Barefoot Runners

Running Moccasins (Read 1125 times)

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Nothing is my friend. When my feetsies get a stink, my shoes follow right behind.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Then I guess powder is your friend. Or maybe you're blessed with non-stinky feet!

Powder tends to make things smell worse.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Arla - got the socks today and did a very hot and humid mile wearing them and my RunAMocs. They are GREAT! Thanks for such a great recommendation - I really appreciate it.

TRUST THE PROCESS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

lvleph, thanks for pointing these out to me; they may be what I've been wanting.  $87 may be a lot, but it's significantly less than each of the pairs of Brooks I've bought in the last two years.

Still planning on going truly BF whenever distance and road surface permits.

shaceyMcbride5

I actually have a pair of those coming in the mail. I'm new at this minimalist thing and can't find VFFs anywhere near me. Esp since my 2nd toe is longer than big toe - which I hear is a potential prob with fitting VFFs - this seemed like a good option for me. Someone on RunningAhead wears and likes them, which is in part why I'm going to try them, but I can't remember who it was that recommended.

Big grin Try vff from zbsports.com.

--Life is a constant change.

saucony

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

No need to try VFFs - I like my mocs just fine.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Big grin Try vff from zbsports.com.

--Life is a constant change.

saucony

VFFs, IMO, kind of suck. Sure they were nice when I didn't know any better, but there are just too many problems with them.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Since I so far have no minimalist footwear, I'm trying to decide what will be best for winter, and for trail running.  lvleph, you seem to like the Huaraches, not the Vibrams.  I'm leaning toward Huaraches for rough surfaces, and maybe the moccasins for cold weather running.  Thoughts, anyone?

Since I so far have no minimalist footwear, I'm trying to decide what will be best for winter, and for trail running.  lvleph, you seem to like the Huaraches, not the Vibrams.  I'm leaning toward Huaraches for rough surfaces, and maybe the moccasins for cold weather running.  Thoughts, anyone?

Depends how COLD you're talking. Since you're from Nebraska, I reckon you get a pretty decent winter.

There are some folks who can stomach running barefoot in the snow. I am definitely not one of them, and it's a dangerous game you play with frostbite.

I tried a number of items last winter and ended up with the VFF Flows. They are slightly insulated and worked out well.

I have not tried running mocs, but I've heard good things about them. Good luck

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

I use flows (last winter I did), but I am considering the Mocs. The flows don't really keep your feet warm (they do a little). I wear them because of the wet snow. I am going to try running in the Huaraches as long as I can. If it becomes too much for my feet I will get the Mocs. I like the idea of the Mocs, because I can wear a nice wool sock in them, where as you can't really do that in the Flows. The one big issue I have with the Flows is that the toes are too tight, and I got them too big. The tightness of the toes are on the verge of painful, but it did get better over the limited 35 miles I ran in them. The other issue was that they didn't have enough traction on wet snow. The off road Mocs, would solve that traction issue. I don't think Huaraches will have any issue with traction. 

Anyway, there are my thoughts dumbed out for you.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Sounds good.  I've got a pair of Huaraches on order & I'll probably order the mocs as well in a month or two.