Whitefish High School

Running on the lake!?!?! (Read 202 times)

wow...so i just saw that jacob ran on the lake today. i must say that that is pretty much the coolest thing i've ever heard of. if it keeps being cold i might have to try that. but i think i'll do it with another person...for safety reasons.
    Jacob Fern

It was the coolest thing ever! The sun was just setting, so the whole lake was kind of a golden color, and my shadow was about a hundred feet long. There was no one else out there, and the whole lake was covered with a frosty layer of snow that kept you from slipping around (too much...). I stayed near the shore except for the areas where I felt it was safe to go farther away - where i could see that other people had been. I was on the lake for around three miles, then it started getting thin. I was really near shore, but as I was running, I saw a crack forming around me, and I saw some water coming up from it. At that point, i started running on the shore, then cut across some rich person's yard and found a road. It was actually a really good workout because you would slip back a little bit with every step, so it was like running on sand or something.
        that sounds a bit frightening. it was probably because you were out in a deeper part. i looked on your course map thing and that part is way deeper than the bays isnt it?
        Jacob Fern

Yeah, that's probably it... although I was only like 10 feet from shore, so it should have been fairly shallow still. oh well...
            It sounds like you had a great run. It's sounds wierd that the ice would be thin enough to crack with the cold weather we've been having. It's been frigid lately. I would think that if you could crack the ice, the poor ice fisherman are headed for trouble. Bill
              so austin and i ran on the lake today. and it didnt break! it was very cool, just like jacob said...i highly recommend it.
              i ran once

ok jacob, and jana. running of a frozen lake is just like running on the street( not sand), maybe the track. just ask me knee....hello knee what is it like running on ice, "its lie running on the track, you think its soft but no its hard." thanks knee......... but yeah it was fun
                  Hey, anyday not running on the street is a good day. Here's a deal. In February. We have a plan to do a snowshoe run. Well, we should also try to fit in a beach run in March. Yeah, we have a beach to run. In the spring and winter, the water level at Flathead Lake is lower. The beach from Somers to Bigfork opens up and you can have an 8 mile run from Somers to the river and back on the sand. With the water and the seagulls right there. Sure it's a bit chilly, but I've done it in shorts or light leggings before. If you feel especially adventurous you could head out into the lake when you reach the river inlet. The beach heads out into the lake in a cresent shape and you can run along all the huge tree stumps left over from the early days of the lake. It's pretty cool. Kind of like running on Ice. Right now you could do the run, but it would be running on ice over the sand the whole way. Boy, there's so much good running yet to be had. I think Austin should change his running-site name to "still a runner" rather than "I ran once". maybe a combination of the two, "Once a runner" hmmmmmmmm. Bill
                    you should let him borrow that book bill. and jacob too. such a wonderful book. sadly i havnt found a copy i can afford.
                      Janna, It was recently reprinted. Amazon.com should have copies. I'm not sure those two are ready for the book. Do you think they're ready? Bill
                        it was reprinted! yay! yay! yay! i am so very excited. i think jacob is. he would enjoy it. you werent sure i was but i was. right?
                          sad day. i just checked amazon and they still want close to $50 for a used copy. sadly that doesnt fit into my very small budget.
                            You will need to order a new copy. The used copies will be expensive. I'll do some searching around for you. I'm sure I can find where the newer ones are. In response to whether or not you were ready. I think you may have been ready based upon the running you are doing right now, but, I'm not so sure that your ankle was ready. It seemed to give out on a couple of occasions. Bill
                              Yeah it did seem to do that. It's feeling much better now. Most of the time.