Whitefish High School

practice this week (Read 125 times)

Jacob Fern

Hi Bill, I went for a run today, just to see how things felt, and everything was surprisingly good. I only planned to go for a mile or so, but after a little bit I realized that I could keep on going. My calf didn't hurt at all for the first three miles, and for the last one it just felt a bit sore. I actually was able to go pretty fast, too. Here's what I've been thinking: This week, I just want to get back into running regularly. I figure that if I can run 4 miles today without any pain, then I could probably do that or a little more tomorrow, and just progress from there. I am still hesitant to run on Tuesday, since I haven't tried running all that fast, and I don't want to push it and get back to where I started. Instead, I was thinking that I could just go out to the pig farm and get in some running there during practices. I don't think that speed workouts on the track are the right idea yet, and the best thing that I could do right now is just to get back into shape and start getting some real miles in. Let me know if this sounds like a good idea to you. I'll talk to you tomorrow at practice. -Jacob
      Jacob, We talked today about this, but I like your idea. I don't think that you really have to run at the meet, but if you do, I'd suggest the 3200. The one problem to your not running at the meet plan is that you would have to help with the meet. After doing that on Saturday, I think that may be a tougher assignment than running the race. I'd suggest trying the race. Easy at the start. If it feels okay, than continue with a slightly faster pace as you go. If you feel the calf step out of the race before it hurts. The rest of the week I'd agree with the plan, but be careful with the hills at the pig farm. Bill
      Jacob Fern

Sounds good. (you're right... I don't much like the idea of helping out again. Not that I don't like helping, but I'd rather run than take splits. Besides, i'm not good at timing. Too much thinking involved.)