Whitefish High School

Jacob - How did the race go? (Read 147 times)

Still waiting on results?
    Jacob Fern

Well, they're up... just within the past couple minutes or so... (http://www.whitefishxc.com/lebow5k07.html) The race was quite an eye opener. First, I didn't think that a course could be as bad as Flathead, let alone worse. But it can. Van Cortlandt park isn't as sunny or dusty as Flathead, but it makes up for it in hills. I went out on the first mile right on pace (5:30... or 33 or something), and then the hills hit, and I must have slowed down quite a bit. I don't know exactally how much, because they didn't mark any miles after the first one. The first mile was flat, and was out in the open in a big field. Then, a little before the second mile starts, we went into the woods and started going uphill. The hills weren't that bad individually, but put together, they were killer. It was a full mile of small up hills with no downhill rests. Then, at the end of the second mile (or what I thought might be the end of the second mile), we started going downhill. The downhills were pretty steep, and they had sharp winding curves at the bottom, making it really hard to get up any speed without killing yourself. Plus, they had wood beams set into the trail to direct the water when it rains, and we had to jump over those as well. I really didn't feel like I was going that slow.. I knew that I slowed down quite a bit during the second mile, but I guess I didn't go as fast as I thought on the downhills. I ended up getting 18:53 (or 55, according to the official time). I don't think I've run that slow for a couple of years. I don't blame it completely on the hills, but i don't really know what else caused it. It was good weather, I was wearing spikes, I would assume that the course is the correct distance... I can't really figure it out. I'm still not feeling all that great, despite things quieting down a bit. I have been taking a multi vitamin every day, as well as an iron supplement (the vitamins don't include iron). Anyway... i suppose it's a starting point. I don't suppose I can go any slower from here... Next week is the queens half marathon... that should be fun. -Jacob
        Very Nice! It's not about the time, when you run races in New York. I'm not sure why race directors feel the need to put turns at the bottom of hills, but they seem to love it. I remember asking at a NJCAA National XC meet once about the saftey issues of making such a turn on a rainslicked surface, and the director and other coaches started laughing at me. It's about how tough the course can be and how radical they can make the conditions. Oh well, that's New York cross country. Don't worry about time right now. Just get out and race. Get used to as much as you can, and then you'll be able to make improvements the next time around. Expect hills everytime out. You'll want to actually do some hill repeats, as well. Not running hilly courses, but actual hill repeats at race pace. That will help you to get used to them. Bill