Barefoot Runners

Vibrams are In, My Back is Out (Read 211 times)

NolaGal1

Just writing to vent.  I am a long time wannabe runner who was finally getting somewhere without injuries and my back went out.  I credit finding this forum for my improved form and holding off the typical injuries that haunt me in the past...no shinsplints, hip pain etc.  I had done a little barefoot at the track and along the packed dirt trolley tracks nearby.  The rest of my running was mostly in XC flats.  I ordered Vibrams but had to send them back for a different size so I didn't get to run in them.

I doubt seriously my back issue has anything to do with running.  It's been happening (in less dramatic fashion) for a couple of years.  Every so often it went out.  Last year it happened and I went to rehab and did a lot of stretching and ab work.  This time I'll be getting the workup...MRI etc.

I've been chomping at the bit to go running and as if to tease me, the universe sends my Vibrams to my doorstep today!  I guess I'll have to be patient and just wear them to walk around for now.

mokaman

Hope your back feels better soon!  Your Vibrams will need a running workout soon..

I was just trying some Vibrams on at the store today for possible trail running. Tried the KSO's and the Flows on, I think I liked the KSO's alittle better. I'm not sure what to make of them so far, having the fabric between each toe is very very different to me.

Good luck with the back. 

NolaGal1

Thanks.  I went to work today without pain meds and without the cane!  That is progress.  I'm hoping with a little more rest I'll be ready for the local 'boot-camp' I signed up for which starts on 6/29...and back to running!  And, I plan on going crazy with some core work!

I'm still going to the othopedic guy next week since this seems to be happening more frequently, but for once I'm hoping a doctor will tell me it's all in my head.