Barefoot Runners

Barefoot and shoe hybrid schedules. (Read 304 times)

Skooter 3.0

I am increasingly more and more interested in barefoot running as a way to improve form and prevent injury. That said, while I am working towards incorporating a sizeable amount of barefoot running into my training, I'm not convinced that I want to give up shoes entirely. 

Does anyone here run in a mix? Say- 20 mpw barefoot 25 mpw in shoes etc...?

I definitely believe that barefoot running can really help to find your optimum form, and to strengthen your arches. I have been having a lot of chronic soreness, not enough to stop, but enough to not really enjoy running as much as I used to wearing support shoes with doctor prescribed orthotics. I dug up an older pair of Newton racing flats I had, and the day after running an pretty damn uncomfortable 7 miles in the orthotics and support shoes, I ran an amazing feeling 8 miles, and 12 the next morning wearing the newtons! I do find that the Newtons really help change my form to a more mid-foot stride. That said, they are over $150 and that is ridiculous. 

So- Do people mix the two running styles? If so, what shoes do you folks wear? I would guess neutral trainers or racing flats?

What's the consensus?

Goals?

I started my barefoot running with hybrid runs. I wore normal light weight running shoes at that time. I would suggest most of the new barefooters to start with hybrid runs. Take your shoes off for short distances at first and gradually increase the mileage. Personally I found that most time consuming factor was the toughening of the skin of my soles. It took me over a year to toughen them so that I was able to run proper distances. Nowadays I am carrying aqua socks with me and slip them on when the surfaces are too rough.

Unfortunately, or luckily, I was able to change my work and nowadays work almost exclusively in a forest. That way I get lots of walking during the days and other activities has been reduced. Still trying to keep my daily barefooting in decent amount of time.

So only suggestion that I have is to do hybrid barefoot runs. Listen the feelings of your soles and if they start to feel sensitive or hot, just slip your shoes on for the rest of the run. Gradually your distances will increase.

I only run barefoot on a treadmill. During the winter I was at a 12 barefoot mile / 23 shoe miles per week ratio. I only run on my treadmill occasionally during the summer. I might do 12 barefoot miles a month now.

I like barefoot running because it extends the life of my running sneakers. I also think avoiding running on my treadmill with sneakers that have rocks/dirt may be good for the treadmill. It is more economics for me, not so much to improve form or prevent injury.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yes, you can run a mix.  I think the best way to do so is to do part of your normal runs while carrying your shoes.

It's not about mixing "styles".  Your goal is to run better, whether you're in shoes or not.  So you want to be consciously working to carry over the form you learn while barefooting into the runs where you're shod.

The problem is it can be very difficult to carry it over, when you're still just learning.  So you end up going back and forth and progress becomes slow.

The fastest way to learn is to go 100%.  Of course this means reducing mileage for a while.  Once you've internalized a better form, then you can run in shoes when you want and still keep your new form.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Skooter 3.0

Well, even if it may be slightly ill-advised, I'd rather integrate barefoot training slowly than give up miles at this point. 

Thanks for the response, Ed! If you use shoes what kind do you recommend? I would gues as neutral as possible?

Goals?

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

For cheap and neutral, try some aquasocks. 
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.