Barefoot Runners

Blisters and VFFs?? (Read 673 times)

Hey kids - very much new to this group - lots of great information. I haev some questions for all the veteran VFF people out there.

I just picked up a pair of KSO's. I ran for the first time this morning, on a treadmill, at a nine minute pace. About two miles in, I started getting a hotspot on the bottom of my right toe. and I got a blister on outside of my right big toe.

Background: I wear a 10.5 "normal" shoe, and I am in a 43 KSO. I tried a 44, but they seemed to have some room in the toes. The sales person who fit me told me they should be snug, so with the pair that I have, 4 out of the 5 toes are fit right into the toe pockets with no loose material dangling at the end.

I am wondering if this hotspot/ blister thing is normal for the first couple of miles, or pehaps I am in the wrong size? Until the blister heals I am going to have to run in my regular shoes. I have two weeks to return the shoes back to the place that I bought them.

Any advice/ insight would be helpful Smile

i got a small blister from the seam near the big toe, on the outside.  But I backed off until the blister wasn't "hot" and wore them for short distances and they were fine.
      Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      Buzzie

Bacon Party!

The hotspot on the bottom of the big toe may well be an issue with form - too much friction, pushing off rather than lifting the foot. Consider a true barefoot run - the VFFs leave a lot of room for error and guessing.

The blister on the outside of the toe sounds like it *might* be the shoe - or form.

Liz

pace sera, sera

The only time I got blisters were in the very beginning and when running on a treadmill. The blisters in the beginning were from the seems in the VFF.

Eternal Rookie

I wear a 10.5 street shoe and 11 – 11.5 in a running shoe and I was fitted in a 42 Sprint. I now have a used 43 KSO (long story) that I ran in yesterday and it feels “big” but when I pull the strap tight, I’m okay (my toes fill the pockets but it leaves some space in the back of the heal). Now the inside eyelet piece (if that makes any sense) on my right foot rubbed a blister when I ran but it was also my longest run in them to date 11 miles. The farthest that I had gone before that was 7.  

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Why are you using VFFs on a treadmill?  Is it a gym that bans barefooting?  Because if not, you'll be a lot better off just doing that.

VFFs don't work for everybody, because they're so shaped to the feet.  If your feet are too oddly shaped, it's hard to get a good fit.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Huaraches Maker

VFFs didn't work for me... aside from having a longer 2nd toe which made them not really fit, when I tried to ignore that aspect of things, I ended up with a lot of chafing on my heel.

That was part of what inspired my move to huaraches (when I want  something other than just skin on the ground)

-Steven

VFFs didn't work for me... aside from having a longer 2nd toe which made them not really fit, when I tried to ignore that aspect of things, I ended up with a lot of chafing on my heel.

That was part of what inspired my move to huaraches (when I want  something other than just skin on the ground)

-Steven

From your pictures, I would say my second toe is longer than yours. Mine is a good 1/4" longer than my big toe. This does create issues with getting my big toe to fit correctly, but I don't have the heel issue you are describing. I am actually going to try some of the Feelmax Niesa, because of this, blisters, and so that I can wear socks if I like.