyone know?

Trail Dog

Hi everyone! Sounds like Chicago is having quite the winter, though I guess it could be worse.

I've been in Lusaka, Zambia for the last week. Running here is much more challenging than in Rwanda, but I am soldiering on. It is very flat in the city, and the part of town where I am staying really only has palm trees which don't offer much shade. Still a bit over 4000 feet so I guess I'm getting some sort of training stimulus though not really considered 'high altitude'. The roads are pretty terrible (potholes and full of trash and stray dogs and chickens) so I've been sticking with the semi-paved roads in the 'safer' areas and have been able to milk a very boring 8 mile route out of them. It is not as acceptable to see women running here (especially in shorts, though I do wear a shirt with sleeves) because our neighborhood is predominantly Muslim (some liberal, others practicing a very strict form of Islam with women fully cloaked in black). So I don't look people (especially men) in the eye because I don't know the extent of their religious practices. I run by the mosque everyday and will try to get a picture of the minaret because it is quite lovely. The Zambians are mostly okay with my running, and make fun of me by calling me 'muzungu' (white person) but it's okay I'm used to it from traveling over here since the late 90s. Smile

I am running 16 today, which means repeating my route twice. It is Sunday morning so I'm hoping the traffic stays light so I can finish the entire run. If not, I will need to switch to painful half mile out and backs in front of my house so that I don't get run over. Drivers have ZERO respect for pedestrians here, mostly because most people are poor and don't have cars so there are people walking everywhere you look so drivers have to be aggressive if they want to get anywhere. Also, you see a lot of guys 'jogging' in their work clothes and shoes in the morning, not for exercise but because it is faster to get places by running. Of course these guys 'jogging' are faster than my 'running', LOL. I'm sure they laugh at me, the crazy running muzungu who's skin offers no protection from the sun and who is sweating like a pig even though it is only in the 70s or low 80s. Smile

I am going to Ndola, Zambia in four days (near the border with Congo) and I'm hoping the running will be better. One of our expats is Ethiopian. She says I can run with her and that she is "slow". Should be interesting... Big grin