Weight Watchers on RunningAHEAD

?? and intros (Read 231 times)

Arimathea

Tessa

Someone started a group but was too shy to start any discussion?

Post your introductions here!

MonkeyBunny

Gosh I was proud of myself just to get this setup.

I've met my first 5% goal and close to 10%.

I use the online plan.

Two current challenges:

• I tend to eat the same things. I'm constantly looking for simple recipes for one.  I don't want to cook something for four and have to eat it for half a week.
      • Tracking on weeks with a disruption. For example I can accept not tracking on Christmas Eve and Christmas but there's no reason why I shouldn't track the rest of the week. 

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

AutBatgirl

I joined because I was thinking of joining WW online to get rid of my last 15 pounds, but no one else was here! I'm just interested in hearing if it's worth the cost. I've lost 30 pounds without a lot of effort, and I'm ready to put forth a little more effort for the last 15.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

jackjnston

I am a Lifetime WW member.  Just went back the Monday after Thanksgiving when I decided I am going to do the Philadelphia Marathon in 2013.  I had a year so my first item on the agenda was to get back to my goal weight.  I'm down 6.4 lbs and have about 9 to go.  I like attending meetings.  I go on Mondays and get very motivated with each meeting.  The motivation starts to wane over the weekend and it's back to business on Mondays.  I got a Garmin Forerunner 10 for Christmas and found this site for keeping track of my training and workouts.

MonkeyBunny

jackjnston what do you think of the new 360 plan?  I heard the meetings are more interactive?

I'm not sold on ActiveLink.  I think it's great for people who are couch potatoes but I don't want to earn extra activity points for everyday activities such as laundry.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

Arimathea

Tessa

Hi MonkeyBunny, you did well setting up the group!

I'm Tessa, 49, California resident, and I'm lifetime, have been for the past 15 months -- it took me a year to lose the 45 surplus pounds I was carrying.  Meeting member. ActiveLink wearer.

Batgirl, I think WW meetings work better than WW online, but it's worth a try if you want to do online for a month or two and see if that'll work.

AutBatgirl

Thanks for the info, Arimathea. I'm not really a "meeting" person, mainly I just want someone/thing to tell me what to eat, when. I'm just lazy about what I should fix for meals. I don't eat a lot of sweets, etc., but I don't exactly eat healthy, either.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

MonkeyBunny

WW doesn't tell you what to eat and one of my biggest challenges is coming up with new ideas. If you need more structure you might want to consider another plan.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

BexKix, Bagel Defender

*wave* My name is Becky, and I'm a Weight Watcher.

I made Life status after my son was born.  My daughter was born 6/2011 and I'm still fighting that last 5 pounds or so. My official goal is the very top of my "healthy weight" range (164 which means ~162 neekid at home) but I would love to lose another 10 after that.

I signed up for my first marathon, and weight stories are all over the place for marathon training.  I definitely don't want to overeat my training, my knees are fussy enough and will be adjusting to the mileage... they don't need more load.

Meetings to me were key.  That's just how I motivate.  I'm ok on my own, but need the occasional hand holding/butt kicking to keep me in gear.

Batgirl, WW will help a bit with the 'what,' but not as much as, say, a diabetic type structure.  For me, WW brought out that I didn't eat enough fruits and veggies.  I honestly don't eat enough protein, either, but WW isn't so structured as to draw that out. When I tracked through SparkPeople I saw my macro ratios were pretty awful.  Other apps will give you macros, too.  All in all - if you stick to the plan, if you're honest and track, and stay within points, you will lose.  For me the brutal honesty of tracking when I go overboard at night was the rough part... but when I was honest, tracked, then stayed on plan the rest of the week, I still lost.

MonkeyBunny

Hey BexKix,

The most difficult aspect of marathon training is the "I can eat whatever I want because I just ran 20 miles".

I did the same research you did and it seems like most of the commentary is against trying to lose weight while marathon training but I decided to listen to the 20% who said that you can make it work.  I've lost 15 lbs. on my current marathon training cycle and plan to lose more.  Here's how I made it work:

• I'm training for my 7th marathon.  I chose a beginner plan that emphasized 4x week running with less intensity.  I do think you risk elevating your cortisol levels by running 5-6x a week at high intensity.  I'll save that marathon plan for when I'm at goal weight.
                      • I do my long run on Saturday with my weigh-in on Monday.  I'm usually pretty hungry after a long run, either the day of or day after my long run.  Having Sunday as a buffer means that I'm not overly hungry on weigh in day.
                      • For whatever reason, I'm starving on days where I workout in the morning on cold days.  I usually have extra fruit and a cheese stick, maybe cottage cheese, to help with the hunger, but stay within my points.
                      • Long runs do generate a lot of activity points but I count everything that I consume during a long run.  I use a somewhat different method to calculate long run activity points.  Also, you'll find that most WW runners don't eat all of the activity points generated during a long run.  For example:

I'm running 17 miles tomorrow.  I don't count the amount of time spent running which will probably be 190-200 minutes of running.  Instead number of miles x 10 = 170 minutes running or 34 activity points.

Sounds like a lot but I also count:

Pre run

reduced fat wheat bread = 1 point

1 T creamy peanut butter = 3 points

During run

3 Gus = 9 points

No Gatorade

Post run

Protein drink = 4 points

17 of those 34 points are already used and I might use 10 of the remaining 17 but not all of them

Best wishes on your first marathon!

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

Zelanie

Hello everyone!  I lost just over 100 pounds on WW, and got to goal last August.  Now I work as a receptionist once a week.  I figure that I will need to keep going to make sure the weight doesn't come back, so I might as well get paid since I'll be there anyway!

I didn't really run while I was losing most of my weight, but I started walking and it eventually built into running as I got closer to goal.

This past week has been "interesting" for me since I was really strict with myself while I was losing.  Tracked everything, never went over points, etc.  Now that I'm on maintenance and running more I know I have more wiggle room, but I also found out that giving myself permission not to track for one day also apparently gives me permission to throw moderation right out the window.  Still.  Sigh.  So I was up 3 pounds between Christmas Eve and yesterday.  Now I am back to tracking everything, and hopefully learned something.

MonkeyBunny

Hi Zelanie

i saw your pics on Before and After. Wow!

i have lost 15 lbs so far but have yo yo'd with the same 1.5 in December. I wonder if maintaNing in Dec would have been a more realistic goal. Admittedly I have not tracked well

I envy that you live in OR. Running Mecca. I have a friend who is a RRCA coach in Portland. Pls let me know if you want her info

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

bingo_jenn

Hey all!

I joined WW April 2011, lost about 25 pounds pretty quickly with meetings, then went to online only, and steadily put the weight back on.  Rejoined meetings in April 2012 and have been gaining and losing the same 5 lbs...not really sticking to plan, but still going to meetings.

I know it works when I stick to it.  It's just sticking to it that it's hard!

TurquoiseBlue2

Hello and Happy (and Healthy) New Year 2013 to all WW members in this group and on this msg board! Smile

My name is Patti. I reached Lifetime way back in 1982, thanks to WW, Jacki Sorensen's aerobic dancing and my "jog-walking" which I did on a daily basis. Got married in 2001  and then somehow my fitness workouts and weight management took a severe nose-dive. A nasty slip & fall on the ice on 01/22/2003 landed me on my butt and also from that point on made me a "non-smoker" (after 27 yrs, at 2 paks/day). Not "following WW program and good health guidelines" further led to my having a heart attack on 05/12/08 (100% blockage of my right coronary artery). I was lucky; I survived thanks to aspirin and a stent to open my artery in the local ER.

On January 1, 2012 (one year ago today!) my medical scale read my weight as 248.60. NOT good! DH said, "You ARE going back to WW" (even after his working 2 jobs to help ensure I'll have e-Tools each month until goal weight again). Smile He's totally supportive! - I'm blessed! Smile

I Weighed in on 01/05/12 at 243.60. Then, 2 weeks later, my Dr appeared to me in a dream, nicely shaking her finger at me, stating, "You have diabetes!" That woke me up at 3:30am that morning & DH told me it was a bad dream... but I could NOT get back to sleep!! Sad to say, this was a dream that DID come true, because my lab work results a month later showed my blood sugar to be 127, within the diabetic range. NOT good! Sad In addition, BP NOT good: 142/98. OUTCH!

So my Dr said, the weight is coming down beautifully, KEEP up the good work, etc.

Now... the GOOD news!............

Thanks to WW, my weight now 164.40 (still aiming for goal weight!). Last month, BP was 108/70 (BP med for that). Triglyceries down to 86 (from 160). HDL now up to 66 from a 47. Total cholesterol 147 (taking statin for that). Yes, I was lucky... got a new lease on my life! Want more? My ejection fraction of my heart after my heart attack nearly 5 years ago was like only 45%/50%. And now? My echo test last April showed it was up to 66%. My cardiologist is thrilled (boy, I'd like to see the % now, with the added jogging I've been doing since then!! LOL! :O ). Of course, I have both Dr's blessing on my jogging and interval training efforts. Even though I'm like a "penguin" (maybe go only as fast as 4.5 mph on a treadmill, I have very short legs!!), I'm "out there", right?! Smile And, I feel GREAT!! EVERYONE SHOULD FEEL THIS GOOD!

My 2 Drs are amazed. And the best is yet to come in 2013! This could be my "goal weight year"! After my 1st lab work, I kicked up my exercise from 30 to at least 60 (or up to 90) minutes 6 days a week. In the summer I started adding light jogging - and I love it! Who would believe I'd be feeling THIS great at 57, huh?! LOL! Now my last year's Lands' End size 3X winter down coat is like a tent on me!! LOL :O

Yes, I think we can ALL "EXPECT AMAZING" when we follow program, track, follow the good health guidelines, and (for us meeting members) attend meetings at least once each and every week.

Sorry for the long post... but I got a real "charge" out of jogging 72 laps around my Bally's gym track Sunday, with hardly any walking breaks... progress!!

More challenges to come: DH diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 just 3 weeks ago... so I got my work 'cut out for me,' as they say!

We both bought ourselves FitBit monitors, and I also got a Hoopnotica hoola-hoop under my tree! Smile

Good running to all my WW friends in 2013! Smile

I want to live - not merely survive! And I won't give up this dream that keeps me alive!

MI Survivor:  05/12/2008

WW Member (84.2 lbs. lost since 01/01/2012)

Zelanie

Money Boney, don't think I'm ready for a coach just yet, but it is a great place to run here!

Turquoise Blue, sounds like you made HUGE improvements to your health in 2012!  I'm sure 2013 will be a great year for you as well!  My DH has not yet completely embraced the lifestyle change just yet, but hopefully this is his year too.