Whitefish High School

Achilles Tendonitis (Read 137 times)

Hey Bill,

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some input about the tendonitis I seem to have acquired in my achilles over the last couple weeks of the season.  I realize that resting it it probably the best way for it to get better, but is there anything else I can do to help it heal faster?  I tried to go for a run the other day and it hurt a lot... I want it to not hurt a lot!

Also, any ideas on what might have caused it other than maybe just doing too much too fast after my quad injury?  I did get new shoes, Asics 2150's, but I've always run in Asics so I feel like that shouldn't be it.

I talked to one of the trainers but I don't really trust him...

Thanks!

I have several suggestions that will help you with your problem.

1st would be to add heel lifts to your shoes, both running shoes and walking shoes.

2nd, try not to wear anything that would considered "a high heel shoe"  These would be the ones that are worn to make a person look taller.

3rd, begin a strectching program for your calves and hamstrings.  Every other day. 

The tendons could be sore for many reasons.  The main thing is that you need to give them time to heal.  As you use them less, they shrink and become less flexible.  So rest isn't always the best answer, by itelf.

The heel lifts will keep the sore tendon from overuse.  You should be able to still run, but take it slow at the beginning of each run, this will allow the tendon to warm-up and strecth naturally.  Do not, under any circumstances stretch prior to running.  This could be how it was hurt to begin with.  Stretch only warm muscles.  use a mile or so to loosen them up, then strectch.  Stetch calf muscles, since tight calf muscles tend to pull on lower tendons.  Stretch hamstring muscles, since tight hamstrings tend to lead to overworked calf muscles, which pull on tight tendons.

You may have changed your runnning style due to your ankle injury and that may have lead to more stress on the tendon.  It could have happened for many different reasons, but the main goal is to take a bit of time, and gradually build your running into a healthy base, without a lot of stress.  Your body will heal itself, if you give it the correct time and effort. 

Bill