Whitefish High School

Does Plyos help Distance runners???!??! (Read 214 times)

Love to run

I was wondering if I or anyone else who is going out for track should do the workouts tuesdays and thursdays , even if you're a distance runner? Or should I just keep running on my own? I'd like to know thanks Loni
    Jacob Fern

I don't plan on doing it... I just want to keep in shape and keep running. As long as you have a good base when you come into track, we can work on getting fast then.
      Love to run

Thanks Jacob! Loni
          Yeah, i'm not planning on doing plyos either. Like Jacob said, just running more will prepare you the most for track. I thought it was a bit funny how coach Shultz didn't even mention the word "run" at the little meeting this afternoon...only plyos. Huh, yeah anyway...
            I think Coach S knows that you distance types are running. I think he wants to not put the pressure on you. I did Plyo's in high school, but of course I always ran first. It became a second workout. I'm not sure of the complete benefit. I do know that running is a better exercise for runners. Plyo's are good for strength and flexability. Usually the chance for injury is pretty high for distance types. It's a great way to develop calf muscles, which usually leads to shin splints. It's takes a lot of front leg work to keep healthy when doing plyos. Usually ice baths afterwards will help repair the damage. I used to do the workouts mainly to see other people. When I ran back in the day. There was no other runners running in the winter. We know that not to be the case now. Bill
            Love to run

Ok! I think I will just keep running on my own, I don't wanna hurt myself! Thanx for the advice guys. Lets run together sometime. loni
                Loni - Has anyone ever mentioned not to use so many exclaimation points in your online writing. That along with the extra long ha-ha's show uncertainty and nervousness to those that read your posts. Once you put your name at the bottom, we all imagine you speaking and this creates the need not to overdo your post with the extras. I love you read what you write, but, personally I tend to dislike reading posts that have a person telling me that they are smileing (ie. smile) or that they are laughing (HaHa..) Since you are a freshman, and new to most of the running posting I figured I throw out a few pointers. Of course you could just ignore me and continue posting as you do if you'd like, and we'd all understand. Bill
                Love to run

thanks for the advice bill. I appreciate any help I can get. Loni