Whitefish High School

Again to Carthage (Read 300 times)

Are you going to make a goal to run every day again? I was telling Bill that I've never made that goal in the past because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do it. But even if you don't do it, you'll get a lot farther than you would have if you never made the goal in the first place, so in the end, it did what it was supposed to do: get you motivated to go run.
    I am not going to do that again, at least not for awhile and never again for an entire year. It was a perfect goal for the winter for me because it did make me get out every single day even if it wasn't very far because I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't made that my goal my runs would have been just as short but much more scarce. And it did allow me to have my best track season ever and that was amazing. But really a year was just too long for me to have that kind of commitment. I never actually really admitted it but towards the end of the summer I actually hated running. Which isn't really a good attitude to go into a xc season with but luckily I made it through and actually salvaged a few good races. So I actually wouldn't recommend the running every day for a year thing. It worked for Anne I guess but then again Anne is crazy (in a good kicking-Westpoint's-butt kind of way of course). I think a couple month streak working up to a certain race or something could be a good idea though. I think Ian's training with other people with similar goals is definitely a good one and I'm actually really lucky to have a couple friends who are dedicated to training through the winter with me and that's something I definitely didn't have last winter. I was also thinking today about how much it helps talking to you guys about my goals and such because it makes me feel more accountable to them. So I'm also kind of hoping that if I do start to slip one of you will call me on it, or at least ask me what's up. I seem to have a hard time bringing up problems when I have them so if you could confront me about it that would be fantastic. Okay I actually have to do homework now... gah
      Motivation, and Burnout. What an interesting topic. First of all, let's look at what we are talking about. There are some coaches that say that burnout doesn't exist, if a person has the right set of goals. I don't know if I share that feeling, but I do believe that burnout doesn't happen as much as we sometimes think it does. When running is new and exciting, it's easy to become motivated to reach for new goals. After reaching, (or not reaching goals), and renewing the process, sometimes is difficult to do. We remember just how tough it is to be dedicated. Sometimes we don't want to put forth the effort. Sure, we want the rewards, but .... since we are further along, we may think that we don't have to do quite as much. I remember when I made a goal to run every day from the end of track season my Junior year and the end of track season as a senior in high school. Why? because I had gotten sick and didn't have a season that I was happy with. I set high goals, and realized that if I failed to make them, I wanted to at least know that I really tried. (ie. no excuses) Well, it worked. I ran every day. I got quite a bit better. I stayed healthy and I ran really fast. It was sweet. Then I decided to compete in college. I really wanted to be successful. I wanted to be one of the best freshman on the team, and I wanted to continue to improve. Well, if running every day worked the year before, I figured, it may help me in the upcoming year. I set goals to gradually increase my milage until cross country started. I remember workouts in college were a heck of a lot harder than when I ran in high school. It seemed like I was barely surviving. But races..... ohhhh. They were great. It was like getting a reward every week. I was able to use my fitness, and surviving the workouts, to really run well. This led to a belief that everything was working and worth the effort. More importantly, I kept ahead of those who did less than me. The ones that skipped days, and didn't seem to really believe that it made a differerence. I found out, that for me, the consistancy really worked, and even though it wasn't always exciting, and that some of the times (and certain parts of the year most of the time) running wasn't always fun and seemed like a chore, it would ulimately make me stronger and faster. That's what I really wanted, and therefore, it was worth the effort. I don't believe I ever experienced "burnout" and that was with running five years without missing a single day. I did experience iron deficency, bronchitis, Over-training, etc. But, even during all the hassles, I still had the belief that the extra work would help me with my running. Burn-out, I believe, is our inner-selves asking us "is it really worth it?" If the answer is I dont know, then the motivation is bound to wane, and eventually we will begin to not like running. Look at your training mileage prior to the "burnout" period. If you never really got into the buildup with consistancy, than you didn't overtrain. You lacked motivation. Janna, this summer, you may have lacked motivation. Jacob, you on the other hand, may have overtrained. I don't think is because of excessive mileage, but rather the lack of down time after your season. In most cases, runners need at least a couple weeks of "active rest" (down time) following a season. Sometimes this can stretch to four weeks. If you take a month or more, you could be in for trouble. Remember, that after a couple of weeks, you begin to lose fitness, so you must regain. Plus, there seems to be a sense of guilt associated with missed time. That makes it hard to get going. Having others around does help quite a bit. But, it's really all about the individual. Coaches can help with motivation. Books, teammates, movies, dreams, newspaper clippings, goals, races, french fries. In the end, it's all about you. What do you want? Is it worth it? Is the goal tangible? Can it be achieved? What will you do when you acheive it? And what goal will you set when you finally do? A runner can't be afraid to run, but they also can't be afraid to have a couple of weeks down between seasons. But a runner is....... a person who runs. A person who doesn't run is a non runner, or a recreational runner. Bill
        Well after readling all of this, here is my 2 cents worth. I run every day, plain and simple, I have it scheduled into my morning so that I do not have an excuse to let other things get in the way. Do I enjoy it every day? No, there are lots of times, especially this time of year when I am inundated with work that it seems like a chore, but, I put my foot out the door and go and that is another day I have run. I do not worry about how many miles I am running (especially this time of year), but I focus on the consistency. By running every day, I remain in "running" shape, I do the aerobics, lifting, walking for fun and fitness, but, none of them keep me in "running" shape. I like to have the running consistency so that I am in shape for xc, I can run anytime with anybody and not suck air the whole time and so that if/when I enter a race I am confident that I can at least run the whole way. My goal is to run every day, but, there are probably 3-5 days a year that I miss due to traveling,etc. do I beat myself up over missing a day every 4-5 months? No, because I know that even though I missed that day, I will still go out the next day and continue without missing for more months. If your goal is to run every day, Jacob, that is a good goal, sometimes you might only get that 1/2 mile in or even miss a day, but, as long you get out and continue from there you should not feel bad about it. As Bill and I have both pointed out consistency is the important thing. Good luck Sara
          Well, it's hard to follow Bill and Sara, but I thought I might throw in an alternative view. Janna, remember last track season when I wasn't really sure I wanted to start running again after skiing and people were having trouble getting going after winter training? Remember how we made running fun again? Yep...adventure runs. I know they might be harder to find in Walla Walla or New York (Jacob don't get mugged), but if you can get a group of people together and just add a little spontaneous fun to your run once in a while - variety always helps. Even running with someone you don't usually run with and talking to them and getting to know them better can make a run go by faster and can sometimes be very inspiring. Sometimes you might want to try mixing up some running days with some alternative workout days too (i.e. biking, xc skiing, etc.) I know it's not running, but once in a while it's better to alternate for a few days than, say, stay inside and not do anything. Anyhoo, I really probably shouldn't talk - skier and all. Good luck with your goals!
            Remember how we made running fun again? Yep...adventure runs. ...add a little spontaneous fun to your run once in a while - variety always helps. Clare, good advice. I think that the key here, it trying to keep it fun. At least, as much as possible. Great goals, great company, great fun.... It wouldn't be such a great activity to be the best if you didn't have a great time getting there. The journey being what everyone remembers, even more than the result. Try not to force it, just give yourself the opportunity to be ready when things round together. Put in the miles, Have fun, and the results will be there. They always are. All you have to think about is all of the good times you've had with your friends with your running experiences, and let them go with you on your runs. Running time, is a good time to reflect on the past, as well as plan for the future. Don't worry too much about the specifics all the time, it's kind of like putting a shovel of dirt in a pile. If you put a shovel full each day on the pile, at the end of a year, you'd be able to stand pretty high at the top. It would be impossible, without a bulldozer, to do the same in a singe day. Look back at what you have accomplished and relish in the fact that you have reached levels that most runners will never acheive. Use this knowledge to help you to reach for even higher goals. Bring your friends along, and teach others to enjoy the experience. Remember that it can be fun if you let it. And it can be made not fun, if you let others to convince you that it isn't fun. Find others that are positive and like having fun with running and run with them, like Clare suggested. Jacob, get involved with the NYRRC. That club is loaded with psyco runners. Janna, Walla Walla is the next running mecca of the Northwest US (since you arrived, that is.) Clare - Ski and ski fast. Faster that that Cold Canadian North wind. Ian, - ditto for you. If someone is going to be the dominant skiier, than why not let it be you. Have fun, Aim high, and outtrain, smartly. Bill