Whitefish High School

Rugby!!! (Read 176 times)

Shane Hanson

Rugby is the greatest sport ever invented. I mean, full contact without pads, people three times your size taking you out at full speed, concussions being a common recurrence, running seven or eight miles in a game (not at normal running speed, but sprinting the majority of it), puking blood, what more could you possibly want? For real though, rugby is awesome, and my distance running past (which I thought would be a big hindrance) is actually helping a lot, mostly because while everyone else is panting and coughing I'm still running strong, but also because pain is my good pal now, and so when that solid muscle 300-pound forward comes and smears me and then both teams step on me as they fight for possession, I can smile in the most masochistic way imaginable. Anyway, this is mostly for all of you who thought there was no way I could play college rugby...eat it.
      Hmmm... interesting take. I dig it.
        shane you are so cool!
          Two things: First of all - I thought pain was supposed to have been your friend for years!, why is it your pal now? Second - It almost sounds like you've become a football player. Whatever the situation, keep having fun, as it sounds like you are. Bill
          Shane Hanson

pain has been my friend for some time, mostly because of cross country, and that was my point. Also, no, i haven't become a football player at all, rugby is all about fun and then after 80 minutes of beating up on each other, the two teams come together and are like old friends. rugby is all about camaraderie.
              Cool, it was the blood and hitting, etc. that made me wonder. Keep having fun, .....and a good medical plan. Bill
                Go Shane.
                Shane Hanson

so at the game Saturday before last, I was landed on several times during a ruck (this is a rugby thing where both teams fight for possession of the ball after the ball carrier is tackled). Anyway, the results were numerous headaches from trying to deal with the horrible university medical system, a pair of crutches which are now sitting abandoned in my room, and a diagnosis of a high ankle sprain. High ankle sprains are apparently way worse than normal sprains and, according to my crackpot doctor whom I don't trust with my pinky toes, I won't be able to run for 6 weeks. I think this is entirely untrue, however, seeing as how I only actually used the crutches for two days and now I'm walking normally, despite excruciating pain (which strangely occurs more often when I sit or lie down for a long period). I seriously hope I'm not out for 6 weeks because that would basically ruin my entire season, which might not be a terrible thing because then I can spend an entire year focusing on gaining muscle and improving my sprint speed before I go back to playing. Before everyone says "I told you so." I would like to point out that this injury was a fluke and had nothing to do with being too small or getting tackled too hard; it happened when I was lying on the ground after a tackle, and people started falling on me, and one just so happened to fall in just the right way onto my leg. After it happened I did finish the game (another 50-60 minutes of playing), which in hindsight was probably a bad idea.
                  Jacob Fern

Before everyone says "I told you so." I would like to point out that this injury was a fluke and had nothing to do with being too small or getting tackled too hard
                    Yeah... right... Wink