Whitefish High School

College Running (Read 219 times)

Anne Dan

Hello All who read this, Bill, this is mostly a question for you. For one thing, I am very surprised and grateful to have made it through this year at West Point still running, still on the XC team for next year and still uninjured. I tell you, it has been some journey trying to figure out how to eat, sleep and run in a balanced manner and improve. There's been many trials and tribulations but I think I am finally in a state of mind to try to put more into running. I have a schedule with only one class right now and I have started doing two-a-day workouts, incorporating morning run and cross training in the afternoon. My question is, do you have any old running, cross training, core strength, and lifting routines that I could follow? This is part of what Coach Laura gave us here to do in the summer: Week #2 (June 1-7) 5 Runs of 45-50 mins, one cross training day, and one day off. Week #3 (June 8-14) 5 Runs of 50 mins, 1 run of 60 mins., and one cross training day or day off. Week #4 (June 15-21) 3 runs of 50 mins, 1 run of 55 mins, and 1 run of 65 mins, plus a travel day I was just wondering if you could go more in depth or if you have something that talks about good lifting or core excersises. Any input on your college experience is valued. Thanks!
      Anne, Yeah, I could give you a few ideas. But...... First, I want to see where you are right now. When was your final race? What have you been doing since then? Did you take time off? easy? Let me know what you've been doing with your running since the last race. I need to know where you are with recovery from the season before I will be able to suggest possible plans of action. Bill
      Anne Dan

I will try to describe where I am right now. My final race was at the Patriot Leagues in the beginning of May. It went terribly, a very hot day. Since then, I have ran whenever I felt like running. Looking back, my harder or longer runs and more strenous gym workouts correlate with the times of increased Academic workload and pressing school requirements. I mostly have done easy running, depending on how tired I feel and usually I feel stronger and run a little faster in the second half of my runs. When I am stressed and sometimes can't sleep, I get up early to run...being outside, doing something physical makes me feel in control when everything else feels out of control. To be honest, it's not the track season that made me feel worn out, it was everything else. Track was tiring but the track workouts were welcomed, because it was a time that I didn't have to think about everything else. Usually. One of the workouts I dropped out of. I was so stressed about the fact that I had failed this huge math Exam that I had studied for weeks in advance. I was stressed about my academic performance, the gymnastics class that had a course average of 66%, I was stressed about my weight, my appearance (or lack of one of resemblance), dealing with my military duties....maybe I should just give running a break, I don't know. I guess I don't really need a plan of action any more, I just know you're one of the best mentors I ever had and that I've always valued your opinions and guidance. While I still have dreams of attaining higher athletic capabilities, maybe I should just take a step back and focus on something else? Sorry for the long paragraphs of my venting.
          Anne, That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. First of all. Don't stop running. It is a great escape for all of the stress that you are going through. I'm glad to hear that you are using it that way. You have a lot of great opporunities ahead of you, as with the entire education process, sometimes you have to get through the strong currents before you can get to the calm water. In this case, I would suggest that you run in the summer like you did in the past. Start with easy running, Plan on working on a solid base that will help you later in the summer. Most college runners are not motivated enough to run consistantly in the summer. That is why some are more concerned with faster, more specific workouts. In your case, most consistancy is just what you need to keep anchored. Set up a plan to, first, handle basic mileage, then and the summer progresses, you can add in more specific work. I would suggest a basic build-up progression. This is just like starting over. From what you've said, you've been in a "active rest" period since track, so you've had a break. Start tomorrow, Monday. Begin with around 35 miles a week of relatively easy paced distance, and add 5 miles per week. Do this for five weeks. This will take you to 55 miles that week. At this point you will be feeling pretty good. This is where you can choose to go one of two different directions. One, you can continue your mileage build-up, or two, you can change direction, and start adding in harder runs, remaining at a consistant mileage. You can't have both a build-upin mileage and harder work. It's one or the other at this point. Remember that you have the whole cross country season to do the real quality work. You have about 22 weeks from today until your regional championship. Ten weeks for basic building of stamina and endurance sot that you will be able to handle the harder stuff during the season, two weeks of transition into the season (this usually a drop in mileage and refocus period, then five weeks of transition work, (beginning of harder work), and another five weeks of sharping (real speed building). Remember that running is a challenge. It rewards a person who takes the challenge in a lot of different ways. One of the best rewards is the feeling of handling what most people can't. This is a good place to release stress and to set goals. It's a great place to put pent up frustration, and to come away with a feeling of personal satisfaction.
          Anne Dan

I can work with this, I feel like I could just give up on everything right now, but lilfe's not always on the up. I'll just keep on keepin on...less than two weeks before I am home in Montana for a week. I will not give up on running. I will not give up at school, and I will not give up, period Smile (but now I will get a good night's sleep to go to physical geography class tommorrow!)