Barefoot Runners

Running with Debby (Read 515 times)

Half Fanatic #846

Well, I don't even know if she's a tropical storm any longer - but here in the Fla. panhandle it's definitely wet and windy (wish Texas and the midwest could've gotten some of this!). The schedule called for a run this AM, and I looked forward to it. I like running in the rain in the summertime, but not if it's blowing, pelting, stinging rain. 

So it rained steadily on me the whole time and I was soaked soon after starting. I took my glasses off pretty soon - they were useless!  There was some debris on the roads from wind having blown down small branches, leaves, pine cones, twigs, etc. and lots of water in the road. One solitary Great Blue Heron watching me run over the dam, and later an Osprey circling overhead looking for a meal in the lake, even in this weather. The water was choppy, and I couldn't see the other side like I always could before.  Nobody else was out, just an occasional car passing by; every other one seemed to slow down wondering if they should offer a ride or see if I was okay, but I just smiled and waved them off. I had to make sure I ran "safely" because the sounds of the storm made it difficult to hear traffic coming, and there are hills and blind curves in this area. 

Over an hour later, I got back to the house and a hot shower. I didn't have any wet shoes to dry out, and the feet felt great. The run was really enjoyable and gave me time to think about people in the more severely affected areas of the storm - I know there were some tornados and lots of flooding in other areas - I'm hoping everyone is okay and damage is minimal!

Happy running!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Nice, Brer Bill!

(Modified to change Beer to Brer, which was my intent. Beer didn't make sense in the context, but I may go have a beer ASAP.)

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

+1 on sending the rain to TX! We thought it was going to head west and give us a bit here in Austin...

Question: Did you get prune feet from the water? Any effects on feet? I don't get chance to run on wet ground. Neither the weather or DW is cooperating.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

Nice, Brer Bill!

(Modified to change Beer to Brer, which was my intent. Beer didn't make sense in the context, but I may go have a beer ASAP.)

Well, in my younger days, I would have probably said "Hey! I'm changin' my name to Brer Beer" (I thought you knew I had a beer after my run - I did, but it was the day after...); but now I don't really need beer to become confused...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Half Fanatic #846

+1 on sending the rain to TX! We thought it was going to head west and give us a bit here in Austin...

Question: Did you get prune feet from the water? Any effects on feet? I don't get chance to run on wet ground. Neither the weather or DW is cooperating.

I had always assumed if I got prune skin from just swimming for awhile, I would get it from running BF in the rain or on wet streets.  But, I have gone over 2 hours on very wet asphalt (and an hour the other day in a steady rain) with no noticeable effect.  So as far as I know - the short answer is "nope". 

MTA re: Leming review

Don't dry rubberized type shoes in the clothes dryer (I know better - just wasn't thinking). The sole of one shoe separated about halfway  from the bottom of the footbed.  Right now, it's sitting in the corner with rubber cement applied to it and some books weighing it down for a couple of days.  But I think it will be a losing battle. The good news is the other shoe is just fine...Confused