Barefoot Runners

A word of caution if you consider wearing Vibrams (Read 289 times)

Hey guys,

I just joined the BF group. After 2 years of slowly transitioning to a completely barefoot and Vibrams runner, I ran the Dallas White Rock Marathon last december totally barefoot!  It was my funnest (and slowest) marathon yet.

I couldn't think of any great barefooting advice to give at the moment but there is one thing I wanted to mention that WILL happen to you if you wear Vibrams out in public...

You will be asked an un-ending stream of questions wherever you go.  Such as:

"where did you buy those things?"

"are those water shoes?"

"are those for rock climbing?"

"hey look at that guys shoes"

"are those comfortable? they look comfortable." 

(the last one is my personal fav because wouldnt a super cushiony athletic shoe look comfortable? not a

non-supportive non-cushioned thing like the Vibrams? lol)

I wore my Vibrams to the state fair once.  (just for training, not for fashion of course)  I couldn't walk 10 feet in that place and ppl were asking me questions left and right!

Dont get me wrong.  I love to advertise these things.  I have led at least 10 ppl to buy them, including one of my professors.  But it gets a little old after some time.  We are certainly not trying to make fashion statements here but you will not get away without a TON of strange looks and questions.  At least when you are completley barefoot ppl think you are strange and they dont talk to you. 

Just thought I would put that out there.  Anyone else have funny vibram stories??

The right path is my path.

Tim Ferriss (4 hour work week guy) did a video on them and suggested that you use the attention you get to pick up chicks.  You won't have to initiate the conversation - they'll come to you. Big grin

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)