Barefoot Runners

VFF frequently asked questions (Read 340 times)

Gig

I bought my first pair of VFFs this weekend. Before buying them, I tried to do some research. I wanted to know how long I could expect them to last, so I went to the Vibram website, and to their FAQ section.

Apparently, the question of how many miles you can expect to get out of them hasn't come up all that often. The question of whether one can wear VFFs if they have webbed toes is frequently asked, but nothing about how long they'll last. (Spoiler alert: no go for the webbed toes. Sorry.)

Imminent Catastrophe

Vibram soles are pretty durable and unlike running shoes you don't have the cushioning material that wears out in 300 miles or so, so I expect they would last a long time. I don't have enough miles on mine to tell yet.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Certainly Something...

Ed4's log claims: 1129 on his Virbam FiveToes (Active)

Seems like a viable claim really.  I bet he gets more than that in the end.  He might come in to say that was multiple pairs, but we'll see.

Ed4's log claims: 1129 on his Virbam FiveToes (Active)

Seems like a viable claim really.  I bet he gets more than that in the end.  He might come in to say that was multiple pairs, but we'll see.

Pretty sure he's stated that is on one pair before.

The question of whether one can wear VFFs if they have webbed toes is frequently asked, but nothing about how long they'll last. (Spoiler alert: no go for the webbed toes. Sorry.)

That's not necessarily true - one guy in the minimalist / barefoot / huarachies google group sewed his up to create vibram 4 fingers:

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Unless you accidentally get your Vibrams caught on something and get a bad tear, longevity shouldnt be an issue.

Vibrams will outlast any running shoe by a thousand miles!

My first pair of Vibrams (sprints) that I got two years ago have a ton of hard miles as well as a bunch of hiking, swimming, camping, climbing and day to day wear and they dont have any rips, tears or degradation.

Boy, they look dirty and smell like funk... But I bet I could get at least 3-4 more years out of them. 

I cringe when I think about the $100pair of running shoes I was buying every 3-4 months... ouch!

The right path is my path.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yes, that mileage is on one pair. 

I may never find out how much mileage they can ultimately take, because I'm at the point where I'd rather be running barefoot anyway.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                Sasha's got over 2,000 miles on his.